TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hostages -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/23/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Hostages -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/23/13

Synopsis:

"Pilot" - After Dr. Ellen Sanders, a prominent Washington D.C. surgeon, is handpicked to operate on the President of the United States, rogue FBI agent Duncan Carlisle and armed intruders suddenly take her and her family hostage. Scared and bewildered, Ellen soon learns the reason: unless she assassinates the President during surgery, her captors will kill them all, on the series premiere of HOSTAGES, Monday, Sept. 23 (10:01-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

HOSTAGES, from executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer, stars Emmy Award winner Toni Collette and Golden Globe Award winner Dylan McDermott in a high-octane suspense drama about Dr. Ellen Sanders, a premiere surgeon thrust into a chilling political conspiracy when her family is taken hostage by rogue FBI Agent Duncan Carlisle. Ellen and her family are held captive in their home by Carlisle, a desperate man doing the wrong thing for the right reasons, who orders her to assassinate the President when she operates on him. His highly skilled accomplices include his brother-in-law Kramer, whose loyalty to Carlisle will be tested; quick-tempered and intimidating Archer, an ex-military man with a razor-sharp tongue; and the only woman involved, Sandrine, a mysterious last-minute replacement to the team. With her family's life in peril, Ellen faces an incomprehensible moral dilemma in order to save her overbearing husband Brian, her secretive daughter Morgan and her not-so-innocent son Jake. In this high-stakes standoff between Ellen and Carlisle, fraught with tremendous national and personal consequences, the choices between right and wrong become even more blurred.

SERIES REGULARS:

Toni Collette (Dr. Ellen Sanders)
Dylan McDermott (Duncan Carlisle)
Tate Donovan (Brian Sanders)
Sandrine Holt (Sandrine)
Rhys Coiro (Kramer)
Billy Brown (Archer)
Quinn Shephard (Morgan Sanders)
Mateus Ward (Jake Sanders)
James Naughton (President Kincaid)

15 episode serial drama. This is not a procedural. They is scheduled to run until mid-February. CBS is now getting into the business of producing short, cable season shows.

Trailer:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/k844RR3EWq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-23-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Hostages -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/23/13

Hmm, I read this a couple of months ago. It sounds like they are going the Under the Dome route

July 29, 2013 12:04 PM PDT
Hostages EP Jerry Bruckheimer Insists New CBS Thriller Is Definitely 'Not a Miniseries'
by Megan Masters

CBS Hostages Not a Mini-Series
On the heels of onetime-limited series Under the Dome‘s renewal, the cast and producers of CBS’ new fall drama Hostages took the stage Monday at the Television Critics Assoc. summer press tour in Beverly Hills to clarify their 15-episode order.

“This is not a miniseries for us,” executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed. “We’re doing 15 [episodes] and we’re hoping to get not only two seasons, but hopefully a lot more.”

Addressing the mini/event/limited series perception surrounding the show , EP Jonathan Littman explained: “When you’re doing something this intense and this much of a thriller, it’s hard to bang out 22 [episodes], with repeats and weeks that are off, and keep your suspense… The story of this show doesn’t work that way. It really has to be run in a row.”

No stranger to short-order TV gigs, American Horror Story vet Dylan McDermott noted that Hostages‘ 15-episode Season 1 order was part of what drew him to the show. “Doing a series is really a marathon,” he shared. “You get fatigued and stretch out these stories and they become repetitive.. In this show, it’s streamlined and you’re getting the best of the best… There’s no bulls–t.” Added star Toni Collette: “It’s more appealing to me absolutely. It just allows so much freedom.”
Old 09-23-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Really? The fact that it was suppose to be a mini series was one of the reasons I wanted to watch it.
Old 09-23-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I never heard that this was a miniseries. They got a set episode order of 15 to keep it cable-like with less filler.

CBS also wants to air 2 dramas in this timeslot. Intelligence with Josh Holloway from Lost airs in February after this ends and their episode order is set at 13.
Old 09-23-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah I don't see how this works as a series unless they go the AHS route.
Old 09-23-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

How will this work if it's extended for another season? Do they keep her family hostage next season? After she's done with the President (assuming the operation happens at the end of the 15th show) is there another head of state she has to operate on? Will it turn into a format like 24?
Old 09-23-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

No one (either the network or the producers) ever wants a limited mini-series. There is too much money at stake to make mini-series anymore.
Old 09-23-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Really? The fact that it was suppose to be a mini series was one of the reasons I wanted to watch it.
Originally Posted by DJariya
I never heard that this was a miniseries. They got a set episode order of 15 to keep it cable-like with less filler.
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No one (either the network or the producers) ever wants a limited mini-series. There is too much money at stake to make mini-series anymore.
I think people are confusing "mini-series" with a "short-season" series. Two different things.
Old 09-23-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give this one a shot since it's a serial. Not sure I find the premise that interesting or sustainable though.
Old 09-23-13, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I'm fine with a short season series. But to stretch this sort of premise out will hurt it.
Old 09-23-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I think people are confusing "mini-series" with a "short-season" series. Two different things.
They are using the term "Limited Series" which is the problem, they used the same term for Under the Dome which instantly made me think "mini-series" even though there was absolutely no intention on finishing the series in a season. Apparently the term just means "serialized, short run season" to CBS, when in all honestly it should be the description given to shows like American Horror Story, where they continue but each season is a self-contained story arc.

American Horror Story and from the looks of it, Once Upon a Time (in Wonderland), appear to be doing this correctly (The Once Upon a Time... spin-off is supposed to be a 1 season, 13 episode show, and a new fairy tale will be tackled next season)

Last edited by RichC2; 09-23-13 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
How will this work if it's extended for another season? Do they keep her family hostage next season? After she's done with the President (assuming the operation happens at the end of the 15th show) is there another head of state she has to operate on? Will it turn into a format like 24?
This reminds me of Prison Break, where they took a far out, albeit interesting concept, then extended it just to extend it.
Old 09-23-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read that if the series was renewed, it would be a different story.
Old 09-23-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really want to be excited for this show, but the fact that it's on CBS really just turns me off. I hardly like anything of theirs. They always tend to go the typical episodic procedural route.
Old 09-23-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by flashburn
I really want to be excited for this show, but the fact that it's on CBS really just turns me off. I hardly like anything of theirs. They always tend to go the typical episodic procedural route.
Check out person of interest. Started out that way but has really transformed into a serial show, with large plot arcs throughout the season.
Old 09-23-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

As I said in post 1, this is a serial, not procedural.

Intelligence, on the other hand, which airs in February and takes over this timeslot is a procedural.
Old 09-23-13, 08:24 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Was the show any good ?
Old 09-23-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This one doesn't air for another 15 minutes, EST.
Old 09-23-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ doesn't air until 10pm
Old 09-23-13, 09:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Sepinwall wrote up a mini-review of it:

"Hostages" (10 p.m., CBS): Boy, did I hate this. It's CBS' attempt to do "24," with a 15-episode season where FBI agent Dylan McDermott takes surgeon Toni Collette and her family prisoner so she'll murder the President during an operation. The characters wander a spectrum from boring to irritating (guess which end the two teenage kids wind up on?), and the situation already feels unsustainable by the end of the first episode. I do not care what happens to any of these people, so why do I want to watch them stuck in this claustrophobic tension dealing with contrived situations that will prolong it over a season? I would say it misunderstands exactly what it is that people like in serialized cable dramas, but then I think of the ratings for "Under the Dome" and "The Following," and wonder if CBS might not have a hit on its hands despite the terrible writing. Grade: D
Old 09-23-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
Check out person of interest. Started out that way but has really transformed into a serial show, with large plot arcs throughout the season.
Couldn't make it through more than a handful of episodes of POI.
Old 09-23-13, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm intrigued.
Hard to know what the purpose is for wanting to kill the President, but I thought it was a good first episode that showed the beginnings of what appears to be a game of chess.
Old 09-23-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Couldn't make it through more than a handful of episodes of POI.
You are doing yourself a disservice, then. The 1st half of the 1st season took a little while to get going, but once it did, it was completely awesome. It's still one of the best broadcast shows on TV.
Old 09-23-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Someone's going to get attacked by a cougar before this season is over, aren't they?
Old 09-23-13, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked this one. It started off kinda slow but it gradually got into the scheme of things throughout the hour. I also like how they're merging family drama with the main theme of the show. Like it's already been said though, I'm interested in learning how this is sustained over multiple seasons. I would assume a lot of things would have to be reworked and even added. I liked it though, and the next episode looks good as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.