DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dads (Fox) - Series Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613779-dads-fox-series-thread.html)

Gizmo 09-24-13 09:55 AM

Dads (Fox) - Series Thread

I'm assuming no one cares about "Dads"?

RichC2 09-24-13 09:56 AM

Re: Brooklyn Nine-Nine -- "The Tagger" -- 9/24/13

I care about Dads in the fact that I want to see how low the ratings go tonight, not only is it terrible, but it's facing off against the inexplicably hyped up Agents of SHIELD.

dex14 09-24-13 10:24 AM

Dads (Fox) Season 1 Thread

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%22Dads%22.jpg

A multi-camera comedy about two successful guys in their 30s who have their lives turned upside down when their nightmare dads unexpectedly move in with them.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_yeLSEd8Ts4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It seems nobody is really watching it, but people still want to talk about how bad it is. So... here is the thread.

Gizmo 09-24-13 10:47 AM

re: Dads (Fox) - Series Thread

I started a thread!

This show is gone by November. They need to drop the laugh track.

dex14 09-24-13 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 11846148)
I started a thread!

This show is gone by November. They need to drop the laugh track.

Yea...I moved the 2 comments from the B99 thread to this. I thought they would just go below what I started. I don't know if I can edit that.

Groucho. do you know how to do that?

Groucho 09-24-13 11:08 AM

It sorts comments by time stamp, so the only way to do it is to delete the top comments.

dex14 09-24-13 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11846177)
It sorts comments by time stamp, so the only way to do it is to delete the top comments.

That's what I figured. Thanks. If this thread actually gets some action I will edit it.

Rob V 09-24-13 11:43 AM

I hate Seth Green... I hope this show doesn't see week #2.

dex14 09-24-13 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11846227)
I hate Seth Green... I hope this show doesn't see week #2.

Sorry to tell you... this will be it's second week.

badlieut 09-24-13 11:46 AM

I watched it for 10 minutes last week and it was awful.

TGM 09-24-13 11:55 AM

watched about 10 minutes of the pilot and think it might be the most forced comedy I have ever seen. I really cannot believe Giovanni Ribisi is involved with this shit.

dex14 09-24-13 12:10 PM

Like everyone else. I only watched for 10 minutes as well.

The ratings from last week:

The new sitcom starring Seth Green and Giovanni Ribisi pulled in 5.6 million viewers and a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic. It was up against a rerun of "NCIS" on CBS (10.4 million viewers and a 1.3 rating), NBC's "Million Second Quiz" (5.2 million viewers and a 1.1 rating), ABC's broadcast of "Iron Man 2" (3.8 million viewers and a 1.1 rating) and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" on The CW (2.4 million viewers and a 0.8 rating).

Fox promoted "Dads" by highlighting bad reviews.

boss429 09-24-13 01:32 PM

Horrible show!

PhantomStranger 09-24-13 01:37 PM

It almost certainly has already been canceled in secret. The buzz is so bad that I strongly doubt its entire order gets broadcast.

superdeluxe 09-24-13 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 11846066)

It was routinely put on the 'bottom' list of shows to avoid, if people here actually enjoy it might watch when they go on demand.

DJariya 09-24-13 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gizmo (Post 11846066)

So you're the only one watching this? For me, I just don't see the point of talking about a bad show like this that's gotten panned everywhere. Could you not tell by the previews this was going to be a really bad sitcom?

I mean what is the point of a thread with 20-30 comments saying this show sucks, this show sucks balls, I have no interest in watching this etc. etc. Seems like a waste of energy.

Gizmo 09-24-13 01:51 PM

I watched the pilot because I like Seth Green and one of the old guys.

It wasn't funny.

dex14 09-24-13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11846439)
So you're the only one watching this? For me, I just don't see the point of talking about a bad show like this that's gotten panned everywhere. Could you not tell by the previews this was going to be a really bad sitcom?

I mean what is the point of a thread with 20-30 comments saying this show sucks, this show sucks balls, I have no interest in watching this etc. etc. Seems like a waste of energy.

I was hoping to find the 1 person who actually made it all the way through. Also, people were discussing it in other threads. I agree it wasn't neccesarily needed. But better to have it's own thread than to have it take up space in another.

I think something like this is kind of funny when FOX is actually using the bad reviews to market it, and it got pretty much the same ratings as New Girl.

Kal-El 09-24-13 01:56 PM

Only good thing about the pilot was Brenda Song in the school girl outfit.

Paff 09-24-13 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 11846468)

Yup. Something about seeing former Disney teen starlets gettin' all tarted up just piques my interest.

wmermine 09-24-13 03:21 PM

I am stunned it took until the 19th post for this observation to be made.

This show is terrible, and I'm guessing they won't use that same gimmick each week...

Noonan 09-24-13 03:23 PM

I checked out the pilot because of the cast but this is one horrible show. I'm surprised the actors let themselves get attached to it.

JZ1276 09-24-13 03:36 PM

i watched the pilot & thought it wasnt so bad. Cant see how everyone can dismiss a show after ONE episode.

Paff 09-24-13 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by wmermine (Post 11846585)
I'm guessing they won't use that same gimmick each week...

Agreed, but I'm not taking any chances. The DVR is set.

The Valeyard 09-24-13 04:40 PM

Also turned it off after 10 minutes. Terrible show. I'd like to believe that the laugh track was overdone on purpose but I don't think they're that clever.

Bluelitespecial 09-24-13 08:56 PM

I watched the second episode tonight. It was entirely about getting stoned off pot brownies, and one jewish people are cheap joke. I may try watching it again, but you are all right it will probably be canceled.

SpanishTechno 09-24-13 09:04 PM

I caught most of the episode from tonight. It wasn't great but it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting either. The worst part by far was the exaggerated audience reaction to everything. The best part was Brenda Song.

Charlie Goose 09-24-13 11:28 PM

It's a harmless, mildly amusing show. I probably won't ever go out of my way to watch, but it's okay to sit through.

On the other hand...pot brownies? Didn't Taxi do it a lot funnier about 30 years ago?

Quatermass 09-25-13 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11847192)
It's a harmless, mildly amusing show. I probably won't ever go out of my way to watch, but it's okay to sit through.

On the other hand...pot brownies? Didn't Taxi do it a lot funnier about 30 years ago?

There was an episode of Barney Miller nearly 40 years ago that did it better than this. My money is on "Dads" to be the first canceled show of the season. I know I won't be watching any more episodes.

DRG 09-25-13 11:22 AM

I read this as Brenda Strong in a schoolgirl outfit and thought, "She probably couldn't have even pulled that off in her Seinfeld days..."

Meglos 09-26-13 01:56 PM

Re: Dads (Fox) - Series Thread

From the Onion:

Area Man Determined To Make The Best Of Situation Comedy

LOS ANGELES—Saying that he’ll “just have to put [his] head down and get through this thing,” area man Martin Mull, 70, told reporters Thursday that he’s made up his mind to make the best of the situation comedy he’s in. “Obviously no one wants to find themselves in a situation comedy like this, but that’s just how life is sometimes, so I might as well soldier on,” Mull said, adding that his predicament was simply “one of those unavoidable situation comedies that crop up from time to time.” “You don’t plan these things. You hope they don’t happen. But when you find yourself in a situation comedy like the one I’m up against, you just have to put it in perspective and focus on the finish line.” Mull said he was confident he would be able to find the silver living in his unfortunate circumstances, adding that “After all, it’s not like I haven’t been in shittier situation comedies than this.”

Rob V 09-26-13 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meglos (Post 11849240)

What an asshole. Nobody made him take a great paying job that caters to his every whim. GFY Martin!

RichC2 09-26-13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11849245)
What an asshole. Nobody made him take a great paying job that caters to his every whim. GFY Martin!

Indeed. It is also pretty odd that The Onion started reporting real news for just this one story.

Meglos 09-26-13 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11849245)

http://i.imgur.com/Q4xfE5h.gif

JZ1276 09-26-13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11847192)

That was Latka's cocaine cookies

JTH182 09-26-13 05:12 PM

My DVR decided it was best that I didn't watch episode 2, so I guess I will continue to honor its wishes.

jacob_b 09-27-13 01:59 AM

I actually love this show. I thought it would be crap, but saw this on the On Demand Channel and laughed a bunch. Maybe it's cause Brenda finally looks hot, I'm a sucker for Seth Green, and I like seeing Roseanne's old boss in a new show, but it had some charm. The only problem was Seth's co-worker, but the actress playing his wife bring some comedy charm to the duo.

TheBang 10-02-13 11:13 PM

I watched this for the first time last night. Holy crap, what a shitfest. I can't imagine how anyone working on this series actually thinks it's funny?

JZ1276 10-02-13 11:51 PM

After 3 episodes I deleted it from my season pass manager. Show sucks.

EddieMoney 10-16-13 07:58 AM

Watched this last night. It wasn't bad. Fucking laugh track drove me nuts, though.