Reload this Page >

Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

Old 12-11-13, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

The Muppet episode was bad, but the Christmas one was truly tasteless. No wonder they did not air it last year...absolutely no redeeming qualities about it (and it is suppose be about Christmas?). I could only get thru 3/4 of the episode, before I had to turn it off.
Old 12-11-13, 09:00 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falc04
The Muppet episode was bad, but the Christmas one was truly tasteless. No wonder they did not air it last year...absolutely no redeeming qualities about it (and it is suppose be about Christmas?). I could only get thru 3/4 of the episode, before I had to turn it off.
Honestly I think I've hated every Christmas episode they've done so far and this was no exception. The New York scenes -- which I didn't mind last year -- have become almost unbearable this season. The scenes with Rachel and her band of like-minded buddies lacks any tension, or interesting tension, at least. The McKinley stuff isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's not the getalong gang.
Old 12-11-13, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DRG
Honestly I think I've hated every Christmas episode they've done so far and this was no exception. The New York scenes -- which I didn't mind last year -- have become almost unbearable this season. The scenes with Rachel and her band of like-minded buddies lacks any tension, or interesting tension, at least. The McKinley stuff isn't perfect by any means, but at least it's not the getalong gang.
I enjoyed the season 2 and 3 Christmas episodes. The one with Brittany still believing in Santa was well done, and actually quite touching at times. And season 3's redux of the Judy Garland 1963 Christmas special was good as well.

But this 'unaired Christmas special' was just downright vile. Hard to believe it came from the same writers (although I would have to guess it did not).
Old 12-20-13, 08:40 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Honestly I thought the whole 'unaired' aspect with Sue's intro was just a gimmick to make it somehow seem more appealing than it was.

The fact that Cory Monteith and Britney were missing when they should have been around last season and Santana's forced 'visit' to NYC only seemed to reinforce this.

The Lima, OH and NYC storylines were both so weak I kept stopping to reread the episode synopsis to figure out what I was watching. They should have just had them put on a Christmas show and do covers of popular Christmas songs since that was the only thing worth watching. Too bad it only lasted for about 10 minutes of the episode.

And please dont ever show us Coach Bieste's bare legs again!!! Lord knows Dot Marie Jones has overcome more than her share of physical challenges to show up on our TV screens but those have to be the worst legs I have ever seen. Lord woman, you're playing a gym teacher, do some lunges or something. Jeesh!
Old 12-20-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

I'm still watching, but it's just mediocre. I still like some of the music, but it doesn't have the capacity to move like it did, and the characters are generally annoying. I think the Beatles album is the first one I didn't buy because I would never want to hear those songs again.

And I also assume that the episode really wasn't from last year, though quick online research is not conclusive.
Old 01-05-14, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I finally managed to get caught up last night, watching the previous 2 episodes. They fit in perfectly with my earlier post about episodes making me question why I still watch. Both were pretty bad. I'm hoping that the long gap between episodes will help to freshen things up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by davidh777
And I also assume that the episode really wasn't from last year, though quick online research is not conclusive.
That is correct. It was filmed in November of 2013. The whole "unaired" thing was just a gimmick, as someone mentioned earlier. Supposedly, it was done that way because the back half of the 4th season and the first half of this 5th season are taking place in the same calendar year.
Old 03-08-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone been watching this, since it came back from hiatus? The first show was tolerable, and the last one was pretty good. Still too much potty-mouthed Becky, but at least they seem to be focusing more now on the original cast members from the first couple of seasons. In two weeks the 100th episode airs, and it is suppose to be pretty special...we'll see.
Old 03-08-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still watching too. Both episodes were pretty good. I've never really been an Adam Lambert fan, but he's winning me over.

I'm not a Becky fan, honestly. The focus on the originals is alright, but they are really sacrificing building anything interesting for the newer characters. It's tough to balance it when you've got so many characters though.
Old 03-08-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The producers have said that in a couple more episodes, they will be shifting the focus of the show over to New York exclusively. Sam, Artie, and Blaine will be joining Rachel, Kurt, and Santana. Tina will be kicked into the same black hole that Mike fell into. The newbies have been basically wallpaper the last couple of episodes anyway.
Old 03-09-14, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really sure how I feel about that. So, I guess that since they didn't get to do the NYC spin-off they're just going to do it this way. Just seems like an odd choice.
Old 03-09-14, 03:43 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Once they do that I think I'm done with the show for good. I enjoyed the NYC stuff in the beginning when it was about Rachel fighting the odds and battling Kate Hudson, but they rushed Rachel's success in an uninteresting way and I just don't find any enjoyment in their dumb band. Recycling the Rachel/Santana feud isn't doing it for me... I've always enjoyed this show the most when there was a big common 'foe' for the main characters to overcome, like the rival choirs.

And is Kurt still in NYADA? Honestly, his whole character seems to revolve around this ridiculous cover band these days... or as an accessory to the Rachel/Santana spat. Kurt barely exists as a character anymore.
Old 03-09-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
And is Kurt still in NYADA? Honestly, his whole character seems to revolve around this ridiculous cover band these days... or as an accessory to the Rachel/Santana spat. Kurt barely exists as a character anymore.
I feel like he dropped out at some point, but I can't seem to recall if it I'm imagining that or not.

I think the biggest thing that annoys me about the series is that so many storylines just ultimately lead nowhere. Characters just come and go for no apparent reason. It makes it tough to invest in a character when they're a major focus for the majority of the season and then they're quietly shuffled off to the background.
Old 03-10-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the show needs to pick a location and stick with it:

+1 to the Rachel success being too quick - They should have had her get some smaller roles first and that would have led to more songs

I like the band that kurt has - just opens it up to more cover songs and Lambert is good

I hope they drop the high school plot - just for the fact to get away from Sue & Becky.
Old 03-10-14, 09:49 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I like the band that kurt has - just opens it up to more cover songs and Lambert is good
I wouldn't mind it so much if it was just a background thing... it's just annoying to me that so much of the NYC story focuses around this band as if they were some big national act or something. You barely hear a peep about Kurt and NYADA (if he's even still there) or even, really, Rachel's Funny Girl (aside from the Santana stuff) yet there have been countless stories about this silly gimmick cover band (that, frankly, will never hit it big -- or wouldn't in the real world, at least).
Old 03-10-14, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
yet there have been countless stories about this silly gimmick cover band (that, frankly, will never hit it big -- or wouldn't in the real world, at least).
I agree - but they have to get Lambert and Demi into the show somehow.
Old 03-19-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

The 100th episode had some really enjoyable numbers in it, but the character interactions are so annoying. Considering they wrapped up one feud during the episode, I'm hoping they'll finish off the other in the second part. (Wouldn't it have made more sense to have one double-length "100" episode? Maybe Fox didn't want to give them the slot.) Never mind that it's absurd to have Rachel and Santana getting the lead and understudy of a major revival, with all other auditioners being High School Musical-type rejects.

The returning cast was great, though.
Old 03-20-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't really watched an entire episode through since sometime in the middle of season 3. I saw an ad for this during another show and decided to zap it. Outside of the song by the three ex-cheerios, which I watched all the way through for obvious reasons, I pretty much forwarded through the entire episode.

Who was the other person in the portrait next to Finn's? I didn't recognize them.
Old 03-20-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quinn looked good.
Old 03-20-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Quinn looked good.
indeed!
Old 03-20-14, 12:40 PM

I watched this and the music was good. Gweneth Paltrow was back.

I found it funny how the glee club spent all the money that was donated to them (referencing all the elaborate sets they build for musical numbers in the auditorium) - That was clever -

I hope this is the end to everyone at that high school (no more Sue, Becky, teachers, cheer leaders, etc) Let people move to NY and do the show from there.
Old 03-20-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Quinn looked good.
She sure did. That Toxic number was fantastic.
Old 03-21-14, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite number was Valarie, with Mike and Brittney reprising some of their past dance moves together. This was my favorite episode since season 3's finale. Hope the original cast all moves to NYC, so the show can get back to focusing on them once more.
Old 03-21-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
Who was the other person in the portrait next to Finn's? I didn't recognize them.
She was the original coach of the glee club who passed away before Will took over.

The 100th episode was a good one. Having all of the originals back was a strong reminder of what used to be. More than anything else, it really felt like the first half of a series finale. Waaaaaaaaaay more than I was expecting it to.
Old 03-25-14, 08:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I hope this is the end to everyone at that high school (no more Sue, Becky, teachers, cheer leaders, etc) Let people move to NY and do the show from there.
I'm the complete opposite... the high school story is the only thing keeping me around. These last few episodes have been the best ones this season, in my opinion. With the arc (and high school story) ending tonight, this episode will effectively be a series finale for me. The New York stuff is like AfterMASH, Three's a Crowd, or Joey.
Old 03-25-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I'm the complete opposite... the high school story is the only thing keeping me around. These last few episodes have been the best ones this season, in my opinion. With the arc (and high school story) ending tonight, this episode will effectively be a series finale for me. The New York stuff is like AfterMASH, Three's a Crowd, or Joey.
Couldn't disagree more. I think the show is 10,000 times better during the NYC stuff. I can't wait to get out of the split-high school stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.