Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2 Broke Girls (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 2 Broke Girls -- "And Strokes of Goodwill" -- 10/03/11

That article definitely hits the nail on the head. This show has so much untapped potential and it will probably never reach its full potential because it's on CBS. I actually think this would have made a better pairing with Raising Hope on FOX than New Girl.

Originally Posted by DJariya
at Caroline dancing around in her used shorts. I actually found that kind of hot and funny.
x2
Old 10-10-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
2 Broke Girls -- "And The Rich People Problems" -- 10/10/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Nick Zano ("Cougar Town," "What I Like About You") Returns as Johnny, A Sarcastic Street Artist Who's Met His Match With Sharp-Tongued Max

"And The Rich People Problems" - Max gets a glimpse at Caroline's former life of luxury when she agrees to help get her much-needed night guard from her old home, on 2 BROKE GIRLS, Monday, Oct. 10 (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Nick Zano ("Cougar Town," "What I Like About You") returns as Johnny, a sarcastic street artist who flirts with Max.

Read more: Listings - 2 BROKE GIRLS on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1aQ7OrTFu

Episode 4 of 22
Old 10-10-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: 2 Broke Girls -- "And The Rich People Problems" -- 10/10/11

Enjoyed tonight's episode. Kat Dennings and the girl who plays Caroline still show great chemistry together. But the karaoke subplot was pointless and unfunny. They really need to nix the supporting cast and bring in new characters that are actually funny.
Old 10-10-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, tonight's episode was pretty good. I really just love watching Dennings and Behrs play off one another; they've got great chemistry. The supporting cast is still just as awful as ever.

That said, there were a ton of laughs tonight, especially in Caroline's old room. It was nice to see Max give Caroline a bit of respect and understanding there at the end.
Old 10-10-11, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best one so far for sure.
Old 10-10-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Enjoyed tonight's episode.
Originally Posted by kstublen
Yeah, tonight's episode was pretty good.
Originally Posted by astrochimp
Best one so far for sure.
This, this, and this.

The Subway Smiles part was pretty good, especially with Caroline dropping the tissues on the ground so that she could step on them.
Old 10-11-11, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep. I liked it, too.
Old 10-11-11, 05:06 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah good episode

They need to revamp the supporting cast, the stupid asian manager and the sleazy cook

Both Kat and Beth are doable hot
Old 10-11-11, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I am gonna be the party pooper here but how is this show still on? I am no prude but the toilet humour jokes that sound like they were written by an 8th grader are just annoying. This reminds of something that would have been on Fox in the early 90's, in the same vein as Married with Children and that show where the guy talked to that stuffed animal, cutting edge in 1992, in 2011 it's just lame.
Old 10-11-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
ok I am gonna be the party pooper here but how is this show still on? I am no prude but the toilet humour jokes that sound like they were written by an 8th grader are just annoying. This reminds of something that would have been on Fox in the early 90's, in the same vein as Married with Children and that show where the guy talked to that stuffed animal, cutting edge in 1992, in 2011 it's just lame.
Wait, what?

You never watched:

Two and Half Men?
Futurama?
Family Guy?
Community?
30 Rock?
Raising Hope?
Workaholics?
Old 10-11-11, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by emachine12
Wait, what?

You never watched:

Two and Half Men?
Futurama?
Family Guy?
Community?
30 Rock?
Raising Hope?
Workaholics?
I dont see how you can include 30 Rock and Community in the same category as Two and Half Men or Family Guy?
Old 10-12-11, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I dont see how you can include 30 Rock and Community in the same category as Two and Half Men or Family Guy?
Community - Visual gag with Annie pumping the straw in and out of a cup, a monkey is named Annie's Boobs, and of course the Dean... to name a few.

30 Rock - Tracy Jordan, the live show where Jon Hamm plays a man who gets a hand transplant (East Coast version: It's got my testicles, West Coast version: Oh god, I'm so very tired), and Frank used to collect his urine in jars kept outside his office window... to name a few.

-

Back to this episode: I like that Max is okay with the horse living with her but not Caroline. The best part of this show is Max and Caroline and the show is improving in quality. Hopefully, it can keep it up.
Old 10-12-11, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=emachine12;10961836]Community - Visual gag with Annie pumping the straw in and out of a cup, a monkey is named Annie's Boobs, and of course the Dean... to name a few.

30 Rock - Tracy Jordan, the live show where Jon Hamm plays a man who gets a hand transplant (East Coast version: It's got my testicles, West Coast version: Oh god, I'm so very tired), and Frank used to collect his urine in jars kept outside his office window... to name a few.

-
/QUOTE]

all clever gags that make no mention of "spank banks", there is a huge difference.
Old 10-12-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the only episode of the show I watched, and probably ever will.

The two leads are OK, though the blonde's character is a little thin. However, any problems with her pale next to the caricatures that inhabit the diner. Every scene there felt like a bad SNL skit. Actually, it was even worse, like a slightly above average Mad TV skit.

But what really killed it for me was the laugh track. I generally don't mind a laugh track, if it's used appropriately. While there were some good jokes, the track on this show was so heavy handed that I wouldn't be surprised to find the writer himself was at the controls, or maybe his mother.
Old 10-12-11, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Judging by the way you spelled "humor" with a "u" I'm going to venture you're not from the United States, or not very well educated (oh sweet irony!). This type of humor is basically all there is on CBS these days, and in case you haven't noticed, CBS is the most watched network on television.

Oh we can sit here and debate is it right how by appealing to the least common denominator you can get a lot of eyeballs to watch a show, but I'd rather pick on the fact you're Canadian or worse, a Euro.

Go back to your home country! This is America! We love our sitcoms raunchy (Two and a Half Men), our breasts large (Kat Dennings), our beer cold (cold beer), and our guns large (large guns)!
Old 10-12-11, 05:40 PM

Yes I know how to spell things properly like we do in Canada, colour, neighbour, labour, humour etc and also we here pronounce the word doubt how it should be
Old 10-13-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes I know how to spell things properly like we do in Canada, colour, neighbour, labour, humour etc and also we here pronounce the word doubt how it should be
Oh you wacky Candadians! You make it so hard to hate you!
Old 10-13-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I just added this to my DVR series list and am thinking about deleting it. I watched the first ep. and found it uneven, and this was the same. It seems like they want to make something for young girls to watch but give the edge of Sex and the City, but due to being on network, they can't go all out with it. Therefore, I felt some of it was too raunchy, while other bits too juvenile. The bit of them dancing around the home was really cheesy, unless you just want to see Kat Dennings in a bathrobe with her knockers bouncing underneath. In all honesty, the show is at its best when it is not at the diner and relying on the stereotypical portrayal of its workers to provide humor.
Old 10-17-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
2 Broke Girls -- "And The '90's Horse Party" -- 10/17/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"And The '90's Horse Party" - Caroline and Max throw a '90's-themed party at the diner to attract rich hipsters and raise money for their cupcake business; Caroline is horrified when her rich ex-boyfriend comes into the diner, on 2 BROKE GIRLS, Monday, Oct. 17 (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Read more: Listings - 2 BROKE GIRLS on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1b5uVO1Ne

Episode 5 of 22
Old 10-17-11, 09:55 PM

Re: 2 Broke Girls -- "And The '90's Horse Party" -- 10/17/11

I like the leads even if Kat Dennings' character is a little too snarky. I'm trying to like the show, but the rapid "setup, punchline, tag" of stale jokes that are telegraphed a mile away are really difficult to take.

I think the review by Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly a couple of weeks back really did a good job of capturing the problems with the series. It's ironic that a character on a show that has some potential is a fan of one of the worst syndicated sitcoms of the eighties (Small Wonder).
Old 10-17-11, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last week was the 1st one i really enjoyed but this one brought it back to where i was before with it.
Old 10-18-11, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I liked it but there was far too much Han. We need less Han. Just stick to Max and Caroline having random adventures in the city while trying to get funding for their cupcake business.

Also, what was the point of setting up Caroline's ex taking a shine to Max and then not do anything with that scenario? To make room for more unfunny Han scenes?
Old 10-18-11, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

When they mentioned Tiffany Brissette I figured that she would make a cameo appearance given that she was on a lesser known '80s show but apparently not.

"It woulda been nice to put my wad in his face for a change."

I saw Caroline's wad line coming (no pun intended) a mile away (again, no pun intended). There is almost a moment of hesitation on the part of the actresses when they say some of the raunchier lines -- like they wonder if they will get away with it.
Old 10-18-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone

"It woulda been nice to put my wad in his face for a change."

I saw Caroline's wad line coming (no pun intended) a mile away (again, no pun intended). There is almost a moment of hesitation on the part of the actresses when they say some of the raunchier lines -- like they wonder if they will get away with it.
The Han job line was pretty good.
Old 10-18-11, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Episode was pretty good but the show is definitely too sitcom-y. Take the laugh track down a notch; not everything that comes out of a character's mouth is hysterical. And there's something odd about the pacing and delivery, even by traditional sitcom standards.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.