Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Were you satisfied with the series Finale?
Yes, despite an awful/bad season, I was satisfied.
10.92%
Yes and I'm in the minority and thought season 8 was good
5.88%
No, I'm in the minority and enjoyed season 8, but the ending sucked.
10.92%
No, the season was terrible, the ending was terrible. So disappointed.
49.58%
Honestly, I just don't care anymore.
22.69%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 10:13 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Series Finale -- "Remember the Monsters?" -- 9/22/13

Wow. As laughable as this sounds, it seems like they overanalyzed way too many things in assembling this final season... and along the way forgot to deliver a satisfying or entertaining send-off. I say 'assembling' versus 'creating', because their process sounds too damn calculated. They were so invested in delivering certain emotional bullet points, so locked into this idea of the 'irony' of Dexter having to kill Deb and retreat into isolation, that they never stopped to consider if the whole of the parts led to a worthwhile endgame.

But a fan gripe was the season had Dexter dispatching new threats like in a typical season rather than a sense of that the show was arcing toward a finale with Dex’s world unraveling.
BUCK: It felt like we had done that with LaGuerta last season and with Lundy in season 2. I felt like it ran the risk of feeling repetitious and familiar.
COLLETON: Going that way felt pedestrian to me. I don’t know how else to put it. Years ago it was discussed and tabled as a very predictable non-interesting way to go.
Yes, so much less interesting than Harrison falling off a treadmill. Also, they chalk it up as 'repetitious', but that didn't stop them from recycling the notes of Dex in love with Hannah (season 7) or Dex teaching someone the ropes (season 3 and 5). Even Saxon felt like a diet version of the Ice Truck Killer.

We wanted to believe Harrison would be happy and safe and well taken care of. Dexter judges people on a different level. That Hannah is a killer, Dex understands that. She’s a different kind of killer. She kills for self protection. That protection now applies to Harrison. Dexter believes she will lay her life on the line for Harrison.
Because to hell with Harrison's blood relatives... like Astor and Cody and Harrison's grandparents.

Since Hannah’s a wanted fugitive, couldn’t she have at least put on a ball cap when walking around Miami?
BUCK: We played with the idea of dyeing her hair. In the research we did on fugitives we learned there are countless fugitives out there just walking around that nobody is really looking for. There aren’t funds to hunt down every one of them — particularly Hannah, as she hasn’t been convicted of a crime. She’s not high priority. We put her in sunglasses. Otherwise we didn’t want to call more attention to it.
Which is fine, except for the fact they used it as a major plot device for several episodes leading up to that point!!! So a random ER nurse can make her, but she can stroll through airport security and everywhere else just fine.

Last edited by DRG; 09-23-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-23-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long until the Harrison series starts?
Old 09-23-13, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't seen this episode yet and I'm not exactly looking forward to it. I already read the spoilers and it seems pretty bad.

I'm sure Deb dying will bring out some emotion from me but I do have to say that they really botched her death. If they were going to take her out they should have done it with style. The Brain Surgeon should have done his thing.
Old 09-23-13, 11:05 AM

Given what they were working with, it was alright. I always imagined Dexter would either end up on the run or isolated rather than dead or in jail.

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the final scene was better than Clyde Phillips' proposed "life flashing before his eyes" ending. While everything leading up to that conclusion probably would have been much better than what we got for the past four seasons, having his execution be the final scene doesn't do much for me.
Old 09-23-13, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickey65
The look on Hannah's face when she read the article about Dexter being killed at sea seemed to tell me that in a way she "knew" he didn't really die but was probably never going to see him again anyway.
TVline.com interview with EP:

TVLINE | Was your understanding that Hannah believes Dexter is in fact dead?

Oh, I think she believes it. She knows that the hurricane was bearing down. At that moment, she believes that the reason she hasn’t heard from Dexter is because he was lost in the storm.
Old 09-23-13, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by onebyone
I thought that the avclub was my favorite review of the finale...
It’s a feat for a finale to make you regret having watched a single moment of the series, but “Remember The Monsters” made it look easy. The first and second seasons of Dexter were enjoyable, sure, but they also lined up the first dominoes in a chain of contrivances that allowed Dexter to skirt apprehension and win new allies rather than be made to deal with the consequences of his actions. There was a time when I’d have recommended those seasons, but now I couldn’t even do that in good conscience, knowing they could be the gateway drug to subsequent seasons.
Ouch.
Old 09-23-13, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think he ridded himself of his Dark Passenger before Deb's death.. he had the opportunity to kill Saxon when he was tied down in Saxon's kill chair, but no longer felt the desire to. Then, as a result of not going through with killing Saxon, he finds out that Deb is wounded beyond repair and a vegetable. His urge to kill is back and he gives in to it.

Yes, he has feelings and genuinely loved Deb, Hannah and Harrison. But, I think Deb's death put him over the edge. Deb was his strength and conscience and I don't think he can maintain a normal life w/o a connection to her. He disposed of her body from the deck of the same boat that he used to get rid of so many others. He tried to kill himself in the storm because he didn't want to go back to what he was and was afraid that that was what would happen. There was something in his eyes when he went into the office at the logging camp that was reminiscent of the old Dexter. I think he's back in business ridding the world of bad people.

What I don't understand is why he didn't at least give himself a chance at happiness with Hannah and Harrison. If the urges were back and he couldn't handle them, then make a break. But at least give himself and those that love him a chance.

That's my theory and it's probably totally wrong. I wish the writers would come forward and explain this season and what they were trying to say. Maybe it would make some sense if they would clarify what all this was supposed to mean...
Old 09-23-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It’s a feat for a finale to make you regret having watched a single moment of the series, but “Remember The Monsters” made it look easy. The first and second seasons of Dexter were enjoyable, sure, but they also lined up the first dominoes in a chain of contrivances that allowed Dexter to skirt apprehension and win new allies rather than be made to deal with the consequences of his actions. There was a time when I’d have recommended those seasons, but now I couldn’t even do that in good conscience, knowing they could be the gateway drug to subsequent seasons.
Ouch.
This is exactly how I felt about Lost too after the finale. I tell people don't even bother starting the series.
Old 09-23-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main problem with the series for me was that none of the supporting characters were likeable or even interesting. Deb probably being the most irritating of them all. After season two or so, it just turned into the serial killer of the season type show.
Old 09-23-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 09-23-13, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.

Old 09-23-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It was a shit ending. I think Dexter deserved a better ending; after all he was doing society a favor. He was a sort of Punisher. At least that's how I saw him. Sure, he fucked up along the way but he was a good guy overall.
Old 09-23-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

someone refresh my memory. Dexter dumped his brother's body in the water, right? I think he did, which is why I'm not so mad at him dumping Deb's body. Sort of comes full circle. But outside of that, it was garbage.
Old 09-23-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
someone refresh my memory. Dexter dumped his brother's body in the water, right? I think he did, which is why I'm not so mad at him dumping Deb's body. Sort of comes full circle. But outside of that, it was garbage.
Didn't the police find his brother's body and determine that he committed suicide somehow?
Old 09-23-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

see, i couldn't remember, that's why i was asking.
Old 09-23-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The ONLY part I liked was the look Quinn gave Dexter when they were questioning him..."Clearly it was self-defense." Other than that sliver, it was just brutal. Matsuka's daughter/dead end plot, escaping a raging hurricane in an emergency raft, Dexter gets away free, ugh. Hate to see this show go out that way, but it did and that's the end.
Old 09-23-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I think he dumped his body... I didnt have an issue with the way he dump Deb's body... I mean he probably looks at the sea as his personal graveyard.

Overall Im pissed at the way it ended, the way it was written and brought to screen. Completely craptastic.
Old 09-23-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
someone refresh my memory. Dexter dumped his brother's body in the water, right?
His brother was strapped on a table/apparatus of some sort with his legs in the air to let his blood drain out, mimicking how his victims died. Dexter set it up to look like a suicide.
Old 09-23-13, 04:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigh
LOL. So in hospital, where Dexter was about to confront Saxon and Mr. LaGuerta told Saxon to "drop it"... There were no nurses, no secretaries, no social workers, no axulliary staff, no one at all... in the fucking surgical intensive care unit?

And when they arrest him, they don't manhandle and rough him up, slamming him to the ground with their knees on his back pressing his face into the floor? And they don't search him for any weapons? Just drop it, put some restraints on and let's go to the station? No need to search for another gun, scalpels, just restraints and let's go.

Then, Hannah is talking to Harrison on the bus and a stranger forcibly grabs her arm, and she casually turns to see who it is. No reaction, like "WTF!" Just a casual turn.

Furthermore, they did not resolve the Masuka daughter story-line. Does the carpet match the drapes or not?

It was great when the writers ACKNOWLEDGED Hannah's blond hair with dialog... but did nothing about it.

What a shit show.
Deb was not in any icu before she had her stroke. She was on a normal med surg floor.

They shortened the Saxon search for time.

Hannah has never reacted in a scared fashion, have you ever watched the show?

The rest I'm not sure what you're complaining about. There were much more worse dumb headed actions from our characters, but no one can ever accuse anyone on Dexter for being smart.
Old 09-23-13, 04:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL. So in hospital, where Dexter was about to confront Saxon and Mr. LaGuerta told Saxon to "drop it"... There were no nurses, no secretaries, no social workers, no axulliary staff, no one at all... in the fucking surgical intensive care unit?
Do you mean Batista??
Old 09-23-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Feel bad for Dexter's step kids too, its like....now the only 'dad' they knew is gone, as is their half brother.
Old 09-23-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Any chance that Showtime will dust this off after a few years and bring the show back like FOX is doing for 24? With new writers of course...
Old 09-23-13, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Just finished watching.

Wow... just wow. So many things to shit on here.

That's a shitty way for Deb to die. Sure it was because of Saxon, but a surprise clot leading to a stroke? Feels lame.

As usual, Dexter seems to have the super-power of being invisible... he can walk in and out of places - even carrying a body, and no one will notice.

Dumping Deb's body in Dexter's personal ocean graveyard that he's filled with killers - nice tribute to Deb there.

So Dexter thinks he destroy's everyone he loves. Pretty sure Hannah was bad before he met Dexter - and he decides to leave his kid with her. If Dexter got rid of his Dark Passenger, then he's truly starting a new life and wouldn't be destroying Hannah and Harrison's life... but by abandoning them (especially Harrison) he's doing more damage.
So he's a logger now (seriously, wtf is that about?) and he no longer has the urge to kill? THAT is when he should be around people - NOT when he's a killer. It's backwards thinking.

You know a plotline is totally irrelevant when the series ends and you're reminded of it's existence only after you've read posts mentioning it.

There were so many ways this show could've ended - the possibilities for something decent were numerous. It's surprising that this ending was OK'd by everyone. And the final shot? Ugh.

BRUTAL.
Old 09-23-13, 06:00 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
Wow how fucking genius of the writers to have thrown us that little bit of foreshadowing!

How stupid we are for not picking up this fantastic clue and figuring out how it would all come together!

To see this comment makes me think this guy had no business being in charge of this show. How arbitrary is it for this to have been mentioned and why on earth would anyone even remember it and put things together. This guy and his writers should be ashamed of themselves for how badly they ruined the last two seasons of this show.
I buy it completely. A few years ago I used the butt of a screwdriver to try to loosen one of the clips holding a Dell server in its rail, and my hand slipped and I cut the shit out of my thumb; I needed 8 stitches. Fast forward a couple of weeks later. My coffeemaker had a loose screw, and after cutting my thumb the screwdriver ended up back at my desk, so I had it handy and was able to tighten that damn screw. See, I had a plan when I cut myself, but the endgame was a little hazy.
Old 09-23-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Okay, fine, there was absolutely ZERO staff on a med-surg floor? Good one.
It was a trap for Saxon. Deb wasn't in the room listed on the sheet. They moved everyone to a different area and used the empty room that the sheet said she was in as bait. There are a ton of things to complain about for this episode/season, but that wasn't one of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.