Reload this Page >

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Old 03-02-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Ok, it's starting to irk me that Lori always wears the same style of dress.
Old 03-02-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, when Scrub Daddy was on, i think they mentioned it cost 10? cents to make. Lori made him a deal and now they are selling then for $4 each on QVC and BBB. The video of the pitch has been removed from youtube while other episodes are still there. It just devalues the products if people know how much it cost to make the items vs. how much they eventually sell it for so I am sure they are editing it in the future to avoid that.
Old 03-02-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Yeah, when Scrub Daddy was on, i think they mentioned it cost 10? cents to make. Lori made him a deal and now they are selling then for $4 each on QVC and BBB. The video of the pitch has been removed from youtube while other episodes are still there. It just devalues the products if people know how much it cost to make the items vs. how much they eventually sell it for so I am sure they are editing it in the future to avoid that.
I'm surprised those profit margin discussions ever make it to air. Customers don't realize the gross margins on most consumer goods and it's not a good thing to advertise that a $10 item costs $1.80 or whatever to manufacture. The cost estimates are overstated if anything on this show because once the business is scaled by the Sharks, marginal unit costs go down even further.
Old 03-02-14, 02:35 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Here's a great article from D Magazine:

Inside the Shark Tank With Mark Cuban
Old 03-02-14, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm so buying the Bambooie towels.
Old 03-02-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Bambooie owner was a great salesman, much in the same vein as the Shamwow guy.
Old 03-02-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm surprised those profit margin discussions ever make it to air. Customers don't realize the gross margins on most consumer goods and it's not a good thing to advertise that a $10 item costs $1.80 or whatever to manufacture. The cost estimates are overstated if anything on this show because once the business is scaled by the Sharks, marginal unit costs go down even further.
I don't know, I think the kind of person who enjoys watching this show understands the nature of the beast. I doubt it really bothers any potential customers - especially when those profit margin discussions often lead right into the owner revealing they aren't making any money. I think people understand there are more costs to doing business than just manufacturing.
Old 03-03-14, 09:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was interesting hearing Barbara sort of dissing the Ava the Elephant deal, since they recently had that on the Update and were doing their usual 'look how great this deal turned out' schtick.
Old 03-03-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

I bought a Scrub Daddy simply because it was a product we could use and it didn't hurt we saw it on Shark Tank --- I know the margins but I also realize most "simple" products are like that --- like Coke or Pepsi or a tank of f*&king gas!
Old 03-03-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Loved the Bambooie salesman. He was funny. Glad that he's partnering with Lori.

The doctor with Buzzy was so freaking arrogant. Huge over-valuation and she's a fool to not partner with the Sharks even though they wanted more equity.
Old 03-07-14, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool product with the bike lights...

But even more interesting is the behind the scenes action regarding Cuban and his skepticism with that deal: http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...cuban?single=1

I read the article last week and was hoping to see the episode air soon. Interesting stuff!
Old 03-07-14, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Darq
Cool product with the bike lights...

But even more interesting is the behind the scenes action regarding Cuban and his skepticism with that deal: http://www.dmagazine.com/publication...cuban?single=1

I read the article last week and was hoping to see the episode air soon. Interesting stuff!
I read that article too and knew that guy was coming, and I think Mark was absolutely right. I'd think it has to be a growing problem on Shark Tank: companies that just want the publicity and don't really want a deal, and I'm glad it was addressed.

I actually thought the knee pads on the pants wasn't a bad idea. Adding the squeak sound was horrible though. Great way to make your child the most hated one among the other parents at the playground.

Really enjoyed the episode, quite a few laugh out loud moments tonight, especially Kevin's ridiculous secret society story.
Old 03-07-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Kevin's story was fucking awesome. I love it when he gives some big elaborate story to turn someone down.

As for the bike light guy, he seemed sincere. Usually, you can tell the people who are on there for publicity. They are smug assholes. This guy seemed genuine to me, but I guess we'll find out.
Old 03-07-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia

Really enjoyed the episode, quite a few laugh out loud moments tonight, especially Kevin's ridiculous secret society story.
You know when he starts out with "Let me tell you a story", he's out, but that was a good one
Old 03-08-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Stupid Squeaky Guy: "This is the jump off point."

Mr. Wonderful: "Right off the cliff, baby."

And nothing beats his stories.
Old 03-08-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm a little confused by Mark's reason for lashing out at the bike lights guy.

He's sort of accusing him of using the show to get some publicity? Or he's blindly assuming that the guy has some serious debt or something else that he's not disclosing on the show?

I saw the guy as someone who has a product ready to go, and wants/needs some money and big names to back up the business. He undervalued his business a little (due to lack of experience, or determination to make a deal).

In my own business, I couldn't care less about ownership - if I were bringing a Shark on board. The possibilities would be endless.
Old 03-08-14, 11:43 AM
Suspended

Shark Tank is now beating SHIELD in ratings. LMAO.
Old 03-08-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Cool. Hopefully it reaches and inspires people to get off their butts and be entrepreneurial with their ideas.

Or maybe it's just another version of a dumb reality show.

I'm not quite sure.
Old 03-08-14, 11:47 AM

Mark accused the guy of being on Shark Tank just for publicity and to not actually make a deal. His reasoning was that he came in with a lowball valuation so that the other Sharks would bite. But Mark felt he exposed his real intentions when Robert offered him double what he was asking for, and the guy just stood there and asked for other offers. That just doesn't happen on Shark Tank. Usually companies that need help are grateful to get that kind of deal, and he didn't even flinch. So Mark believed the guy's plan was to take the best offer, then back out during the diligence phase and keep his equity, since he now had the publicity he wanted in the first place.

He just should have said yes to Robert immediately and none of that drama would have happened.

BTW, as much as we all loved Kevin's story, it turns out pretty much all of it is true.
Old 03-08-14, 01:28 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought the shoe lace guy was interesting in that I could see a successful partnership with Mark Daymond, or Lori and I think each of those deals would take the product in an entirely different direction, but all three of them had the potential to be extremely successful. I'm glad he got a deal with one of those three.
Old 03-08-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Kevin's story

The baby pad people were annoying. They also have a stupid product.

I liked the buffer guy. The product is good and useful but I can't see too many people shelling out $20 for it. It's a niche product for the few people that shine their shoes regularly.

I'm very interested in the Laces. I have a few pairs of Puma's that would look good with laces like those.
Old 03-08-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

The buffer guy's thing is something you'd find on an end-cap at a Bed, Bath & Beyond; it's not a product on which to build much of anything significant.
Old 03-08-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Shark Tank is now beating SHIELD in ratings. LMAO.
Which is crazy when you consider the challenges of airing on Friday night.

I think Barbara might have given the baby pad couple a deal out of kindness. I'm surprised none of the Sharks suggested removing the terrible squeaking, that is why parents were avoiding it like the plague.

They need a telemarketing Shark on the show other than Lori, a person more plugged into the infomercial space. Many of these products are mostly infomercial fodder.
Old 03-08-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Which is crazy when you consider the challenges of airing on Friday night.

I think Barbara might have given the baby pad couple a deal out of kindness. I'm surprised none of the Sharks suggested removing the terrible squeaking, that is why parents were avoiding it like the plague.

They need a telemarketing Shark on the show other than Lori, a person more plugged into the infomercial space. Many of these products are mostly infomercial fodder.

I keep wondering why they don't bring in Anthony Sullivan. I can only assume they think it will piss off Lori to the point she might leave the show.
Old 03-09-14, 01:08 PM
Suspended

I'm so buying those laces.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.