Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

at how those two choked on the drumpants. The Asian girl had no clue. I was laughing also how Robert gave them a decent offer, but they got greedy and kept blowing him off. I was glad Robert pulled the offer.
Old 10-05-14, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
that asian american drumpants girl was soo stupid

I do think Shark Tank compared to Dragons Den UK and CA has the sharks being a bit too aggressive in terms of time frames and other demands on their offers. The people being made the offers should be able to hear everyone out first, absorb all of the offers, make counters if necessary then decide on an offer without fear of any offer being retracted.

But like everyone American, there has to be more forced drama, so you get people unfairly losing offers because of egos (sharks getting the hump if the people even consider other people's offers).

It's not like this on Dragons Den UK
I agree. And what's worse is that sometimes if the contestants want to hear other offers, the Sharks are fine with it. Other times, the Sharks seem to get personally offended. It's just so random, or at least that's how it plays on TV.

Last edited by Shinobi; 10-05-14 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 09:19 PM

Seriously, at this point if Robert makes you an offer and your first response is to look at Mark Cuban, you're screwed. You're better off just declining it and rolling the dice with Mark. That way you can avoid the inevitable hissy fit before getting the offer pulled or changed to a worse deal.

You'd think some of these guys would actually WATCH the show before going in to realize that. But they just do the same dumb things over and over.
Old 10-05-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
Seriously, at this point if Robert makes you an offer and your first response is to look at Mark Cuban, you're screwed. You're better off just declining it and rolling the dice with Mark. That way you can avoid the inevitable hissy fit before getting the offer pulled or changed to a worse deal.

You'd think some of these guys would actually WATCH the show before going in to realize that. But they just do the same dumb things over and over.
Exactly...I keep thinking the same thing you do - do people not watch the series before coming off it. As many times as Robert has gone out after someone ignored him and looked for a better offer, you'd think they'd know better.
Old 10-06-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Totally baffled tonight.

Don't understand what was so special about the bath toy. How can that get a utility patent? I'm no patent lawyer but it's basically a dressed up sponge. Then Damon doubles down on the dog sling or whatever.

Then drumpants and blowing off Robert.

I actually thought the stupid ninja cards were the best product.
I don't see how you could get a patent on the sponge either. We've had washcloths made out of stuffed animals that your hands go inside. I didn't see anything unique there.

And why Damon would invest in the dog sling is beyond me, except maybe that it's a very cheap investment that was turning a profit.

The drumpants had potential in terms of other uses or show acts, I'd think. But for the mainstream? No way.
Old 10-06-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Exactly...I keep thinking the same thing you do - do people not watch the series before coming off it. As many times as Robert has gone out after someone ignored him and looked for a better offer, you'd think they'd know better.
To be fair to the DrumPants people, it's not like Robert made them some incredible offer. If he offered them exactly what they were asking for I'd be more understanding of Robert's reaction. But he didn't. Of course they're going to keep shopping after getting an offer that isn't as good as what they came in asking for.

Robert is mostly a baby about these things. He doesn't like it that everyone would rather do a deal with Cuban over him. That's why he changed his mind.
Old 10-06-14, 07:02 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Robert is easily the most insecure Shark. He knows most people prefer some of the other Sharks if they have a choice, that's why he's such a dick about his offers.
Old 10-07-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Before Cuban came on the show, Robert was the "tech" shark. Once Cuban showed up, the tech companies all want to work with him and Robert is usually an afterthought. It's so obvious most of the time that companies target one or two sharks. Lori has such a huge advantage for most consumer products with her QVC connections.
Old 10-08-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

There are cell phone chargers with doors that use credit cards for id purposes only. Made and sponsored by Samsung. Blue light shows available "slots" that turn red when they are "occupied". The whole time watching I am like "they have this already".
Old 10-13-14, 08:53 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Robert lost out again even though he had lower percentage ! lol

loved the kid who chose Mr Wonderful even though he had the worst percentage.

When was the last time Robert actually won out over other Sharks ? (doesn't count if he is the only one who made an offer)
Old 10-13-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Robert seems like the most reasonable one to work with but he doesn't throw around his connections enough. Cuban was a celebrity before he ever came on this show and businesses realize he knows the tech space. Barbara seems to champion kids and single women. I don't think Kevin likes making many deals, he's at the point where he remains on as a villain to stir the pot. They need to bring in a new, worse villain.
Old 10-14-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Boy that kid really made a panic move by going with Mr. Wonderful. Dad should have stepped in there and done the deal with Barbara. I know he's just a kid so he doesn't know but regardless of what your product is any of those sharks can make it successful. It doesn't make sense to give up an extra 15% in equity because one of them has more experience in a certain industry.

Barbara was being a dick for no real reason to those rich guys. They have a perfectly fine product but they need to get it in stores. They also need to lower that cost to $0.99. It's the perfect product to put by the register. If I saw that on my way out the store and it was .99 I would pick up 3 or 4 since they're pretty much one time use. For 2.99 though I wouldn't buy it.

And I may have missed it, but what the hell happened to the $2 million their dad gave them? If it was poorly invested it's a big red flag for the sharks so I assume there was something I missed.
Old 10-14-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Robert is easily the most insecure Shark. He knows most people prefer some of the other Sharks if they have a choice, that's why he's such a dick about his offers.
He'd be the first shark I'd want to do a deal with. We already know that Mr. Wonderful is just in it for the money and both Cuban and Daymond look to get controlling interests in companies so if they can't make them work they can just "flip" them for a profit or, if they can't obtaining a controlling interest, sell off their interest at a profit. Robert, on the other hand, seems like someone who would invest in your idea and try to make it work.
Old 10-14-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Mr. Wonderful shows interest in a business, that means he believes it is a viable, long-term business. He has great contacts and vast experience in negotiating with large corporations on licensing issues.
Old 10-16-14, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
If Mr. Wonderful shows interest in a business, that means he believes it is a viable, long-term business. He has great contacts and vast experience in negotiating with large corporations on licensing issues.
My theory has always been that Mr. Wonderful makes awful offers because he doesn't really want to do business, but if they bite, he'll probably work the hardest of them all since now there's more in it for him to profit off of. It's not an accident that probably the most one-sided deal ever made in Shark Tank history (the cupcake in a jar) is the one he crows about the most.

BTW, having read a recent interview with Robert, I'm starting to believe that his offers getting blown off twice in the same show last week despite being the better deals could be some foreshadowing for a future episode. There definitely seemed to be some frustration in his face.
Old 10-16-14, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get that impression as well, Mr. Wonderful is not seriously interested in handing out too many deals. I think he's happier stirring the pot and becoming a celebrity by this show.
Old 10-17-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to give one of those Caddy Girls a try.
Old 10-17-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That Red Dress chick was really pretty, but that was one out of control left eyebrow.
Old 10-18-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Nothing too exciting this episode. The Red Dress couple have done an amazing job on their own, so it's interesting to see if they can take it to the next level with the sharks.

The only other one that was mildly interesting was the Caddie Girls, and that doesn't seem all that unique. It could easily be duplicated and ripped off, especially after this episode.
Old 10-18-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Haven't started watching the new season of Shark Tank yet, but on a related note, the new season of the Canadian Dragon's Den started recently, minus the contemptible O'Leary (good riddance!) and the likable Bruce Croxon (who left for reasons I don't know). New Dragons are chef Vikram Vij and financier Michael Wekerle. I watched the first episode and liked what I saw with the new Dragons. Vij hasn't put a personal stamp on the show so far, but Wekerle is a quirky fellow, and the last wisps of O'Leary's noxious presence have been cleared from the set.
Old 10-18-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Caddy Girls is cool. Good for them for turning it into a business. But it seems like it'd be all kind of problems. And we don't need to discuss why.
Old 10-18-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Haven't started watching the new season of Shark Tank yet, but on a related note, the new season of the Canadian Dragon's Den started recently, minus the contemptible O'Leary (good riddance!) and the likable Bruce Croxon (who left for reasons I don't know). New Dragons are chef Vikram Vij and financier Michael Wekerle. I watched the first episode and liked what I saw with the new Dragons. Vij hasn't put a personal stamp on the show so far, but Wekerle is a quirky fellow, and the last wisps of O'Leary's noxious presence have been cleared from the set.
As much as I dislike O'Leary personally, I always thought he was the best dragon. He never took the show too serious and was funny. I like the way he never got sanctimonious like the rest of those crybabies (I'm still irritated by the episode years ago where some guy came on pitching a medical marijuana product and all the dragons save Leary were scandalized, comparing him to a heroin pusher.)
Old 10-19-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
As much as I dislike O'Leary personally, I always thought he was the best dragon. He never took the show too serious and was funny. I like the way he never got sanctimonious like the rest of those crybabies (I'm still irritated by the episode years ago where some guy came on pitching a medical marijuana product and all the dragons save Leary were scandalized, comparing him to a heroin pusher.)
I only vaguely recall the segment you're talking about, but O'Leary is the type who will make a buck off anything if he can. He has no moral compass. And he seems to be really like that (it's not just a put-on for TV), if you listen to him on the Lang-O'Leary Exchange. Is that still on? I started a thread in Other recently about psychopathy. O'Leary is a perfect fit as a corporate psychopath. I would put money on his being a clinical psychopath, which is not to say he's going around killing or physically hurting people, just stepping over them for his gain.

The others on Dragon's Den are all shrewd business people, but they take stands against pitches that offend their morals. It may sound sanctimonious to you, but to me it's ethical investing. There have been a number of such instances over the years. Even Jim, who is probably the second-most business-oriented panelist on the show, has taken umbrage a number of times. It's a shame Brett Wilson left the show a couple of years ago, but he objected to the "yelling at people" format, apparently. He was unquestionably the most genuinely decent and kind of the Dragons, followed by Arlene, who is a sweetheart, but hardnosed as well. I read recently that Brett's cancer has returned. I wish him well.
As to not taking the show too seriously, I think they all joke around quite a bit. Chilton, who comes across as very serious and stiff, has a dry sense of humour that isn't readily detectable.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 10-19-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Nothing too exciting this episode. The Red Dress couple have done an amazing job on their own, so it's interesting to see if they can take it to the next level with the sharks.

The only other one that was mildly interesting was the Caddie Girls, and that doesn't seem all that unique. It could easily be duplicated and ripped off, especially after this episode.
My thoughts exactly. The Red Dress couple seemed really on top of things and I think that partnership is only going to help them.

I was surprised to see in the update that horror experience woman doing well with Mark Cuban's help. Honestly I didn't think too much of it last year and thought Mark overpaid.
Old 10-19-14, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I only vaguely recall the segment you're talking about...
I agree with everything you said about O'Leary. I only saw one Lang and O'Leary segment, and he came off like such a buffoon, doing nothing but cracking jokes to cover up the fact he clearly knew nothing about the topic at hand, I never watched again.

I still have issues with the other Dragons, but perhaps I should start a Dragon's Den thread for that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.