Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

Old 08-07-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Tyrant (S1E07) -- "Preventative Medicine" -- 8/05/14

I think he showed too much weakness to her and in his mind, felt the need to reassert his power.
Old 08-08-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Seems like the sister in law is running from some major crime.
I guess the wife's personality makes more sense now, given her flighty sister. The sister will almost assuredly be some kind of plot device to put Barry in a terrible position. Maybe she starts sleeping with Jamal?
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
What was Jamal's point in killing the mistress? Seems like he had a nice, long-term thing with her as a side piece.
He's a homicidal maniac and thought she might tell someone about his plans to leave the Presidency behind. It didn't come as much of a shock to me, Jamal looks like he wants to murder someone in just about every other scene.
Old 08-08-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Jamal looks like he wants to murder someone in just about every other scene.
so true!
Old 08-12-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tyrant (S1E08) -- "Meet the New Boss" -- 8/12/14

Episode 8 / Production #107 - "Meet the New Boss" (Airs August 12, 10:00 pm e/p) - Fed up with Jamal's unpredictable and violent nature, Barry conspires to start a coup and remove his brother from office; while at the same time Jamal is so moved by Barry's willingness to do the unthinkable and hasten Sheik Rashid's demise, that he stops at nothing to prove his worth to his brother. Written by David Matthews; directed by Charlotte Sieling.

Episode 8 of 10

FYI, the next 2 episodes starting next week were shot in Istanbul, Turkey. There will probably be a noticeable difference with the look of the show.
Old 08-13-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: Tyrant (S1E08) -- "Meet the New Boss" -- 8/12/14

I know they're trying and I want to enjoy it.. But man, is this just falling so short on being anything.
Old 08-13-14, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Send the wife and kids back to the U.S. permanently. Or give them the Poochie treatment.
Old 08-13-14, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Show would definitely be enhanced by a boobie or two, but FX won't quite go there yet.

I like it though. Not the strongest show on television but the premise is strong. Barry's motivations still seem a bit weak though.
Old 08-13-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, I'm really digging this show... so much more than The Americans. I didn't see the coup coming this season though... I thought they'd set up S2 for that type of fireworks show. The family is definitely a weak point so I'm hoping that one or all of Barry's family gets killed and puts Barry on the same path as Jamal.
Old 08-13-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a feeling that Jamal is going to get killed. Which would be a shame because I love that character.
Old 08-13-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
I have a feeling that Jamal is going to get killed. Which would be a shame because I love that character.
"Jamal" was in 300: Rise of an Empire... both the wife and I were like "cool, Jamal!"... five seconds later - DEAD
Old 08-14-14, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this episode a lot with Barry plotting to overthrow his own brother. Barry's wife is dumber than ever, they should have never made her character a doctor and given her some of those lines. They've spent so much time on Jamal and his daughter-in-law that I have to believe she snaps and attempts to take him out herself.
Old 08-14-14, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Send the wife and kids back to the U.S. permanently. Or give them the Poochie treatment.
I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I hope not. Besides staring at this smokin' wife on the show he's easily the best character. If they off him I'd easily drop the show.
Old 08-14-14, 09:44 AM

Anyone hearing any buzz on the renewal status of this? At this point, I'm not expecting it to return -- I assume the change in shooting location didn't help costs any. Guess it depends if they're given the green light to return filming to Israel. Just seems like a lot of risk for a marginally successful show.
Old 08-14-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Anyone hearing any buzz on the renewal status of this? At this point, I'm not expecting it to return -- I assume the change in shooting location didn't help costs any. Guess it depends if they're given the green light to return filming to Israel. Just seems like a lot of risk for a marginally successful show.
A lot of these short-run scripted programs on the better cable channels have built-in renewals for at least one season unless the ratings absolutely crater. Given the niche audiences they command, most cable channels realize it might take a while on streaming and other sources (torrents and DVR) for a show to gain a following. That is why it's so funny when they "announce" a show is getting renewed during its first season. Most channels aren't even canceling disasters like Helix now after one season.
Old 08-14-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of these short-run scripted programs on the better cable channels have built-in renewals for at least one season unless the ratings absolutely crater. Given the niche audiences they command, most cable channels realize it might take a while on streaming and other sources (torrents and DVR) for a show to gain a following. That is why it's so funny when they "announce" a show is getting renewed during its first season. Most channels aren't even canceling disasters like Helix now after one season.
Going back to the 1990's and early 2000's, how common were cable network clunkers renewed ?
Old 08-14-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Going back to the 1990's and early 2000's, how common were cable network clunkers renewed ?
That's an interesting question I'm not fully prepared to answer. It was such a different television environment and the economics were so much different before streaming and DVRs.

I think Tyrant has already been renewed by FX behind the scenes, as long as the ratings have stabilized from its premiere.
Old 08-19-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tyrant (S1E09) -- "Gaslight" -- 8/19/14

Episode 9 / Production #108 - "Gaslight" (Airs August 19, 10:00 pm e/p) - As the plans for the coup continue to take shape, Jamal proves how far he will go to punish those who oppose him, and Barry's relationship with Molly is pushed to the limit after she learns of the repercussions that await their family. Story by: Chris Levinson, Teleplay By: Peter Noah & Nadia Conners; directed by Gwyneth Horder - Payton.

Episode 9 of 10

This is reportedly the 1st episode filmed in Istanbul, Turkey due to the violence going on in Israel. Next week's season finale is also filmed in Turkey.
Old 08-19-14, 10:23 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tyrant (S1E09) -- "Gaslight" -- 8/19/14

I hope Molly's plane meets the same fate as the one that carried Tariq's Elite Guard.
Old 08-20-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really didn't notice a huge difference with the new shooting location. It's too bad that this show comes to a screeching halt whenever there are scenes with Basaam's family. The rest of the show is pretty good so these scenes really stick out in a bad way.
Old 08-20-14, 01:04 PM

I really didn't notice a huge difference with the new shooting location. It's too bad that this show comes to a screeching halt whenever there are scenes with Basaam's family. The rest of the show is pretty good so these scenes really stick out in a bad way.
Yeah they hid the location change REALLY well. I don't mind the family parts they are important I think to the arc. I struggle a bit with Basam's motivation for doing a coup. Seems a little thin on the buildup to that. Be interesting to see how dark he goes. (if it gets renewed)
Old 08-20-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

He had me kill one guy, I better over throw this evil

CIA's plan has him kill a plane full of people.. welp, guess that's part of the course of things.
Old 08-22-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The show has gotten better since they've turned Barry darker. The actor playing the American diplomat is doing a great job in that role, they need to give him more scenes.
Old 08-22-14, 04:52 PM

The show has gotten better since they've turned Barry darker. The actor playing the American diplomat is doing a great job in that role, they need to give him more scenes.
He was always going to turn dark, I just wish the motivation were a little better.
Old 08-24-14, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
He was always going to turn dark, I just wish the motivation were a little better.
The more detached the better. That's the way.
Old 08-25-14, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this episode was fantastic. I really hope they bring this show back as it's easily become a favorite of mine.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.