Reload this Page >

2 Broke Girls (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

2 Broke Girls (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Kat Dennings & Beth Behrs

Old 02-14-12, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 2 Broke Girls -- "And The Broken Hearts" -- 2/13/12

I like the relationship betweem Max and Caroline, but some of the jokes are so over the top, they're excruciating. Like tonight when the idiot cook is hitting on Stifler's mom and wants to hire her to clean his apartment. She says something like, "Oh, you can't make me COME." (audience hoots & whoops). He says, "I can definitely make you COME." (hoots & whoops) "It's been a long time since someone made me COME." (hoots & whoops). This show has mastered the subtle art of innuendo!
Old 02-14-12, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're watching this show for subtlety, you're doing it wrong.

Loved this episode. It was funny and rather sweet in parts. Coolidge has been a great addition to the cast.
Old 02-14-12, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
I like the relationship betweem Max and Caroline, but some of the jokes are so over the top, they're excruciating. Like tonight when the idiot cook is hitting on Stifler's mom and wants to hire her to clean his apartment. She says something like, "Oh, you can't make me COME." (audience hoots & whoops). He says, "I can definitely make you COME." (hoots & whoops) "It's been a long time since someone made me COME." (hoots & whoops). This show has mastered the subtle art of innuendo!
Doing the cum joke once was fine enough but what sold it for me (in a great way) was them driving it into the ground over and over. Just broke me down after awhile.

I'm pretty surprised they're taking a stab and bring back Polish jokes...at least in Canada that's been socially forbidden for awhile.

"This hospital is not like the ones in Poland. The lights work".

Last edited by wz42; 02-14-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at Max giving the hospital guy all kinds of hell, and then the guy saying she was the nicest person he'd dealt with all night.
Old 02-14-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show has mastered the subtle art of innuendo!
I don't think you understand the definition of "subtle" my friend. They hit us like a frying pan to the head three or four times. I really like the show, but subtle the dirty jokes are not.
Old 02-14-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
I don't think you understand the definition of "subtle" my friend. They hit us like a frying pan to the head three or four times. I really like the show, but subtle the dirty jokes are not.
If this is any indication, subtle humour may not be your strong suit.
Old 02-14-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I agree that Coolridge has been a great addition to the cast, although I hope she isn't has centric in every episode as she has been the in the last two.

Has anyone else noticed the difference in direction/lighting in the last couple of episodes? Everything is a little brighter/sharper which kinda makes it look even faker (I know this is a staged sitcom, but still).
Old 02-14-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As the Frenchman who was holding a rooster was apt to say, "Look at my cock, it is the biggest cock on the farm".
Old 02-14-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was dying laughing at the come jokes. Not because they were funny or creative, but because they were so over the top and I have no idea how CBS let them get away with that for an 8:30 show. It almost makes me wonder if they originally had about 15 in a row and CBS make them cut it to only 8 or so.
Old 02-14-12, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trelach24 View Post
It almost makes me wonder if they originally had about 15 in a row and CBS make them cut it to only 8 or so.
I'm betting they have double the people from standards and practices working on this show...or the one guy is *very* over worked.

If these are the jokes that are allowed what the fuck are they censoring from the Tiffany Network?
Old 02-14-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wz42 View Post
I'm betting they have double the people from standards and practices working on this show...or the one guy is *very* over worked.

If these are the jokes that are allowed what the fuck are they censoring from the Tiffany Network?
I think the success of Two And A Half Men has shown CBS that raunch can bring in ratings, even among the typical CBS viewer. So as long as they don't actually say a bad word, they can get away with it.

The funny part is that Whitney on NBC had an episode dealing with masturbation where NBC balked at them using the actual word.
Old 02-15-12, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheKing View Post
I think the success of Two And A Half Men has shown CBS that raunch can bring in ratings, even among the typical CBS viewer. So as long as they don't actually say a bad word, they can get away with it.
I like that thesis and look forward to more shows from CBS based upon that.

The funny part is that Whitney on NBC had an episode dealing with masturbation where NBC balked at them using the actual word.
That's so 1990's - I recall the cast/crew saying that was the policy for the Seinfeld episode about masturbation.

Well...NBC's loss as they continue to wallow in the basement and CBS rakes it in.

I wonder if Whitney Cummings is regretting not selling her show and 2BG as a package and, ideally, getting both of them on CBS now.
Old 02-15-12, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I remember the first episode of NYPD Blue and the backlash that happened when Sipowicz referred to a woman as a bitch. You thought the world was going to end in righteous hellfire.
Years later, Max on 2BG made a joke about taking a guy's load in her face during the Christmas episode.

Yet this can still be a puritanical country at times.
Old 02-15-12, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another enjoyable episode, but I agree with the come line being too overused. Once or twice was fine.
Old 02-15-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love this show. Yeah it's crass and over-the-top, but somehow it works. I'm sure that's in large part due to Dennings and Behrs. And while it's been a slow process, I think the supporting cast at the diner is slowly growing on me as well. Coolidge has been a great addition to the cast too.

The show is full of laughs, but I love that it has some heart at the center of it. The bonding moments between Max and Caroline are really well done.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
at Max giving the hospital guy all kinds of hell, and then the guy saying she was the nicest person he'd dealt with all night.

That cracked me up. So well-played.
Old 02-15-12, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by movieking View Post
Another enjoyable episode, but I agree with the come line being too overused. Once or twice was fine.
For me it was just the opposite. When they said cum at first I rolled my eyes since it was such a basic joke but when they did it over and over...that's when it broke me down.

It reminded me of when Johnny Carson had a joke that bombed he'd linger over the joke and the failure of it longer than the actual joke was to begin with.

As an aside I'm surprised by so many here saying they enjoy the "heart" factor of the show. Usually raunchy comedy and heart don't go together...kinda surprised it's working for some many tho with this show.
Old 02-20-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,298 Posts
2 Broke Girls -- "And The Kosher Cupcakes" -- 2/20/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-16

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jennifer Coolidge Returns As Sophie, The Girls' Upstairs Neighbor

"And The Kosher Cupcakes" - Max tries to pass off her cupcakes as kosher when she and Caroline serve them at a boy's Bar Mitzvah, on 2 BROKE GIRLS, Monday, Feb. 20 (8:30-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Episode 17 of 24

From last week's episode. This made me laugh at how ridiculous it was.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6pAfUdRVwC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-20-12, 11:40 PM

Re: 2 Broke Girls -- "And The Kosher Cupcakes" -- 2/20/12

Boy, those kids were annoying.
Old 02-21-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,321 Likes on 953 Posts

"Han unloaded in my mouth."

I can't believe some of the shit they get away with. The CBS censors must be Amish or something.
Old 02-21-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess Stifler's mom is sticking around, she was pretty funny tonight.
Old 02-21-12, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TerryW View Post
Boy, those kids were annoying.
yeah but that was the whole point.. I laughed way more then I should of at some of their lines or actions...

I feel dirty..
Old 02-21-12, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The kids were annoying but i loved all the crap they got away with saying.

I liked the pharmacist character (and how much Caroline was failing to impress her). I hope she returns eventually.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-21-12 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-21-12, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had real trouble watching this one ... more annoying than funny for me tonight.
Old 02-21-12, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
I liked the farmacist character (and who much Caroline was failing to impress her). I hope she returns eventually.

<html>
 And he goes to Fairleigh Dickinson
 and he's majoring in pharmacy.
Oh, right, right, sure... I can just see you living on a farm. 
</html>
Old 02-21-12, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was half asleep when I wrote that. Sue me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.