DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Michael J. Fox Show - Series Premiere - "Pilot"/"Neighbor" - 9/26/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613843-michael-j-fox-show-series-premiere-pilot-neighbor-9-26-13-a.html)

moviefan2k4 09-25-13 10:04 PM

The Michael J. Fox Show - Series Premiere - "Pilot"/"Neighbor" - 9/26/13

Here's the full promo spot for The Michael J. Fox Show. The premiere's tomorrow night; anyone else watching?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SXl-krlLoxg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Original Desmond 09-26-13 04:26 AM

Re: Michael J. Fox May Return to Television

Watched the first episode

to be honest, didn't laugh once

Purely out of respect for Axel P Keaton, i;m gonna give it another few episodes but it's not looking good

moviefan2k4 09-26-13 06:15 AM

Re: Michael J. Fox May Return to Television

Originally Posted by Original Desmond (Post 11848694)
Watched the first episode

How? The premiere's not until tonight.

Purely out of respect for Alex P. Keaton, I'm gonna give it another few episodes, but it's not looking good
Fixed for you.

dex14 09-26-13 06:44 AM

The Michael J. Fox Show - Series Premiere - "Pilot"/"Neighbor" - 9/26/13

http://1-ps.googleusercontent.com/x/...Ug5xqmzPWX.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SXl-krlLoxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look who's making the news again! One of NY's most beloved news anchors, Mike Henry (Michael J. Fox, "Spin City", "Family Ties"), put his career on hold to spend more time with his family and focus on his health after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. But now five years later, with the kids busy growing up and Mike growing restless, it just might be time for him to get back to work. Having never wanted Mike to leave in the first place, his old boss Harris Green (Wendell Pierce, "Treme", "The Wire") jumped at the chance to get him back on TV. The trick, as it's always been, was to make Mike think it was his idea. After several - okay, many - failed attempts, Mike's family, anxious to see him out of the house, finally succeeded in getting him to "run into" Green. Now their plan is in motion. He'll be back to juggling home, family and career, just like the old days - only better.

Season 1, Episode 1
Episode Synopsis: In the series premiere of this comedy, a popular news anchor heads back to work after a five-year break to focus on his family and health, and both his family and his boss are happy about his return—especially since they collaborated to orchestrate it. Original Air Date: Sep 26, 2013

Season 1, Episode 2
Episode Synopsis: Mike deals with a noisy neighbor (Tracy Pollan) who finds him attractive, though he pretends not to enjoy being the object of her crush. Elsewhere, Ian takes a romantic interest in Eve's new friend; and Leigh plays along when she's mistaken for being Graham's mom. Original Air Date: Sep 26, 2013

TGM 09-26-13 07:56 AM

Re: The Michael J. Fox Show - Series Premiere - "Pilot"/"Neighbor" - 9/26/13

I'll give it a shot, but I've heard it is not that funny. That, coupled with my discomfort with watching Michael J Fox contort around these days likely means I won't be around for long.

Gizmo 09-26-13 09:18 AM

The previews actually looked pretty good for this. I'll tune in.

If it bombs...NBC is stuck with 20 more episodes as it was picked up for a full Season before it even shot a pilot.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-26-13 03:54 PM

Funny it will come after Parks and Rec my favorite comedy now and the show with one of the actors from one of my favorite shows in the 80's "Family Ties"

Maybe I will dump Brooklyn Nine-Nine and just watch the Michael J Fox Show instead.

JZ1276 09-26-13 03:57 PM

I caught episode 2 last night & was definitely uncomfortable watching. It was hard to even understand his lines a lot of the time. I think I laughed once, and it was a pity laugh. I'm a fan of MJF and know I'm going to be stuck watching every week out of guilt.

malichai 09-26-13 04:13 PM

It just wasn't funny, while also being uncomfortable watching MJF. My mother AND my best friend's mother have Parkinsons (what a shit lottery our mom's "won") and that doesn't make it any better for me.

Original Desmond 09-26-13 05:07 PM

If there were one or two of the rest of the cast who were outstanding, maybe gun new talent and Michael J Fox was in more of a 'passing the torch' kind of role, then it could have worked, but with it being totally MJ centric, i don't think it can.

The rest of the cast aren't terrible but no one stands out

fujishig 09-26-13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 11848772)
I'll give it a shot, but I've heard it is not that funny. That, coupled with my discomfort with watching Michael J Fox contort around these days likely means I won't be around for long.

Originally Posted by malichai (Post 11849466)
It just wasn't funny, while also being uncomfortable watching MJF. My mother AND my best friend's mother have Parkinsons (what a shit lottery our mom's "won") and that doesn't make it any better for me.

I didn't want to be "that guy" but the clips I've seen of it and Fox's acting does kind of make it a little unsettling to me. I'll watch it (and heck, I've always liked Fox), but I too don't have high hopes.

JuryDuty 09-26-13 05:29 PM

I don't know--I thought the previews for this one looked hilarious. Interested to see if it's as good as it looks.

Deftones 09-26-13 05:33 PM

he was on Stern yesterday and I definitely had a little difficulty understanding him a few times. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt of several episodes before I bail on it.

Mike86 09-26-13 06:18 PM

To be honest my impressions from the trailer were that it's a comedy but it seems like it has a bit more substance to it than just being a typical sitcom. I'm definitely in for the season and it's hard to judge a show well of it's first few episodes anyways. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for a while.

JoPlease 09-26-13 07:24 PM

I thought the second episode was much better than the first one.

Double_Oh_7 09-26-13 08:18 PM

Seriously, do we really need another sitcom where the characters do interviews? So over that gimmick.

Red Dog 09-26-13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 11849778)
Seriously, do we really need another sitcom where the characters do interviews? So over that gimmick.

No shit. This is only a tad better than The Crazy Ones, and that ain't saying much. Network TV needs to just get out of comedies.

Just as well...saves a tuner for TNF.

Mike86 09-26-13 09:16 PM

The second episode was better than the pilot I think. I will admit though the show was a bit disappointing. It wasn't bad but it could be a lot better and felt like it was trying too hard in ways. I'll stick with it though.

bluetoast 09-26-13 11:12 PM

I watched a little bit of the first episode and thought it was okay. Cool to see Wendell Pierce. But finding out he was on Stern from this thread, I switched to that interview instead which was pretty good.

calhoun07 09-27-13 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 11849778)

Wait. So this is like the Office or Modern Family? Deleting from DVR unwatched. I can't stand that crap anymore.

mphtrilogy 09-27-13 07:34 AM

gonna give this a few eps, but it was not good.. oh well..

dex14 09-27-13 07:42 AM

Yea I didnt really care for this.

:thumbsup: to Betsy Brandt rocking the purple in the first scene.

My Other Self 09-27-13 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 11850164)
Wait. So this is like the Office or Modern Family? Deleting from DVR unwatched. I can't stand that crap anymore.

I still think it's worth a view to check it out. The second episode was better than the pilot and I didn't find the "interviews" with the characters all that distracting.

I really haven't seen MJF in anything in a number of years and although I can appreciate what he's doing here, the fact that I needed closed captioning in some scenes to understand fully what he said was a bit heartbreaking. I enjoyed what I saw but I guess I just need to embrace that this is who he's been for awhile now and have fun with it.

calhoun07 09-27-13 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 11850302)
I still think it's worth a view to check it out. The second episode was better than the pilot and I didn't find the "interviews" with the characters all that distracting.

It's just a tired format. The Office (the original British The Office) pulled it off because it was reasonable to think that a documentary crew would follow them for the six episode arc. The Americanized version just lost the point of the documentary crew. (They really needed 9 years of footage to put together one documentary on PBS? The budget for that documentary would be through the roof for small returns.)

Modern Family does it for no apparent reason. Parks and Rec does it for no apparent reason. Now MJF Show.

It's a concept that needs to go away. It's like the Matrix style effects for TV. Everybody has to copy it but nobody seems to understand what the original purpose was for and it gets old. Quick.

Deftones 09-27-13 11:17 AM

certainly wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. some decent laughs, but not consistently. i'll give it a while before i make the judgment to ax it.