Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sleepy Hollow -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/16/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Sleepy Hollow -- Series Premiere -- "Pilot" -- 9/16/13

Many things about the show reminded me of Dark Shadows.
Old 09-17-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I enjoyed it. See what I think after next week. Stay tuned.
Old 09-17-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

10.1M viewers and 3.5 after final ratings.

Next week The Voice returns and 2 Broke Girls/Mom premiere.
Old 09-17-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Haven't seen this yet but is it supposed to be like Hannibal in that it's a "premium" type show on a network?
Not really. It's fun but it doesn't feel like a prestige show which Hannibal often does (despite it not really being one itself.)
Old 09-17-13, 06:44 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Now that's how you kick off a new, fun, crazy show!
Old 09-17-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Really enjoyed the pilot. I'll be sticking around.
Old 09-17-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
10.1M viewers and 3.5 after final ratings.

Next week The Voice returns and 2 Broke Girls/Mom premiere.
Glad to see it did decent. I enjoyed it, but I see this being one of those heavily DVR'd shows. Hopefully Fox realizes that just because people don't watch live doesn't mean it's without fans.

(Like Fox ever uses that kind of logic).

This has an interesting premise, but I don't see it coming anywhere near to sustaining for what has apparently been set up for a 7 year story arc. This looks like it's going to have a lot of inspiration from the Millenium series.
Old 09-17-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fox gets a bad wrap, they don't take highly rated shows and cancel them. They actually are the most lenient with ratings in terms of cancellation.

They did for a long time move shit around too much and re-arranged episodes for no reason, that was just stupid. They all pay attention to Live+3 and Live+7 ratings.
Old 09-17-13, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
Fox gets a bad wrap....
Spoiler:
Old 09-18-13, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Liked it a lot. Loved the inside joke with the sheriff's cameo. Production values were very high and it established a good mythology base very quickly. The demon was creepy and effective at the end.
Old 09-18-13, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't even realize they were making this show just saw a preview randomly on imdb and decided to check it out. I was like well ok it has John Cho and Clancy Brown this might be pretty good ... ... ...

The premise and pilot were pretty good, however, this is definitely one of those shows where you know they are going to drag it out and do horrible unnecessary story lines to lengthen the series which may kill it.
Old 09-18-13, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Many things about the show reminded me of Dark Shadows.
I was thinking the same thing. Not only did they use the same trick of Crane walking onto the paved road but when I saw the wide shot with the train I half expected Nights in White Satin to start playing, only we get the Rolling Stones this time.

I was not overly impressed with the pilot mainly for Wiseman's heavy handed direction. Everything felt rushed with no suspense and moments that should have had great impact like Crane's awakening in the present, his discovery of his wife's grave are so casually treated it's like they just want to keep moving to the next action beat for fear of boring the audience.

It also feels too derivative. A little bit of The Crow, some X-Files, a little National Treasure, Burton's Dark Shadows and Sleepy Hollow. I prefer the Hessian and Crane in his version.

I might stick with it for a few eps and see if it improves but on the whole it didn't thrill me.
Old 09-18-13, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by philo
I was thinking the same thing. Not only did they use the same trick of Crane walking onto the paved road but when I saw the wide shot with the train I half expected Nights in White Satin to start playing, only we get the Rolling Stones this time.

I was not overly impressed with the pilot mainly for Wiseman's heavy handed direction. Everything felt rushed with no suspense and moments that should have had great impact like Crane's awakening in the present, his discovery of his wife's grave are so casually treated it's like they just want to keep moving to the next action beat for fear of boring the audience.

It also feels too derivative. A little bit of The Crow, some X-Files, a little National Treasure, Burton's Dark Shadows and Sleepy Hollow. I prefer the Hessian and Crane in his version.

I might stick with it for a few eps and see if it improves but on the whole it didn't thrill me.
Actually, it's the classic Dark Shadows I was reminded of.
Old 09-18-13, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I enjoyed it and found it on par with my expectations. I will definitely see how the 13 ep order turns out.

Guess we'll have a case of the week from the Sheriff's files with some weekly mythology sprinkled in. I hope we see more comprehensive flashbacks as I enjoyed those.

I wonder if the "priest" was awakened recently or had been around the town for 250 years. He was clearly freaked out seeing Crane, since he knew that meant the horseman was back.
Old 09-18-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Spoiler:
Yeah, they aired it out of order (which is always stupid) and kept moving the night to find a timeslot where it would gain some traction.

Unfortunately the series premiered on a Friday, had mixed critical reception, and only pulled about 4.3m households, a few episodes in (still on Friday) that had dropped to 2.84m households and a 1.9 in 18 - 49. For 2002, it's lucky it stayed on as long as it did. For 2013, 1.9 is a decent enough to get you a second season.

So ratings wise, Fox gave it more than a fair shake, they just did everything in their power to prevent it from getting higher ratings.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-18-13 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I liked it more than I expected. I can forgive the quickness of Crane's acclimation of his new surroundings (cars didn't seem to be fascinating, but power windows are?) in favor of the vibe.

I hope future eps maintain the production values. I'm in until it breaks bad or gets canceled (this is Fox after all).....

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-18-13 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-18-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superman07
I enjoyed it and found it on par with my expectations. I will definitely see how the 13 ep order turns out.

Guess we'll have a case of the week from the Sheriff's files with some weekly mythology sprinkled in. I hope we see more comprehensive flashbacks as I enjoyed those.

I wonder if the "priest" was awakened recently or had been around the town for 250 years. He was clearly freaked out seeing Crane, since he knew that meant the horseman was back.
I'm wondering if modern characters have a colonial counterpart. In flashbacks an actor could play his/her ancestor. Since were're dealing with witchcraft and demons almost anything is possible, werewolves, time hopping, etc.
Old 09-18-13, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'm wondering if modern characters have a colonial counterpart. In flashbacks an actor could play his/her ancestor. Since were're dealing with witchcraft and demons almost anything is possible, werewolves, time hopping, etc.
Well it seems the mythology setup would allow for just about anything to happen - and still have it fit within the established premise constructs.
Old 09-18-13, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Fox gets a bad wrap, they don't take highly rated shows and cancel them. They actually are the most lenient with ratings in terms of cancellation.

They did for a long time move shit around too much and re-arranged episodes for no reason, that was just stupid. They all pay attention to Live+3 and Live+7 ratings.
Fox had been pretty bad for years on canning shows quickly. I think one Season the only show to make it out of it's freshman year was Raising Hope. Bones, New Girl, Raising Hope and Glee are really the only shows the network has had one for a few years (besides the animated stuff). Everything else is new!

Lately all networks have been more patient as they simply don't have enough back-up shows to slap into place. How long did Fox keep Mob Doctor around where the year or two before Lone something was pulled after 2 episodes?
Old 09-18-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked the production values. Both the Horseman and demon designs were excellent. Priest v. horseman reminded me of Dead/Alive which was hilarious to see on primetime TV. They should have kept Clancy Brown around.

Other than that, this was non-challenging TV fare. Not perfect, not terrible. I'll watch next week.
Old 09-18-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Still, they aren't all that quick to cancel compared to other networks and will accept mediocre numbers for renewals more easily than most networks.

Lonestar (2010, the "only Raising Hope and Bob's Burgers" survive season), had plenty of advertising, was critically acclaimed and followed House - Fox's then biggest scripted show with 3.6 - 3.8 ratings regularly - it pulled a 1.3 on its debut, and then a 1.0 on its second episode (dropped a good bit in it's 2nd half hour which is a generally a kiss of death). They were wasting the post-House spot when a re-run of House would pull double that. Mobbed, Running Wilde, Traffic Light, and Million Dollar Money Drop were destined for cancellation from the get go.

The Good Guys survived with a 0.6 for a while by being on Friday. They kept renewing Fringe despite horrible ratings as well.
Old 09-18-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Clancy Brown only seemed present so they could have a little inside joke.
Old 09-18-13, 06:20 PM

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Fox had been pretty bad for years on canning shows quickly. I think one Season the only show to make it out of it's freshman year was Raising Hope. Bones, New Girl, Raising Hope and Glee are really the only shows the network has had one for a few years (besides the animated stuff). Everything else is new!

Lately all networks have been more patient as they simply don't have enough back-up shows to slap into place. How long did Fox keep Mob Doctor around where the year or two before Lone something was pulled after 2 episodes?
You really can't predict how Fox will react to a show with mediocre to low ratings. For every Firefly or John Doe that's cancelled they let through a Human Target or Sarah Connor or Dollhouse. They are not as mercenary as CBS where numbers are numbers.
Old 09-18-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo

Fox canceled Mob Doctor after 1 season but aired all 13 episodes. Fox had little choice but to air this failed series because really they had nothing else to replace it until midseason with The Following. X Factor took up so many slots that Fox didn't have enough shows to repeat to fill in the gaps.
Old 09-19-13, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Looking forward to more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.