Reload this Page >

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Old 01-13-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

I don't see that wall doctor actually working. To patch a hole that size and them to make it the patch look like it blends in with the wall will require alot more plaster then that little patch. The trick will be to flatten it as much as possible. but still need major sanding and probably additional plastering to blend it right.
Old 01-17-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was rooting for Alaska mud girl, but if she's making 100K a year fishing I can't feel too bad.

I can't believe the invisiplug guys got a deal. I have at least five power bars and all are hidden. I agree with Cuban, that they'd be better off marketing it to the higher end crowd.

Locker organizer was kind of neat. Those guys sweated a lot.

I like the balloons but I had no clue as to how that was supposed to be used. Don't piss off the clown community

Last edited by astrochimp; 01-17-14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post

I can't believe the invisiplug guys got a deal.
Those guys were idiots.

Robert: I'll give you $125K for 25%.

Invisiplug: We'd like to counter with $125K for 20%.

Robert: I accept.

Invisiplug: Um, can we go out in the hall and talk about it?

Ridiculous.
Old 01-18-14, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 580 Likes on 501 Posts

The locker guys could have easily cut the equity stake they gave up. Both sharks were heavily interested in their product and the rubes didn't even make a counter-offer. That thing will almost assuredly show up on QVC.
Old 01-18-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts

OGFG, those Invisiplug guys were idiots. Robert took their counter offer with no royalties, yet they hesitated and now they have a royalty based deal.
Old 01-18-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

With the locker shelves... where do you put your coat?
Old 01-18-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho View Post
With the locker shelves... where do you put your coat?
Next to the top hat and cane?
Old 01-24-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

The "wonderful" Kevin O'Leary:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U79DoiC49r0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even for him that's a bit of an over the top douche baggery way to say that.

Theres always a tonne of poor people in relation to the elite rich. That's the way the world is. Its not really about motivation. If you're poor, don't have 10 kids.
Old 01-24-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Skin cancer lady was lucky Lori did the deal with her. She could have made her sweat it out.

FitDeck guy was cool, but I figured there was no deal to be made there.

Dude with the pills was not mentally sound

I liked the baby shoes woman. Glad she got a deal.
Old 01-24-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 418 Likes on 342 Posts

C'mon. He's a musician, Barbara.

The minute I saw it was a pill product, I knew it was all downhill and Cubes would pounce.
Old 01-24-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Terrible deal for baby shoes woman.

This is pretty cool. At Cuban's behest, they're getting rid of the equity clause of companies appearing on the show.
Old 01-24-14, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
C'mon. He's a musician, Barbara.
Old 01-24-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,001 Likes on 725 Posts

The kid swimwear lady is local and the local news did a short blurb with her. She said she was scared to death being in front of them. They then said she told them she wants to start another company in five years. Aim high!

Yeah, the pill guy had no chance. Kinda surprised he even made it on the show.
Old 01-25-14, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The kid swimwear lady is local and the local news did a short blurb with her. She said she was scared to death being in front of them. They then said she told them she wants to start another company in five years. Aim high!

Yeah, the pill guy had no chance. Kinda surprised he even made it on the show.
Pretty sure the producers knew exactly what Mark was going to do to him. And he did.

I did laugh hard after he bragged about not eating for eight days and how sharp his mind was, and then he called Lori "Barbara."
Old 01-25-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 969 Likes on 672 Posts

$60 baby shoes? the fuck? no thanks. i won't pay more for my kid's shoes than i do my own.

my wife ordered a groove book last night. i think she'll continue along with it. 2nd thing we've bought outside of that smiley face sponge.
Old 01-25-14, 12:13 PM

Skin cancer lady was lucky Lori did the deal with her. She could have made her sweat it out.

FitDeck guy was cool, but I figured there was no deal to be made there.

Is that a first? Just... wow. Barbara... wow.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but f*** this show for putting snake oil on at all. Cuban is full of hot air, and I say that having admired him from back when he posted on AVSForum in the eaaaaarly days of HD, with HDNet.

Because he's totally right. This asshole came on, hopes women will say "Holy crap, I can take that and not eat!!! Size zero, here I come!" They should have left his segment in the dumpster where his snake oil pills belong. Cuban should have used his clout, demanding the producers never even mention the guy came on the show, much less airing his segment. He got exactly what he wanted - he didn't want a deal, just ten million eyes on his snake oil product.

Also, skin cancer woman? I hate deals like that, when Lori invests in emotion. There was nothing unique, nothing at all limited to that line. It used common materials for clothes... for a niche market, to boot.

Depending on the post-investment relationship, and how involved any of them *really* are, good luck Lori. Skin cancer husband was a total asshole - watch the end of his segment. I've never seen someone walking out of there do this before so obviously, but his eyes are smugly/arrogantly following the camera lens squarely the entire time. If 'Barbara' had any sense, she'd have backed out the second the woman balked. That's gonna be a fun relationship.
Old 01-25-14, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Coladar1 View Post
Is that a first? Just... wow. Barbara... wow.

I'm surprised no one mentioned it, but f*** this show for putting snake oil on at all. Cuban is full of hot air, and I say that having admired him from back when he posted on AVSForum in the eaaaaarly days of HD, with HDNet.

Because he's totally right. This asshole came on, hopes women will say "Holy crap, I can take that and not eat!!! Size zero, here I come!" They should have left his segment in the dumpster where his snake oil pills belong. Cuban should have used his clout, demanding the producers never even mention the guy came on the show, much less airing his segment. He got exactly what he wanted - he didn't want a deal, just ten million eyes on his snake oil product.
I really don't mind if snake oil guys are on the show if they get exposed for what they are. Yeah, eight million people saw his product, but eight million people also saw him and his product torn to shreds. If people still buy it after that, that's their own fault.

You would have more of a case to be angry if one of them bought into it and made a deal with him. But they all saw through him and in doing so warned the public about it at the same time.
Old 01-25-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 193 Likes on 142 Posts

That pill was stupid. The concept was stupid. Does protein powder not exist in his world? Fifty bucks buys you a high quality big bottle of that stuff.
Old 01-25-14, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by sydonesia View Post
I really don't mind if snake oil guys are on the show if they get exposed for what they are. Yeah, eight million people saw his product, but eight million people also saw him and his product torn to shreds. If people still buy it after that, that's their own fault.

You would have more of a case to be angry if one of them bought into it and made a deal with him. But they all saw through him and in doing so warned the public about it at the same time.
Yeah, but my problem is eight million did see it, and there are a LOT of stupid people. Worse, it isn't just the idiots amongst us, but desperate folks as well who might figure they've nothing else to lose, nothing else worked, give that a go.

Now then, I'm totally groovy when it comes to it being those idiots own fault for buying. Agree 100%.

Buuuut... this asshole snake oil salesman makes a s#!tload of cash off of it in the process. He gets rich directly thanks to Shark Tank. Worse, it only inspires others looking to make a fast buck to try something similar, perpetuating a never ending cycle of conmen.

Which... you know, I just remembered something. When I first started watching this show years ago, I'm vaguely remembering the producers get something like 5% equity regardless of a deal being made. Am I right on that? Supposedly to stop people from coming on with 0 intent of a deal, purely for publicity.

My point being, if that is true and still the case, the producers of the show stand to profit from this BS too - and profit from airing his segment. Appalling, regardless. We all know plenty of folks are going to 'try it out' thanks to ST's spotlight, and the idea of that huckster making a dime sickens me.
Old 01-25-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Coladar1 View Post
Which... you know, I just remembered something. When I first started watching this show years ago, I'm vaguely remembering the producers get something like 5% equity regardless of a deal being made. Am I right on that? Supposedly to stop people from coming on with 0 intent of a deal, purely for publicity.
Scroll up nine posts.
Old 01-25-14, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide View Post
Scroll up nine posts.

Durr... thanks, Barbara!

I haven't eaten in three years, thanks magic pills! I'm just as sharp as ever thanks to all your special metabolic proteins!
Old 01-25-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
This is pretty cool. At Cuban's behest, they're getting rid of the equity clause of companies appearing on the show.
Bad idea. Some of these people come on the show solely for publicity by setting a valuation so astronomical that no one will bite. This will encourage more of that.
Old 01-25-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts

You have to marvel at Cuban ripping the pill guy apart for selling snake oil, and then Kevin is concerned that people won't buy enough of them with a five year shelf-life.
Old 01-25-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,294 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I loved how Cuban tore apart the Life Caps guy.

I could definitely understand why. He claimed he was selling a food supplement in case of disaster, but it was just another "diet" pill. He was na´ve to think that anyone would even be remotely interested in investing in something that you have to ingest that claims some kind of nutritional value.

at him calling Lori Barbara.

As for the women selling the baby shoes. Yeah her product is really expensive, mainly because she manufactures it stateside. I think she alluded that she wanted to get a deal to get it manufactured overseas (probably in China) and help reduce cost and reduce the price point. Daymond was definitely the right guy to help her with that.

I liked the personality of the FitDeck guy and he has a tremendous resume. But there is no way to mass market that product. Most people are already extremely lazy when it comes to exercise and buying a deck of cards isn't going to entice someone to exercise more.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.