DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dads (Fox) - Series Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613779-dads-fox-series-thread.html)

Bluelitespecial 09-24-13 08:56 PM

re: Dads (Fox) - Series Thread

I watched the second episode tonight. It was entirely about getting stoned off pot brownies, and one jewish people are cheap joke. I may try watching it again, but you are all right it will probably be canceled.

SpanishTechno 09-24-13 09:04 PM

I caught most of the episode from tonight. It wasn't great but it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting either. The worst part by far was the exaggerated audience reaction to everything. The best part was Brenda Song.

Charlie Goose 09-24-13 11:28 PM

It's a harmless, mildly amusing show. I probably won't ever go out of my way to watch, but it's okay to sit through.

On the other hand...pot brownies? Didn't Taxi do it a lot funnier about 30 years ago?

Quatermass 09-25-13 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11847192)
It's a harmless, mildly amusing show. I probably won't ever go out of my way to watch, but it's okay to sit through.

On the other hand...pot brownies? Didn't Taxi do it a lot funnier about 30 years ago?

There was an episode of Barney Miller nearly 40 years ago that did it better than this. My money is on "Dads" to be the first canceled show of the season. I know I won't be watching any more episodes.

DRG 09-25-13 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 11846468)
Only good thing about the pilot was Brenda Song in the school girl outfit.

I read this as Brenda Strong in a schoolgirl outfit and thought, "She probably couldn't have even pulled that off in her Seinfeld days..."

Meglos 09-26-13 01:56 PM

Re: Dads (Fox) - Series Thread

From the Onion:

Area Man Determined To Make The Best Of Situation Comedy

LOS ANGELES—Saying that he’ll “just have to put [his] head down and get through this thing,” area man Martin Mull, 70, told reporters Thursday that he’s made up his mind to make the best of the situation comedy he’s in. “Obviously no one wants to find themselves in a situation comedy like this, but that’s just how life is sometimes, so I might as well soldier on,” Mull said, adding that his predicament was simply “one of those unavoidable situation comedies that crop up from time to time.” “You don’t plan these things. You hope they don’t happen. But when you find yourself in a situation comedy like the one I’m up against, you just have to put it in perspective and focus on the finish line.” Mull said he was confident he would be able to find the silver living in his unfortunate circumstances, adding that “After all, it’s not like I haven’t been in shittier situation comedies than this.”

Rob V 09-26-13 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meglos (Post 11849240)

What an asshole. Nobody made him take a great paying job that caters to his every whim. GFY Martin!

RichC2 09-26-13 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11849245)
What an asshole. Nobody made him take a great paying job that caters to his every whim. GFY Martin!

Indeed. It is also pretty odd that The Onion started reporting real news for just this one story.

Meglos 09-26-13 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V (Post 11849245)

http://i.imgur.com/Q4xfE5h.gif

JZ1276 09-26-13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose (Post 11847192)

That was Latka's cocaine cookies

JTH182 09-26-13 05:12 PM

My DVR decided it was best that I didn't watch episode 2, so I guess I will continue to honor its wishes.

jacob_b 09-27-13 01:59 AM

I actually love this show. I thought it would be crap, but saw this on the On Demand Channel and laughed a bunch. Maybe it's cause Brenda finally looks hot, I'm a sucker for Seth Green, and I like seeing Roseanne's old boss in a new show, but it had some charm. The only problem was Seth's co-worker, but the actress playing his wife bring some comedy charm to the duo.

TheBang 10-02-13 11:13 PM

I watched this for the first time last night. Holy crap, what a shitfest. I can't imagine how anyone working on this series actually thinks it's funny?

JZ1276 10-02-13 11:51 PM

After 3 episodes I deleted it from my season pass manager. Show sucks.

EddieMoney 10-16-13 07:58 AM

Watched this last night. It wasn't bad. Fucking laugh track drove me nuts, though.

Charlie Goose 10-16-13 08:55 AM

Surprised there wasn't more feedback from last night's episode, since Ribisi spent most of it with with a dead mans's finger in his ass.

JeffTheAlpaca 12-03-13 05:26 PM

It is still on the air so somebody must be watching

Paff 12-03-13 06:14 PM

:wave:

Wish I wasn't, because it is definitely bad (not to mention horribly racist). But I do find myself laughing at at least 1-2 jokes per episode. The bit a couple of weeks ago where Giovanni Ribisi's wife loudly farted when she thought no one was around was hilarious....well, until they beat it into the ground with follow-up fart jokes.

Ah, who am I kidding. I'm watching it for Brenda Song. Yum. Girl looked great in a micro mini in a recent episode...

Charlie Goose 12-04-13 01:10 AM

Peter Riegert was hilarious as a department store Santa in tonight's episode.

The entire chimney bit was on a different level of stupid.

windom 12-14-13 02:01 PM

I'm catching up on a bunch of episodes on my DVR. I noticed that the in the opening credits that the title "dads" uses basically the same font as used on the "ted" poster and they're both green and in all lowercase. Weird.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5cPAGmP3oW...D-POSTER-2.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...intertitle.pnghttp://www.the-numbers.com/video/Ted/Ted-poster.jpg

Gizmo 12-14-13 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 11945169)
I'm catching up on a bunch of episodes on my DVR. I noticed that the in the opening credits that the title "dads" uses basically the same font as used on the "ted" poster and they're both green and in all lowercase. Weird.

Seth McFarlane.....

Paff 02-12-14 12:38 PM

Am I the last person in America watching this show? Probably. Each episode is worse than the previous one, but damn if Brenda Song is not unbelievably delicious. They ran two eps back to back last night. Are they trying to burn off the remainder of it early and have it off the air before May sweeps?
To show the level of this show's suckitude, now they're trying to add a dramatic subplot about Seth Green's character's unrequited love for Brenda's. It's horribly hamhanded.

DJariya 02-12-14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 12009561)
Am I the last person in America watching this show? Probably. Each episode is worse than the previous one, but damn if Brenda Song is not unbelievably delicious. They ran two eps back to back last night. Are they trying to burn off the remainder of it early and have it off the air before May sweeps?
To show the level of this show's suckitude, now they're trying to add a dramatic subplot about Seth Green's character's unrequited love for Brenda's. It's horribly hamhanded.

Season is over. Last night was the season finale.

Paff 02-12-14 12:53 PM

Was it? Makes sense, that horrible subplot they added was a lame attempt at a cliffhanger. Cancel this shit, and give Brenda Song a role she deserves.

Nabalab 02-12-14 03:51 PM

It's pretty telling when the funniest person on the show is Edna, the housekeeper.

And the episode with the stereo-typical "mobsters" last week? Was just dumb.

But I know me and if by the very slim-chance there is a season 2, I'll still watch.