TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2 Broke Girls (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 2 Broke Girls -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/19/11

Originally Posted by dgmayor
There have been many instances in the past where I just stopped reading the weekly threads for shows I enjoy because the bitching and moaning on the threads would ruin my enjoyment of the show lol.
It's the reverse for me. I can't stand fanbois. No show is perfect and if all it is is post after post of fans in a worship circle jerk, then I stop reading. (See Joss Whedon/Buffy/Angel/Arrested Development threads). There are some posters (you know who you are) that hardly ever post negative comments about a show and I don't understand that at all. I call them the way I see them and I don't wear rose colored glasses.

Last edited by Ayre; 09-21-11 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-21-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ayre
It's the reverse for me. I can't stand fanbois. No show is perfect and if all it is is post after post of fans in a worship circle jerk, then I stop reading. (See Joss Whedon/Buffy/Angel/Arrested Development threads). There are some posters (you know who you are) that hardly ever post negative comments about a show and I don't understand that at all. I call them the way I see them and I don't wear rose colored glasses.
Depends on the show for me. This would be a good example. It's nothing special, but it's 22 minutes of entertainment that makes me laugh, and that's all it needs to be. I don't need to read about how terrible this aspect and that aspect is, because then I start to second guess myself or say "yeah, wait a minute, that wasn't as funny as I thought". That just defeats the purpose of entertainment to me.

There are some shows though that I do like the in depth discussions and nitpics or being pointed to something I missed or pointing out something to someone else etc.

You mention the "fanbois" that do nothing but post positive stuff, but there are also the opposite who post nothing but negative. I do enjoy a good discussion, but the all one way or the other gets old.
Old 09-21-11, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by northmoor
Saw this tonight ... Thought it was pretty good, and I was glad I checked it out. Will be tuning in next week to see how it shapes up. I liked the premise.

(there seems to be a lot of negative people or naysayers on this board, and quite a few seem to comment without even having seen the particular show. It's not just the comments on this show, but on others, too.)
Point taken, so I watched it.
Not the worst thing I've ever seen but definitely at the bottom compared to the other shows I watch.
There's no room for mediocre in my schedule so I won't be watching again.
Old 09-21-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I thought this was much better than the commercials for it. If its regular time is going to be after How I Met Your Mother, then I'll probably go ahead and record it. I already record that show, might as well get that second half hour, too. I do agree that the supporting cast needs a bit of fleshing out, but that's common in pilots. I also liked the money counter at the end. I thought that was a very nice touch.
Old 09-22-11, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Just watched this last night. I thought it wasnt bad. It definitely was a little rough around the edges, but I like Kat Dennings sass. When she dressed down those hipsters, there were glimpses of how good this show could be. Best line of the night for me was when a customer asked where their waitress was, and Max replied "She's coming".
Old 09-22-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Point taken, so I watched it.
Not the worst thing I've ever seen but definitely at the bottom compared to the other shows I watch.
There's no room for mediocre in my schedule so I won't be watching again.
Seriously, not to be a smartass, but what shows do you regularly watch?
Old 09-22-11, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
Seriously, not to be a smartass, but what shows do you regularly watch?
You want me to list all the shows I watch? Is it that unbelievable that I didn't like this?
Old 09-22-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was painful to watch. Horrible script. It was like some bad series from the 70's.
Even Alice was funnier.
Old 09-22-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we'd just like to know what shows you enjoy so we can better gauge what mediocre is in your view.
Old 09-23-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
I think we'd just like to know what shows you enjoy so we can better gauge what mediocre is in your view.
Ok then. Let's stick to comedies then since this is a comedy.

I watch and love:
- Community
- Parks & Recreation
- Raising Hope
- Modern Family
- The League
- It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

I used to love but still enjoy:
- The Office
- 30 Rock

See a pattern?
Old 09-24-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I don't post many negative comments about the shows I watch because I don't watch shows that I don't like. It's that simple. There are plenty of people on these boards that regular watch shows they either don't like or downright loathe and make it clear in the threads. I just don't watch shows like that, which is why you'll never see me in an American Idol or Survivor thread. No interest in watching something I don't enjoy most everything about.

I thought this was a good premiere. I do agree that Garrett Morris needs more to do and we need more than "diner stuff" but it was the first episode, I laughed out loud more than once, the money counter is interesting, and I'll definitely keep it around.

And for the record, my favorite sitcom on TV right now is Community with Parks and Rec as a close second. I also love The Big Bang Theory and absolutely hate Two and a Half Men and Mike and Molly. Point being, maybe it's not so easy to generalize audiences.
Old 09-25-11, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Same reason here watched it for Kat's twins. also like the co-star and the cook had me laughing.
Old 09-25-11, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't post many negative comments about the shows I watch because I don't watch shows that I don't like. It's that simple.
Every show you watch is perfect. May I borrow your glasses?

I never comment on shows I don't watch or shows I hate, but I do enjoy discussing how a show fails it's potential. It teaches me something.
Old 09-25-11, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Every show you watch is perfect. May I borrow your glasses?

I never comment on shows I don't watch or shows I hate, but I do enjoy discussing how a show fails it's potential. It teaches me something.
I never said perfect. Some are better than others. I mean, there has to be a "worst episode". But since I like the characters, premise, etc. of every show I watch, it's hard for me to be super critical of them. If I downright hated an episode or two, I'd stop watching.

There are always redeeming qualities and in general I try to be more positive than negative about things I enjoy.
Old 09-26-11, 02:06 AM

I liked the show a little bit, but mainly because of Dennings milkers. The Coldplay and Arcade Fire references were annoying as people in Brooklyn do not listen to those shitty bands (maybe Arcade Fire, but certainly not Coldplay).
Old 09-26-11, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2 Broke Girls -- "And the Break-up Scene" -- 9/26/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-09-19

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Caroline thinks she's doing Max a favor when she takes it upon herself to facilitate her break-up with Robbie, on the time-period premiere of 2 BROKE GIRLS, Monday, Sept. 26 (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Read more: Listings - 2 BROKE GIRLS on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz1Z3UXmdFc

Promo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BHpFFd1DIqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-26-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: 2 Broke Girls -- "And the Break-up Scene" -- 9/26/11

Liked the pilot. Will check out this episode.
Old 09-26-11, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Liked the pilot but found this episode more annoying and the laugh track distracting
Old 09-26-11, 08:21 PM

I missed the pilot but decided to check it out this week. Didn't really like it... the blonde's voice is annoying, the laugh track was obnoxious and the jokes just weren't that funny.
Old 09-26-11, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the laugh track was a bit much, but I enjoyed the episode. Dennings and Behrs work good together. The line Max said to Caroline about her being a night light because she was so blonde had me

All I know is that I would love to try her delicious cupcakes.. Take that however you want.
Old 09-26-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caustic remark. Pause for laugh. Caustic remark. Pause for laugh. Sex joke.

This episode just didn't click for me ... seemed to jump all around.
Old 09-26-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

This is on the level of Big Bang Theory with me. It's a fun 30 minutes while there's nothing on tv, but by no means good.
Old 09-26-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Caustic remark. Pause for laugh. Caustic remark. Pause for laugh. Sex joke.
Noticed this too. It was so paced and robotic, yet very unfunny. Not only are the dialog/jokes unfunny, but the actresses are terrible in their delivery.

I only watched this to check out Kat Dennings.
Old 09-26-11, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've watched it 2 weeks in a row, but I agree with Goat. More because of nothing else on than its enjoyability.

It's not bad, but nothing noteworthy yet. They've got until Chuck to reel me in.
Old 09-26-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Liked the pilot but found this episode more annoying and the laugh track distracting
Agreed. This was a step down from the pilot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.