Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mom (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Starring Anna Faris & Allison Janney

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Mom (CBS) -- Series Thread -- Starring Anna Faris & Allison Janney

2 episodes into the season without Farris and it still feels off to me - it's not quite Chico and the Man without Chico, but...the episodes play now like a half hour of the "b" storyline. I've been a fan since the beginning and still enjoyed the show when it expanded from the Mother/Daughter dynamic to the other characters. I love the cast and the characters and I hope the show will regain its footing.
Old 11-15-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan
I guess I'm easily entertained (I am) and sort of an outlier to the rest of the group here but I thought it was fine. I had difficulty that the Character got a full ride to that law school but once established they never really have to mention it again. I agree with the comment above about some cringe worthy acting but, for now, will blame that on Directing and early episode after a long break between seasons.
I thought she already had a law degree. Or at least was a couple years into one. Transfers aren't very common in law school, from what I remember working at one. Dropouts? Hell yeah. But not transfers.
Old 11-15-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Christy will do anything to get as far away from her parenting duties as possible.She probably didn't even tell Roscoe she was leaving. I can't remember if her daughter event talks to her anymore.
Old 11-15-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I figured with the Christy character gone, they were going to have to give more story lines to the non-Mom characters. In the past, Christy or Bonnie was involved in almost all story lines with other characters... but now with just Bonnie there, she can't be in multiple story-lines that are happening at the same time.

The show definitely feels off. It started off as Christy, her 2 kids and Bonnie... and now just Bonnie is left - which is weird.
I didn't watch it, but I remember hearing about how 90210 was based around a family moving to BH - and by the last season or two, no one from the family was on the show anymore. Talk about a pivot.

Originally Posted by windom
Christy will do anything to get as far away from her parenting duties as possible.She probably didn't even tell Roscoe she was leaving. I can't remember if her daughter event talks to her anymore.
My viewing of this show is mostly in the background and from repeats being aired not in chronological order - so I'm not sure when things happened... but is the son even living in the same city? Did he and his father move away?
Old 11-16-20, 02:33 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess this confirms I'm easily entertained as I don't miss the Christy character. I do wish the Allison Janney character, Bonnie would tone it down a bit but I guess that adds to the show for some folks. I also hope/think the other characters will have more storylines.
Old 11-16-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Just watched EP2. Yeah, the series just isn't working without Faris. And seriously, what the hell is up with Janny's hair and forehead this season?
Old 11-16-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I also think the show is missing Farris. Just doesn’t work as well without her.
Old 11-16-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So is French Stewart out of a job now that Christy doesn't work at the restaurant? Not that they had much in the restaurant for a few seasons now.
Old 11-18-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Her daughter more or less made peace with her, but told her to piss off. I don't think they ever explained what happened to her kid and Badger.

The show hasn't killed a character in quite a while, I wonder who's next to go?
Old 11-18-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know Roscoe went to live with the father pretty much permanently since he married the rich girl and cleaned up his act. I'm not sure how often Christy even saw him since they basically stopped mentioning him. I guess we only see a small percentage of their lives though so she could have had plenty of time with him.
Old 11-18-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I started watching repeats from the 2018 season and I didn't even know Christy had kids until they started running repeats from the 1st season Now I have all the seasons on Hulu and it's fascinating to see the show changes as I binge it. I like it more without the kids and with the other ladies from AA
Old 11-18-20, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I think they need to write Wendy off. She's considered one of the group and is in the intro and everything - but it's amazing how little time they spend on her.
She's basically there as a punching bag for everyone else, but she very rarely has any story lines.
Old 11-19-20, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I think they need to write Wendy off. She's considered one of the group and is in the intro and everything - but it's amazing how little time they spend on her.
She's basically there as a punching bag for everyone else, but she very rarely has any story lines.
It's been that way the whole time she's been on the show. Why write her off now? She's harmless and some of her lines are quite funny. The one character that I find most annoying these days is Adam. He was o.k. for about a season, but only in small doses. I'd actually like to see him go.
Old 12-06-20, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Im still binging the last season on hulu but decided to binge the latest eps of the new season on cbs all access. Im going to go against the group and say the show is as good, if not better without christy. But as i said, i love the other women on the show and Bonnie a lot. I love the funny stuff and the dramatic stuff as well. Of course being in the minority in this means the show will likely not last much longer due to everyone not liking it without christy....

Old 12-06-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Im still binging the last season on hulu but decided to binge the latest eps of the new season on cbs all access. Im going to go against the group and say the show is as good, if not better without christy. But as i said, i love the other women on the show and Bonnie a lot. I love the funny stuff and the dramatic stuff as well. Of course being in the minority in this means the show will likely not last much longer due to everyone not liking it without christy....
Don't get me wrong, I love the rest of the female cast. I just don't think the show is the same without Faris. And I'll mention this again, I'd be more than happy to see Adam go. I'm so tired and bored of his character.
Old 12-06-20, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

So is French Stewart out of a job now that Christy doesn't work at the restaurant? Not that they had much in the restaurant for a few seasons now.
Completely by accident I saw this week's episode. They had Stewart running a food truck and Kristen Johnson helping him out. A Third Rock reunion!!!
Old 12-06-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Completely by accident I saw this week's episode. They had Stewart running a food truck and Kristen Johnson helping him out. A Third Rock reunion!!!
Yeah, I think they started them having some kind of relationship last season. Thinking of their Third Rock characters, It's kind of like watching a brother and sister get it on.
Old 12-06-20, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes Rudy and Tammy hooked up last season.

I looove Kristen Johnston but oddly i never watched 3rd Rock. I also love the Rudy character. he is hilarious as played by the actor. Finding out that they have worked together before is cool.
Old 12-06-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I also appreciate how this show handles the AA and addiction stuff. A far cry from 2 and half men's seeming worship and romanticizing of addiction.
Old 12-06-20, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that Christy is gone, maybe they can have Roscoe spend some time with Bonnie since she is his grandmother after all.
Old 12-06-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Naw, fuck them kids. 🤣😂

Off topic..Violet looks a lot like a young 7 of 9
Old 12-07-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

They should bring on that washed up 80s rock star to replace Christy. He was funny.
Old 12-08-20, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516
They should bring on that washed up 80s rock star to replace Christy. He was funny.
YES!!! Great idea!! Not to sound like a broken record, but Bonnie could then divorce Adam. Getting rid of him altogether. And she could date this has been 80's rock star. He's far more interesting than Adam every was.
Old 12-08-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Christy's dad Alvin was more interesting than Adam.
Old 02-18-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cancelled.

https://www.newsweek.com/mom-cancele...-faris-1570143

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...cellation.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.