Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Old 02-01-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Cereal milk. But I love the eye candy that dude brought in with him.
Yeah, basing a product on the worst part of breakfast wasn't the best idea. The best part of breakfast as a kid was when you over-sugared your Cheerios, and were left with a sludge of sugary milk. I'd get sick as a dog if I ate that today, but as a nine year old? Nectar of the gods.

I doubt such a product would get far, though.
Old 02-01-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

I think the greatest appeal of cereal milk comes after eating the actual cereal. I don't think it would be as yummy straight out of the bottle where it's just flavored milk. I loved the Shark's reaction when he started to spout how much better milk is for athletes after a game

When the app guy dismissed the initial offer I thought he was done. But then the feeding frenzy started. That's fun to watch. I wanted to see the entire photo but I guess ABC didn't want to show the entire studio set.

That boxing trainer was pretty cool but pretty expensive. And he had a lot of debt. Holy cow. Hopefully he can dig himself out.
Old 02-01-14, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
That boxing trainer was pretty cool but pretty expensive. And he had a lot of debt. Holy cow. Hopefully he can dig himself out.
I loved the product, but man, I can see why they are in so much debt. There's no way I'd pay even a third of what he was asking for for the home version. And the name was horrible. It's like they were trying to be too clever for their own good. No one's going to remember how to spell or say it.

Especially considering how successful Pro-NRG appears to be after they changed the ridiculous name (it'll always be Pro-Nerg to me now) to just plain "Protein Water."
Old 02-01-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I'm pretty sure that exercise guy knew the sharks would have little interest in a business with that much debt. As he alluded to using infomercials, that was basically a free television spot in the hopes of attracting customers.
Old 02-01-14, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have zero interest in that app, but damn, that's pretty fucking cool. Gotta love science.
I don't think most of them cared about the app. They were like vultures because they realized this guy had "cracked" the ability to manipulate the phone's vibration function and make it move in a determined manner...and then patented it. Who knows where that could go...
Old 02-01-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I don't think most of them cared about the app. They were like vultures because they realized this guy had "cracked" the ability to manipulate the phone's vibration function and make it move in a determined manner...and then patented it. Who knows where that could go...
I eagerly await your "cracked" app. If you can make the vibrating fly.....I'll invest.
Old 02-05-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Just watched the latest last night. The woman assisting the chap with the electronic boxing bag was a cutie.
Old 02-05-14, 01:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only problem with the phone app is if Apple changes to a form factor without flat edges in its next iPhone design, the tech will be worthless (or people would have to buy a special boxy case to get it to work).
Old 02-05-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
The only problem with the phone app is if Apple changes to a form factor without flat edges in its next iPhone design, the tech will be worthless (or people would have to buy a special boxy case to get it to work).
I thought the same thing. My phone (Note 3) definitely wouldn't work with this app.
Old 02-05-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

If i remember correctly, he said they were working on a base so that the app could be used on any phone. My guess is if Apple changed the design of their phones, the base could be used. The app went from 600,000 downloads to over 8 million since he made the deal.
Old 02-21-14, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to try those pancakes.
Old 02-22-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't understand why they didn't put the pancake woman on an episode with Lori as a shark if she already has a deal to air her product on QVC. She would have been a natural partner.
Old 02-22-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was interested in seeing what DDP Yoga's sales and profits were, since I knew he was going to be on the show. Pretty impressive actually. Sales of over $3M and profits of almost $900k. I thought that they should have pushed the fact that it would appeal to more men because of so many former/current wrestlers and athletes are using it but to me, this seemed like just advertising as well.
Old 02-22-14, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
I was interested in seeing what DDP Yoga's sales and profits were, since I knew he was going to be on the show. Pretty impressive actually. Sales of over $3M and profits of almost $900k. I thought that they should have pushed the fact that it would appeal to more men because of so many former/current wrestlers and athletes are using it but to me, this seemed like just advertising as well.
I think Page was just there for the publicity. It seemed a little odd that a company that was that successful would get no takers at all. Not to mention if you've already got close to a million in profit, what do you need a Shark for?
Old 02-22-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't understand why they didn't put the pancake woman on an episode with Lori as a shark if she already has a deal to air her product on QVC. She would have been a natural partner.
Of course, it did allow the mention of a few negatives regarding QVC that they might have refrained from if Lori were there.
Old 02-22-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's possible that Lori already had money invested in a competitor. That presentation definitely felt like the feel-good story they like to run every few episodes, where a struggling female entrepreneur gets a deal more out of charity than actual merit. The other sharks clearly had no interest. It's virtually impossible to make money on these small-time food deals.

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I think Page was just there for the publicity. It seemed a little odd that a company that was that successful would get no takers at all. Not to mention if you've already got close to a million in profit, what do you need a Shark for?
That was a free infomercial for their product. You can tell their strategy when they had pre-bought air time for their national television launch preceding Shark Tank. I don't think they cared too much if the sharks bit or not.
Old 02-22-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the app is moving forward
Old 02-28-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dating card girl: Shouldn't have quit her day job.

Zipit: Were they robots?

Paper Towels: That guy was awesome People should pay him just to pitch their products on infomercials.

Doc? Didn't really follow this as I was on the phone. I didn't get the gist of it.
Old 02-28-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

She had a vibrating device that looks like a bee. Makes shots less painful, especially for kids.
Old 02-28-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

She wanted to get the bee into bigbox stores for home consumer use.

I grew up in a house with 3 kids, now I have 2 of my own... and I have never seen any of us get a shot in the house, thus never needed such a device.

The sharks were correct--she was going after the wrong market. This is for doctors, not parents.
Old 03-01-14, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
She wanted to get the bee into bigbox stores for home consumer use.

I grew up in a house with 3 kids, now I have 2 of my own... and I have never seen any of us get a shot in the house, thus never needed such a device.

The sharks were correct--she was going after the wrong market. This is for doctors, not parents.
As a Pediatrician, I'm a little interested in the product. The problem is that it requires a new ice pack every time and a lot of cooperation in technique. I checked out the website and they want you to use it in conjunction with distraction cards. Honestly, it seems like a lot of extra work and extra time for my already overextended staff. It's way easier to just go ahead and give the shot quick.
Bottom line : I certainly wouldn't mind if a mom wanted to bring in a unit with her own cold ice pack and use it on her kid, but I really don't see the point in even trying to use it in my practice. Way too much extra work for little benefit. I might buy one unit for limited trials (they're available on Amazon), but I think it's more a consumer product than one which is practical for a medical office.
It might be very useful for a Diabetes educator in a hospital, and there's a bigger unit for starting IVs which would be great in a Pediatric ER, but this product just wouldn't work in an office where dozens of shots are given every day.
So I think it might very well be more of a product concerned parents or grandparents buy for their kids.

Last edited by Decker; 03-01-14 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-01-14, 01:02 AM

The first thing I thought of with the zip-it bed is what happens if the house catches on fire and the zipper gets stuck in the bed... All it takes is for it to happen once, and the product is dead.

The Bambooee guy was awesome. Get them an infomercial and they should be rich just on his sales pitch alone.
Old 03-01-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Mr. Bambooee was great.
Old 03-01-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always wondered if the sharks have any say over the edit of products they invested in. I kept waiting for the actual cost of the bambooee paper towel roll, they gave the retail price and that was it. I felt it was out of character for Lori to offer exactly what they wanted. I'm thinking that she did ask for the cost, which was probably around $1-2 per roll, and doesn't want that made public. This way she can run infomercials offering 2 rolls for $19.99, but if you order right now they'll double the offer.
Old 03-01-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
I've always wondered if the sharks have any say over the edit of products they invested in. I kept waiting for the actual cost of the bambooee paper towel roll, they gave the retail price and that was it. I felt it was out of character for Lori to offer exactly what they wanted. I'm thinking that she did ask for the cost, which was probably around $1-2 per roll, and doesn't want that made public. This way she can run infomercials offering 2 rolls for $19.99, but if you order right now they'll double the offer.
I'm almost certain that the sharks who actually invest in a deal get final say over the edit of their business's presentation. This show is a promotional vehicle as much as anything else.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.