DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   AMC Developing The Walking Dead Spin-Off - FEAR THE WALKING DEAD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613518-amc-developing-walking-dead-spin-off-fear-walking-dead.html)

dex14 09-16-13 10:27 AM

AMC Developing The Walking Dead Spin-Off - FEAR THE WALKING DEAD

AMC announced Monday that it is in the early stages of developing a Walking Dead “companion series” — aka spinoff — to launch in 2015.

AMC announced today that the network is in the initial stages of developing a companion series to its original drama series The Walking Dead, which premiered on AMC in October of 2010. The Walking Dead is currently the #1 show on television among adults 18-49. Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert are on board as executive producers, with AMC Studios set to produce. The companion series has a target on-air date of 2015.

“Building on the success of the most popular show on television for adults 18-49 is literally a no-brainer,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president and general manager. “We look forward to working with Robert, Gale and Dave again as we develop an entirely new story and cast of characters. It’s a big world and we can’t wait to give fans another unforgettable view of the zombie apocalypse.”

“After 10 years of writing the comic book series and being so close to the debut of our fourth, and in my opinion, best season of the TV series, I couldn’t be more thrilled about getting the chance to create a new corner of The Walking Dead universe,” said Kirkman. “The opportunity to make a show that isn’t tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing.”

In addition to Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Hell on Wheels and Low Winter Sun, AMC recently greenlit two new drama series for 2014,Halt & Catch Fire and Turn. The network today began shooting a new pilot, Line Of Sight, directed and executive produced by Jonathan Demme, and has a licensing agreement with Sony Pictures Television for a spinoff series of Vince Gilligan’s landmarkBreaking Bad, based on the Saul Goodman lawyer character with the working title Better Call Saul.

Season four of The Walking Dead returns to AMC on October 13. The Walking Dead is based on the comic book series created and written by Robert Kirkman and published by Skybound, Kirkman’s imprint at Image Comics.

The Walking Dead season three out-delivered everything on television including The Big Bang Theory, The Voice, Game of Thrones, Modern Family, and almost doubled The Bible for the broadcast season for adults 18-49.

Dragon Tattoo 09-16-13 10:28 AM

Re: AMC Developing Walking Dead Spin-Off

Ugh.

Geofferson 09-16-13 10:31 AM

Of course they are.

Krayzie 09-16-13 10:32 AM

Walking Dead: Los Angeles starring LL Cool J. They can play "mama said knock you out" while he kills zombies.

bluetoast 09-16-13 10:35 AM

It's hilarious reading Kirkman's dressed up press statements as compared to his casual shit when he's in the letters section of the comics.

TGM 09-16-13 10:49 AM

I like it.

dvdjunkie32 09-16-13 10:57 AM

TWD is a gold mine for them. They can create endless storylines and spin offs in this world. It's no surprise that they are trying to get more mileage out of TWD and Breaking Bad. Despite heavy promotion and sandwiching it between Breaking Bad and Talking Bad, Low Winter Sun has been a major dud.

Jason 09-16-13 11:00 AM

I hope it's a prequel about Andrea's life as a single female lawyer.

DaveyJoe 09-16-13 11:01 AM

Hey maybe this time they can give us some characters we give a shit about.

DeputyDave 09-16-13 11:03 AM

Good news. TWD may not be the best show on TV but it is the best ZOMBIE show on TV. Complain about it all you want but I love zombie movies and TWD is even miles better than 95% of the zombie movies out there.

stingermck 09-16-13 11:04 AM

And this is how The Walking Dead ends. Over saturation.

I look forward to the Daryl crossover when they need a ratings boost. Maybe the ghost of Merle too

SuckaMC 09-16-13 11:08 AM

This is bad ass. I hope since that its already proved to be popular, they will up the scale and start from the beginning. I want to see New York or Houston fall.

Zombies!!! So Excited!!!!

If you don't like it , don't watch it.

BuckNaked2k 09-16-13 11:50 AM

Bring back Andrea's little sister from Season 1. That hottie was gone too soon.

Hokeyboy 09-16-13 12:05 PM

Make it a 70s-style "variety" show and I'm IN... as long as Tim Conway's there, that is.

fumanstan 09-16-13 12:08 PM

Sounds good to me, I don't mind seeing something in the world that's completely separate from the comics, as much as the current show already is.

superdeluxe 09-16-13 12:14 PM

They should have just done a spinoff of the one character that saved Rick's life in the first episode.

Michael Corvin 09-16-13 12:40 PM

Maybe they can air this the same night as the Heroes spin-off.

MoviePage 09-16-13 01:11 PM

On the plus side, the threads for this one won't be full of spoilers.

bluetoast 09-16-13 01:14 PM

But the bitching about spoilers will still spill over into those threads no doubt.

arminius 09-16-13 01:30 PM

I'd like to see other countries too. We never really see that though WWZ did a bit. It would be interesting to see how other nations ended up.

PhantomStranger 09-16-13 01:34 PM

I suspect it will be set in a different part of the country, probably the West Coast. I don't mind this development, AMC would be foolish not exploiting their biggest hit.

Dragon Tattoo 09-16-13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave (Post 11836602)
TWD may not be the best show on TV but it is the best ZOMBIE show on TV. .

So in a field of one it's the best.

And yet, still the worst.

JasonF 09-16-13 03:42 PM

The opportunity to make a show that isn’t tethered by the events of the comic book, and is truly a blank page, has set my creativity racing.
Thank god. I'm sick of the way they slavishly follow every little aspect of the comic book's continuity.

riley_dude 09-16-13 04:19 PM

Another show about Zombies but in a new location?
Oh come on.

SuckaMC 09-16-13 04:48 PM

I fully expect that a new zombie show made by the same team as Walking Dead will still have threads containing complainants about how shitty it is from the same folks complaining now. Here's a chance NOT to watch, instead of being "stuck watching it till the end... in case it gets better" Hahaha.

I really hope they start from the beginning.