Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the series Finale?
Yes, despite an awful/bad season, I was satisfied.
10.92%
Yes and I'm in the minority and thought season 8 was good
5.88%
No, I'm in the minority and enjoyed season 8, but the ending sucked.
10.92%
No, the season was terrible, the ending was terrible. So disappointed.
49.58%
Honestly, I just don't care anymore.
22.69%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

I agree that they had an out with the BHB storyline with LaGuerta, but they threw that out episodes ago. I'm just stating, for those who thought this storyline would bust open in the last episode after seeing the entire season was fooling themselves. It was clearly evident that they had no intention of that from the start.
Old 09-24-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I agree that they had an out with the BHB storyline with LaGuerta, but they threw that out episodes ago. I'm just stating, for those who thought this storyline would bust open in the last episode after seeing the entire season was fooling themselves. It was clearly evident that they had no intention of that from the start.
I understand your point, but I don't excuse the writers one damn bit for the way they handled that story after last season. That was bullshit on a monumental level and just stupid no matter how they try to justify it. It's almost like last season they put that idea out there that Dexter would wind up being caught by the end of the series or show his downfall but decided to wuss out and drop the story probably because they wanted to make it seem like Dexter is still the hero of the show or something instead of showing his downfall. The way the show ended last season and how they didn't resolve it this season was just dumb. So Deb goes through some emotional bullshit and her and Dexter were on the outs for a while. That's the extent of what our resolution was and that's really nothing at all in the grand scheme of things. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the ending was done in some way to keep the idea open of the show coming back someday for another series/season or a special or something.
Old 09-24-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I understand your point, but I don't excuse the writers one damn bit for the way they handled that story after last season. That was bullshit on a monumental level and just stupid no matter how they try to justify it. It's almost like last season they put that idea out there that Dexter would wind up being caught by the end of the series or show his downfall but decided to wuss out and drop the story probably because they wanted to make it seem like Dexter is still the hero of the show or something instead of showing his downfall. The way the show ended last season and how they didn't resolve it this season was just dumb. So Deb goes through some emotional bullshit and her and Dexter were on the outs for a while. That's the extent of what our resolution was and that's really nothing at all in the grand scheme of things. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the ending was done in some way to keep the idea open of the show coming back someday for another series/season or a special or something.
I agree with that. It's why, with how they started, the season held so much promise. And I read before that Hannah was coming back, so I was expecting her to get Dexter caught. Jennifer Carpenter was hitting the notes on all the levels at the beginning and things picked up. But once they crashed that car, it was just suddenly she cared again? From there it went downhill quickly. It's why I loved the original showrunner's idea and feel he would have brought justice on the seasons he left and really closed Dexter for good. No idea why he left or whatever, but with the ending standing on it's own, it isn't horrible. But I do agree, they kept the doors open for spinoffs. I just think, for the people shocked or pissed that the BHB storyline never finished, they must have watched something different the past 5 or so episodes. It was clearly evident his life would not crumble like that. Do I agree with that? No. But at least it's a better ending than him living a happy life with Hannah. I still don't even like that character and felt she was a huge mistake in that show.
Old 09-24-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
.... oh and Quinn and no one at Miami Metro are going to come back and ask "where did she go?"
When her corpse washes ashore in a week they will simply assume the hurricane blew her out a hospital window and into the sea. This is Miami Metro Homicide we're talking about after all.
Old 09-24-13, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
When her corpse washes ashore in a week they will simply assume the hurricane blew her out a hospital window and into the sea. This is Miami Metro Homicide we're talking about after all.
Just think how poorly Miami Metro will be at solving crimes with Deb dead. It seemed like she was the only one with any brains there... and probably Mike Anderson who they killed off as well.

I think Miller (black female promoted cop) and Masuka's daughter should a spin-off show. They can randomly pop in and out of scenes and the show will be called "The Fillers".
Old 09-24-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn
and even Dexter surviving a hurricane in the middle of the ocean in spite of his boat being utterly destroyed (the boat that he sold??).
He never sold the boat from what I recall... he showed the boat to one guy, who bitched about there not being a big enough beer cooler, which led me to believe he didn't buy the boat from Dexter
Old 09-24-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I think the writers started with a bad premise.

They thought they couldn't go with the boring and predictable final season of Dexter getting caught, when they should have thought how do we have Deb and Miami Metro catch Dexter without it being boring and predictable.
Old 09-25-13, 11:24 AM

I won't speak for the entire internet, but I know a good amount of people who watch the show and no one expected this to happen. That hope for an interesting conclusion went out the window midway through the season, likely when Deb decided to kill Dexter and then snapped right out of it. Maybe even earlier, but my memory is struggling to think through the chronology of all the shit we got this season.
Old 09-25-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Just caught up with the episode last night. Voted "honestly don't care anymore" ... I can't say I was disappointed because I fully expected it to suck and it met my expectations.

A lot of you have done a good job pointing out all the inconsistencies and weaknesses throughout this season. And the end result is that I lost the emotional connection to the characters. Because of poor writing, that's all I saw them as this season ... fictional characters written poorly. I think back to how emotionally involved I was in earlier seasons. And even though traumatic events unfolded this season I felt nothing. Deb's death ... Dexter's goodbye to Harrison ... nothing for me. In my mind, this last season feels like poor fan-fiction and the "real" characters going a completely different route somewhere.

I think the show wasted the opportunity to have a truly powerful finale starting with how they handled Deb's reaction to finding out. Having things ultimately end with Deb taking down Dexter, either by killing him or sending him to death row in prison ... even though more "casual" fans might be upset, to me that felt like the right way to send the storyline.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
How I would have ended this episode:

More or less the same, except as Deb vegetating in the hospital, Dexter comes clean to Quinn about his double life. He then leaves Quinn his "kill kit" so he can take care of Oliver Saxon.

While Quinn is savagely butchering Oliver Saxon, Dexter quietly pulls the plug on his sister. Deb is Dexter's' final kill, and Oliver Saxon is Quinn's first.

At the very end, we see a title card that reads "ONE MONTH LATER."

Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison are in Argentina, one big happy family. We get a final voice-over from Dexter about how he was finally able to be rid off his dark passenger.

Fade to black.

We then see Quinn, sitting alone in his car stalking a victim at night. Quinn is examining records... the guy's he after killed his wife and kids. Cut to the guy walking into a night club. Cut back to Quinn, watching his prey. Cut to Dexter's knives in the back seat of Quinn's car. Cut back to Quinn; we can see that there's someone else in the car with him, though their identity is obscured by shadows. Close-up on Quinn as he watches. Then we see the person next to Quinn. It's Deborah. She calmly encourages Quinn and gives advice on how best to capture his victim...

Roll credits.
Yeah, I like this. One person loses his dark passenger ... another gains one.
Old 09-25-13, 02:33 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Old 09-25-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RUSF18
I won't speak for the entire internet, but I know a good amount of people who watch the show and no one expected this to happen. That hope for an interesting conclusion went out the window midway through the season, likely when Deb decided to kill Dexter and then snapped right out of it. Maybe even earlier, but my memory is struggling to think through the chronology of all the shit we got this season.
Just seen a lot of comments about the whole BHB not finishing up. But that's what I thought. Once Deb saved Dexter from the crash, it was all over. Just a damn shame.
Old 09-25-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
How I would have ended this episode:

More or less the same, except as Deb vegetating in the hospital, Dexter comes clean to Quinn about his double life. He then leaves Quinn his "kill kit" so he can take care of Oliver Saxon.

While Quinn is savagely butchering Oliver Saxon, Dexter quietly pulls the plug on his sister. Deb is Dexter's' final kill, and Oliver Saxon is Quinn's first.

At the very end, we see a title card that reads "ONE MONTH LATER."

Dexter, Hannah, and Harrison are in Argentina, one big happy family. We get a final voice-over from Dexter about how he was finally able to be rid off his dark passenger.

Fade to black.

We then see Quinn, sitting alone in his car stalking a victim at night. Quinn is examining records... the guy's he after killed his wife and kids. Cut to the guy walking into a night club. Cut back to Quinn, watching his prey. Cut to Dexter's knives in the back seat of Quinn's car. Cut back to Quinn; we can see that there's someone else in the car with him, though their identity is obscured by shadows. Close-up on Quinn as he watches. Then we see the person next to Quinn. It's Deborah. She calmly encourages Quinn and gives advice on how best to capture his victim...

Roll credits.
Pretty good.

My idea for a better finale is similar...

- Deb is in the hospital dying from the gunshot wound; she confesses to Quinn about Dexter but makes him promise to keep it a secret as her dying wish, and then she dies.

- Quinn tells Dexter that he knows about him but will tell no one because of his promise, so he lets Dexter escape with Hannah & Harrison to Argentina

- then the finale ends with Quinn seeking vengeance, capturing Saxon and killing him on a table, much like Dexter used to do, with Deb in the background as his "Harry" telling him he did the right thing, and him agreeing that it felt right and that he understands now.

The End
Old 09-26-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, being a "Dexter" is a very rare thing. I'm really surprised at the number of people who think a good ending is having a torch passed. Harrison hasn't shown any indication whatsoever that he has sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies. Neither has Quinn. And even though Quinn has been shady, he's nowhere near a ritualistic serial killer.

That said, I can't be too hard on anyone who watched our favorite serial killer give his son to a serial killer instead of sending him to live with his grandparents and siblings, return from a hurricane either by emergency raft or swimming, and become... a lumberjack.
Old 09-26-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
You know, being a "Dexter" is a very rare thing.
But in the universe of "Dexter", serial killers seem to be the most common psychological disorder there is!
Old 09-27-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC
You know, being a "Dexter" is a very rare thing. I'm really surprised at the number of people who think a good ending is having a torch passed. Harrison hasn't shown any indication whatsoever that he has sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies. Neither has Quinn. And even though Quinn has been shady, he's nowhere near a ritualistic serial killer.
Quinn showed just last season that he can be a cold-blooded killer if he thinks it's the right thing to do when he shot and killed the strip club owner when the guy said he was going to send Quinn's girlfriend Nadia off to work as a prostitute. Quinn then staged it to look like self-defense.

Quinn killing bad people in the name of justice is not a stretch.
Old 09-27-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have 20 minutes to spare for a Debra Morgan eff-fest.

http://youtu.be/TiH_VK4HDNc
Old 09-27-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Pretty good.

- Deb is in the hospital dying from the gunshot wound; she confesses to Quinn about Dexter but makes him promise to keep it a secret as her dying wish, and then she dies.

- Quinn tells Dexter that he knows about him but will tell no one because of his promise, so he lets Dexter escape with Hannah & Harrison to Argentina

- then the finale ends with Quinn seeking vengeance, capturing Saxon and killing him on a table, much like Dexter used to do, with Deb in the background as his "Harry" telling him he did the right thing, and him agreeing that it felt right and that he understands now.

The End
That's really good.
Old 09-27-13, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Just caught up with the episode last night. Voted "honestly don't care anymore" ... I can't say I was disappointed because I fully expected it to suck and it met my expectations.
Yeah, I feel the same way. This was a shitty episode in a season full of shitty episodes.

I would have just preferred that Dexter died instead of that lumberjack thing at the end.

I actually liked that one scene where Batista and Quinn are very suspicious of Dexter after he killed Saxon. Why couldn't the rest of the season have been based liked that? Instead we got the Hannah McKay Show.

There were several noticable plot/logic gaps in this episode like no one noticing Dexter carrying Debra through the hospital.

I really wished they hired a better actor to play the villian this year. The guy playing Saxon is just plain bad.

I still don't know which female character pissed me off the most...Hannah or Quinn's stripper girlfriend.
Definitely Hannah. Quinn's stripper girlfriend was only a supporting character in S7. Hannah's return practically hijacked most of the latter half of S8 and we got all types of BS/badly written crap as a result of it. She also was a major part of S7 and had far more airtime than the stripper girlfriend.
Old 09-27-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

The biggest laugh in this show is having so many serial killers in the Miami area.
Old 09-28-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I really wished they hired a better actor to play the villian this year. The guy playing Saxon is just plain bad.
Yeah, his whole acting repertoire seems to be opening his eyes wide to get a crazy eyes look.

At least Tom Hank's son can now say that he wasn't the lamest villain on Dexter.
Old 09-28-13, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Pretty good.

The End
I think it would have been equally cheesy having Quinn turning into a serial killer at the end of the show personally. I don't mind the part about Deb telling him that Dexter was a serial killer, although I think that he already had his suspicions or knew that he was one anyways.
Old 09-28-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dhmac's ending is pretty much one of the "leaked endings"
Old 09-28-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
dhmac's ending is pretty much one of the "leaked endings"
It is? I didn't know that, but it is sad that a leaked ending would be better than the real ending.

In my ending, which is taking the previous 11 episodes of Season 8 (no matter how sucky) "as is", I'm just paying attention to basic story structure and going off stuff that have been well established on the show.

So something that has been established ever since Deb broke up with Quinn back in Season 6 is the fact that Quinn has still remained in love with Deb ever since. That Quinn would not arrest Dexter and keep Dexter's killing behavior a secret if he ever found out would depend on Deb asking him to do just that.

And that Quinn would go outside the law and kill Deb's murderer is based on how he killed the strip club boss last season, which showed he would kill someone if it's the right thing to do, even if it violates his sworn duty as a police detective.

And I was just leaving it open if Quinn would become a serial killer like Dexter - he may or he may not. But after killing Saxon, Quinn would understand why it is right that Dexter killed other killers.
Old 09-29-13, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think it would have been equally cheesy having Quinn turning into a serial killer at the end of the show personally. I don't mind the part about Deb telling him that Dexter was a serial killer, although I think that he already had his suspicions or knew that he was one anyways.
Agreed. Quinn is an amazing actor, but he doesn't have what it takes to be a "Dexter". I mean, Dexter has trained a few people to take his place and it never works out well.
Old 10-07-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a shitty ending. Bad acting from Dexter with the BS self defense killing of Saxon. How the hell did Quinn and Angel can't see that. I would have been happier if they did a happy ending with Dexter off to Argentina with Hannah and Harrison.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.