TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sleepy Hollow -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/16/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Sleepy Hollow -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/16/13

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not really. It's fun but it doesn't feel like a prestige show which Hannibal often does (despite it not really being one itself.)
Not really? I'd say absolutely not at all

This is a stupid and silly show that knows it's stupid and silly and therefore has fun with it.
Old 09-19-13, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gunde
This is a stupid and silly show that knows it's stupid and silly and therefore has fun with it.
Exactly, and that's why I enjoyed it quite a bit.
Old 09-19-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I enjoyed the pilot and am in for more episodes.

Once I saw they got John Cho, I figured there was no way he would last the episode. Though I guess with this show, who knows who's going to stay dead?

Normally I don't watch previews of the rest of the season, but this one came on during the credits so I sat and watched it.
Spoiler:
I hate the thought that I probably spoiled the appearance of all Four Horsemen, but they looked totally badass.
Old 09-19-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

This pilot was a horrible disappointment for me. This is a show made for fans of Grimm and the awful Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie. A confused blend of differing mythologies (Christian eschatology, "good" witchcraft, the legend of Sleepy Hollow) and a show seemingly crafted by committee. Fox does seem to like it, they threw money at both John Cho and Clancy Brown to make brief appearances, not to mention paying out extra to license the Rolling Stones' Sympathy For The Devil. This show would have fit better on a network like the CW.

I tend to give most fantasy and sci-fi material extended looks but Sleepy Hollow has already been deleted from my DVR for good.
Old 09-19-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

When did John Cho become a luxury actor? Dude was on a Matthew Perry sitcom all last season.

Also, did anyone know that dude was 41?
Old 09-20-13, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I enjoyed it. I was also coming here to see how many episodes it was intending to have and happy to see it's getting a thirteen episode order as I prefer more condensed stories these days depending on the show. It allows one to have two different shows that take up almost the same space of one normal run show.

It was entertaining and anything too long would just feel dragged out unless it surprises me.
Old 09-20-13, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did enjoy the first episode, it really looks like it is going to get overly complicated. They really jumped in to things and they could have drawn things out more. This first couple episodes could have been with the 3 main characters then start introducing the demons and other things later on.
Old 09-20-13, 12:14 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Fringe star John Noble is reuniting with Fox and the series’ co-creators Alex Kurtzman and Bob Orci. Noble is set for a major recurring role on Fox’s new drama series Sleepy Hollow, co-created/executive produced by Kurtzman and Orci. He will appear later in the season as Henry Parrish, a kind and reclusive man who possesses supernatural powers that have the potential to help the series’ protagonist, Ichabod Crane (Tom Mison). The news comes on the heels of a strong premiere for Sleepy Hollow, which posted Fox’s biggest opening for a fall drama series in 7 years with 10.1 million viewers and a 3.3 in 18-49. Noble, who was a fan favorite for his portrayal of eccentric scientist Walter Bishop on Fringe, will also be reprising his role on The Good Wife next season as Matthew Ashbaugh, Alicia’s (Julianna Magulies) very rich, eccentric client who was murdered.He is repped by Seven Summits Management and Coast to Coast Talent.
Old 09-20-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Great news about John Noble. For me the fact that Fringe was on for 5 seasons and he doesn't have five Emmy wins shows how stupid awards are.
Old 09-20-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

John Noble

Old 09-20-13, 10:32 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Don't any of you guys watch Grimm? It seemed very much like a Grimm wannabe to me (not that that's a bad thing). I kinda liked it.

One thing that bugged me was why they didn't make Ichabod change out of his Revolutionary War dress in the metal institution? So is he going to be wearing it for the whole series?

Last edited by Eric F; 09-20-13 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm mixed on this. First episode was well shot, main actors were good. Premise is OK, but I'm not sure if it will hold up going forward. I liked the Crane character, but the rushed nature of a pilot episode didn't give him enough room to breath. The cameo's seemed largely wasted. Brown had the one good diner scene and Cho didn't bring anything to the role.

I might check out the second ep.
Old 09-21-13, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Don't any of you guys watch Grimm? It seemed very much like a Grimm wannabe to me (not that that's a bad thing). I kinda liked it.
I do watch Grimm and really never thought about it until now.

Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm mixed on this. First episode was well shot, main actors were good. Premise is OK, but I'm not sure if it will hold up going forward.
Hold up for more then a limited number of episodes?
Old 09-21-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah these pilots always get known directors to do them now and establish the look. This one was done by Len Wiseman (Underworld, Live Free/Die Hard).

This one had a Live+3 of a 5.0 in the demo and 13.2m overall, since they consider that the same as "same day" from a decade ago, it's more or less the highest rated scripted premiere on Fox since 24 in 2001. It had a same day/live rating of 3.5 with 10.10m viewers. That's huge for fox.
Old 09-22-13, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! The Following has gotten torpedoed because of that show's alleged silliness and huge plot holes. Sleepy Hollow is heavily embraced all around the internet, and it has LOADS of silliness and huge plot holes. I watched this and found there was a great deal to nitpick about if I were into nitpicking TV shows. I also don't see this lasting, certainly not on FOX.

Last edited by Frederic; 09-22-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-22-13, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So why exactly were so many shots framed to cut off the top of people's heads, and why was the blue and red light appearing as a cluster on my screen? Either a professional cinematographer did a very poor job, or my $300 HDTV is particularly unimpressive. I'm about halfway through the pilot, and the screenwriting is much harder to excuse, I'm pretty unimpressed so far. I have to get the Blu-Ray version of the Tim Burton movie one of these days.
Old 09-22-13, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Watched it. I liked it, but I don't think it was quite worthy of the praise everyone here is heaping on it. Some good stuff, but some awful stuff as well. The female cop was going to the FBI but is now staying on the force? Really? Could we be more cliche?

Having said that, the tone of the show really reminds me of Fringe. The music, the way it is show. I can see the Fringe influences. I'll probably keep watching since it is a short season.
Old 09-22-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Frederic
WOW! The Following has gotten torpedoed because of that show's alleged silliness and huge plot holes. Sleepy Hollow is heavily embraced all around the internet, and it has LOADS of silliness and huge plot holes. I watched this and found there was a great deal to nitpick about if I were into nitpicking TV shows. I also don't see this lasting, certainly not on FOX.
One's based in the world of reality. The other is The Following.

Being serious now, fantasy and sci-fi shows always get more latitude. By there very nature they ask the view to suspense belief. It's part of the genre. Shows like The Following and even 24 (in some latter seasons) can only expect viewers to push plausibility so far. After awhile it becauses insulting to the viewer.
Old 09-22-13, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kdogg
One's based in the world of reality. The other is The Following.

Being serious now, fantasy and sci-fi shows always get more latitude. By there very nature they ask the view to suspense belief. It's part of the genre. Shows like The Following and even 24 (in some latter seasons) can only expect viewers to push plausibility so far. After awhile it becauses insulting to the viewer.
Facetiousness just proves my point. Thanks! Unlike The Following, THIS will not last!
Old 09-22-13, 03:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Facetiousness just proves my point. Thanks! Unlike The Following, THIS will not last!
Yeah, a show like this will NEVER have staying power.

Excuse me while I go watch Season 9 of Supernatural.
Old 09-22-13, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Not on FOX! But you already know that, don't you? Oh, and you're excused by the way.
Excuse me, Fringe lasted 5 years and that show was produced by a different studio and never had good ratings.

This show is produced in house by FOX. It's premature to speculate how long this show will last. The 1st episode's ratings were obviously solid. But, let's wait and see how it does with more competition.
Old 09-22-13, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Clancy Brown only seemed present so they could have a little inside joke.
Yeah, I got that too. It wasn't the first time he lost his head. Maybe Michael Ironside could make an appearance on a future episode.
Old 09-22-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
This show is produced in house by FOX. It's premature to speculate how long this show will last. The 1st episode's ratings were obviously solid. But, let's wait and see how it does with more competition.
I did not realize Fox was producing it. It makes much more sense now, why they keep pulling in all these big names for a third-rate, serialized fantasy show. Ratings will really have to crater to miss renewal. The Fox execs are just itching to renew it.
Old 09-22-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

I just watched the pilot tonight. Really well done. Len Wiseman did a good job overall, even if I feel it should have been a Johnny Cash song during the end.

I have no clue how they could make this a regular series while keeping the momentum of the pilot, however. Let's hope the rest of the series lives up to it and knows just when to quit.
Old 09-23-13, 11:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlyger
Yeah, I got that too. It wasn't the first time he lost his head. Maybe Michael Ironside could make an appearance on a future episode.
Add Christopher Lambert and Adrian Paul (what is he up to these days?) for SnGs ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.