Reload this Page >

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Old 01-26-14, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Bad idea. Some of these people come on the show solely for publicity by setting a valuation so astronomical that no one will bite. This will encourage more of that.
I agree, but it does set up a dilemma of sorts, certainly ethical questions at the least. Like Life Caps guy - sorry, I don't believe they'd air his segment if they didn't have the equity. I would certainly hope they wouldn't have, at the very least.

But they need something, and I don't know what that something is. Like, the one that *really* sticks out in my mind is d*****bag Mr. Wires in Jacket patent. Guy had zero intentions of making a deal. Zero.

Likewise? Umm... Where do I sign up to be a producer on this show? How are they awarding the equity? Because god damn, if you've been getting a piece since day 1 of ST? Even of 5% for each company split several ways? You're f***Ing rich. Just two or three of these products take off, out of hundreds now, every one they own a piece of? We're looking at tens, hundreds of millions of dollars. Seriously, where do I sign up for this job?

Here's a nutty idea, that they should've done all along and I can only hope they maybe did do: charity. Screw the 5%, take 10% of every company that comes on. Set up a charitable organization to be the recipient and dole out the money to legitimate non-profits, win, win, win.

Well, lose if you're a producer who was getting disgustingly rich by doing absolutely nothing. Otherwise it's a positive step for the show to take, PR-wise, 'feel good'-wise and weeding out the publicity hound trash.
Old 01-26-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Bad idea. Some of these people come on the show solely for publicity by setting a valuation so astronomical that no one will bite. This will encourage more of that.
I think it does make the producer's job much more difficult. Giving up 5% equity largely eliminated the companies looking for a free, extended television ad. It probably does open up the show to more established companies, where 5% is probably serious money.
Old 01-26-14, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I loved how Cuban tore apart the Life Caps guy.

I could definitely understand why. He claimed he was selling a food supplement in case of disaster, but it was just another "diet" pill. He was naïve to think that anyone would even be remotely interested in investing in something that you have to ingest that claims some kind of nutritional value.

at him calling Lori Barbara.

As for the women selling the baby shoes. Yeah her product is really expensive, mainly because she manufactures it stateside. I think she alluded that she wanted to get a deal to get it manufactured overseas (probably in China) and help reduce cost and reduce the price point. Daymond was definitely the right guy to help her with that.

I liked the personality of the FitDeck guy and he has a tremendous resume, but there is no way to mass market that product. Most people are already extremely lazy when it comes to exercise and buying a deck of cards isn't going to entice someone to exercise more.
Five years ago, FitDeck was an economically feasible product - hell, look at the sales he's had so far! Unbelievable. This is a category, and product, decimated by the move to mobile apps. Now any script kiddy can release something similar and undercut you, altering the exercises slightly. There are a million free alternatives on websites to boot. Any other time in human history, the guy might've had something to make a few bucks off of; going on a show in 2014 with a deck of cards for exercises makes me question his sanity.

Because his product, even starting as FitDeck, should be 110% mobile app today. You can do animations, customize exercises for an individual, allow them to keep track of what they've done (I did 20 ****s. Input that, phone shows you burned so many calories, or strengthened your **** muscles by 50% of your daily goal... whatever) and a million other user-specific, interactive and informative features only offered through software.

Still, even a guy who appears clueless given the above... with that resume? I'm shocked one of them didn't make some kind of deal just to get him. Unless there's some truly horrific black mark in his file we don't know about, that guy has to have one of the most sought after resumes of anyone on the *planet*. Two Ivy Leagues for business, Goldman Sachs, *and* a freaking Marine? ....... FitDeck might show only that he needs guidance, a firm and focused brain to work under, but I've no doubt that guy's almost a blank check for his ability to make someone money... You just don't get the credentials he has by not being an economic savant.
Old 01-26-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

The show can probably afford to give up the equity requirement given that the ratings are now strong. Not many people watched it when it started, but it could survive because of that requirement and was likely very cheap to produce (thus a cheap buy for ABC). I remember that there was a long hiatus at one point and people wondered if it would be back.
Old 01-26-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Here's a nutty idea, that they should've done all along and I can only hope they maybe did do: charity. Screw the 5%, take 10% of every company that comes on. Set up a charitable organization to be the recipient and dole out the money to legitimate non-profits, win, win, win.
That's a good idea. I don't think the idea behind extracting the equity ever was that the show/ABC needed a kickback to stay alive. I think it always was intended to keep pitchers honest.
I think it's needed more now than before, if the show has become so popular, because now an entrepreneur can come on with the mindset of refusing any deal and get 10 minutes of free advertising on a show watched by millions of people.
Old 01-26-14, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The show can probably afford to give up the equity requirement given that the ratings are now strong. Not many people watched it when it started, but it could survive because of that requirement and was likely very cheap to produce (thus a cheap buy for ABC). I remember that there was a long hiatus at one point and people wondered if it would be back.
Huh? Give up the equity requirement *now*? Huh?

That's the absolute opposite - now the show has such a wide viewership that companies *will* give up equity just for the millions of pairs of eyes they receive.

The more viewers the show has, the bigger the problem they have by companies coming on not for the Sharks, but for the viewers. Fewer viewers, the sharks were the more valuable commodity. Now, it's the free 15 minute infomercial viewed by millions and millions of people.

No equity, people come on and say "Hey, I want ten meeeeeelion dollars... for a 1% stake in my doggy hat boutique! I want to use it to expand into the crazily profitable zoological headwear industry! Imagine - elephants wearing fez! Hello, license to print money!"

What's to stop that? The producers screen in advance, demanding to know the deal the company seeks? Then these people will price it *just* over what they know a reasonable, savvy investory would pay. Or they just look like a total ass, fumbling and mumbling to scare everyone in the Tank off.

Bottom line, if I had a new to market consumer product today, I'd be camped outside Shark Tank studios. Not for the Sharks, but for the eyes. Those eyes are more valuable than *anything*, especially today! DVR = commercial skipping, you literally cannot find what the Tank offers anywhere else... period. Even more, and I'm sure this has happened several times, but someone else with deep pockets watches the show and goes, "Whoa, incredible. Fits perfectly with what I can do. *ring ring* hey, saw you on Shark Tank, how's ten meeelion dollars for Doggy Snoggies sound?"

Or even just an acquisitions, HR, or somebody working for a major corporation who sees something someone has a patent for something that'll work perfectly with what they make (and/or otherwise compete with said big corporation's own product) therefore purchasing it outright due entirely to Shark Tank.

Bottom line, now especially, the Sharks are *not* the key resource this show offers. Not hardly, particularly given the fact that yes, while they are all relatively successful, they aren't *true* big wigs. I'm sure in business there's a laundry list of other names with deeper pockets, greater experience and expertise, and a larger support base for growing investments than those six. One guy got rich by being absurdly lucky in the dot.com boom, but Broadcast.com wasn't exactly the brilliant idea Amazon, eBay, Microsoft, etc. all were. Worse still, despite being just about the first out of the gate for HD content, he's never been able to do anything with HDNet that would give me much faith - now it's floundering as AXS.tv, rebranded to offer stuff that online connectivity has rendered outdated in music and making concerts and comedy club experiences available in the comfort of home.

One dude made educational games and sold out to absolute idiots for a sickening amount more than it was worth, and said company proved to be DoA and a huge loss of money. In fact, the deal that made him rich is viewed today as one of the worst, most disastrous acquisitions in business history! Robert's company had all of three employees as recently as 2003... Cool guy, seems quite intelligent and nice, but not exactly a Steve Jobs or Donald Trump. You've got a pretty face from QVC. Barbara is real estate, a dime a dozen, and she isn't even a leader/titan in her own industry.

Damon is probably the one I'd say is the absolute best in all regards - intelligence, business acumen, contacts and resources, industry titan, etc.

Add to the fact that they've now all invested in soooooooo many companies? They have finite time, every company they become an investor in dilutes what they bring to the table. Meaning that the longer the show continues, the less these Sharks are worth to entrepreneurs. If anything, at this point, they should probably begin rotating in a new set of Sharks for precisely that reason. Me? I came on to the show tomorrow, made a deal with soandso, and I would expect I'd be lucky to directly hear from them twice a year when they've got 80 other desperate fools identical to me begging at their door.

Last edited by Coladar1; 01-26-14 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-27-14, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the more unique sightings on this show from the past episode, the failing Daisy Cake business in an update. They actually went over the problems it had over the past year, citing poor quality control with a new manufacturer.
Old 01-27-14, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'm surprised no one has mentioned one of the more unique sightings on this show from the past episode, the failing Daisy Cake business in an update. They actually went over the problems it had over the past year, citing poor quality control with a new manufacturer.
Yes, I was surprised to see that update. I was also surprised to see that Barbara is still helping her out. I would assume that if the business is a failure, the sharks would bolt. Good to see Barbara is helping her through bad times as well.
Old 01-27-14, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Yes, I was surprised to see that update. I was also surprised to see that Barbara is still helping her out. I would assume that if the business is a failure, the sharks would bolt. Good to see Barbara is helping her through bad times as well.
They said even after all the trouble with the business, they were still projecting 3 million dollars in sales. I just went back and it seems Barbara invested only $50k and she got 25% of the company plus $1 for every cake until she got back her 50k. So, I'm pretty sure this is one of Barbara's successful businesses even if it went through some bad decisions.
Old 01-27-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

They don't have to put on the air every product that comes in. So if they feel the product didn't come in there honestly, just don't air the segment.
Old 01-27-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't understand the UV Protection bathing suits and why that'll be a successful business. I did like the woman though. I think she had good drive and will do her best. Her husband is a dope though and she also fucked the whole thing up by listening to him. Good thing she didn't.

The weight loss pill was a joke. Too bad the Shark Tank effect will help him sell his product. It was good to see Mark get on him for it, hopefully that'll sway some people that are thinking of giving it a shot.

I liked the woman with the baby shoes. They were very pricey but they were selling. I don't know how much kid shoes typically cost but with Daymond's help she should be able to drop that significantly. I loved her story. She is the new American Dream, personified.... work your butt off so you can get on reality TV.
Old 01-27-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
my wife checked them out. $40 for a cake and $40 for shipping here to AZ. who the fuck is going to pay $80 for a god damned cake? i could get a super nice bakery here to make me one for about $50.
Old 01-27-14, 04:10 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
my wife checked them out. $40 for a cake and $40 for shipping here to AZ. who the fuck is going to pay $80 for a god damned cake? i could get a super nice bakery here to make me one for about $50.
What if you want the cake for a gay wedding?
Old 01-27-14, 06:12 PM

Definitely, mad props to Lori (Magic pills make me brain work real gooder!) for sticking with them through thick and thin. Way more than merely sticking by them and continuing to help though, she actually showed up in person. Most updates now, seems the Shark can only be bothered with video chatting, yet Barbara actually went out of her way to that small town herself.

There was also the update shown a while back where Barbara had hosted a getaway at her vacation home for a few of the companies she's invested in, which seemed really awesome of her. At this point, if one went on the show and was looking for an interested, actively supportive and helpful Shark, Barbara seems like the absolute best and most involved by far, hands down. As I said, most others have recently only bothered with Skype calls when filming their update segments, at least unless the people came to or were based in New York or LA.
Old 01-28-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

cubes gets crazy when he sees any diet pills or energy drink claims... its fun to see his eye rolls..
Old 01-28-14, 09:55 AM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

The "wonderful" Kevin O'Leary:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U79DoiC49r0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That definitely changes how I understand him when I watch the show now.

So here's a question: let's say I find that video to be an example of deplorable human behavior so I want nothing to do with Kevin O'Leary. Then I invent something and I go on Shark Tank because I want a deal. What's the best way to avoid Kevin based on the above reasons without having the whole show collapse on top of me, I wonder.
Old 01-28-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Same way everyone else avoids him: by taking someone else's deal or saying 'no thank you'.
Old 01-28-14, 10:01 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I love him even more after watching that video.
Old 01-28-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TGM
I love him even more after watching that video.
Old 01-28-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Ugh.
Old 01-29-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone remember the episode with the guy with the nose plugs? The one that he said he sold a million units to the UAE? Does anyone know what ever happened to that guy or product. I think he made a big mistake turning down 4.00 million for 100% stake in the company and 10% royalty.
Old 01-31-14, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume Steve Tisch was on for some Superbowl flavor. He did get kicked to the curb on that last deal
Old 01-31-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Anyone remember the episode with the guy with the nose plugs? The one that he said he sold a million units to the UAE? Does anyone know what ever happened to that guy or product. I think he made a big mistake turning down 4.00 million for 100% stake in the company and 10% royalty.
Cnbc did an interview with him if you google first defense nasal. Seems like he is doing fine.
Old 01-31-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i saw that phone app on one of the tech sites a few months ago.
Old 02-01-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk God

I have zero interest in that app, but damn, that's pretty fucking cool. Gotta love science.

Cereal milk. But I love the eye candy that dude brought in with him.

I wonder how many calories are in one spoonful of that cookie dough. By the look of that partner, it looks like she's had a lot of spoonfuls.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.