Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

Old 06-27-14, 04:18 PM

Re: Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/

I liked this a lot. Feels like a Middle Eastern version of Dallas to me. Most of the characters almost mirror some of the characters on Dallas. I would like to see where the stories go, and will be keeping a very sharp eye out on where stories go for Sammy.
Old 06-27-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/

I have to agree with most here. The pilot was solid and a lot better than I thought it would be. And the wife is definitely a weak link. She can't be that clueless about how brutal the dictatorship is. I can't imagine an educated American woman in this day and age who marry a middle eastern man would be so eager to go to such a country. The son is a weak link too. I have no problem with homosexuality but it seems like every drama has to make it a plot point now. Doesn't help that he's a douche.

Looks like they're trying for a Godfather + Dallas type show. I guess Jamal isn't dead so they have the rivalry angle. I almost think the show would have worked better had he come back alone and got sucked in and then brought his wife and kids over.

The brunette married to the older brother is pretty hot
Very hot.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-27-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I don't want to meet the demo that strongly identifies with Jamal.
Old 06-29-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually kind of enjoyed this. The teens were annoying, but hey, what teen isn't? I hope that down the line, the show will portray a harder edge, given the subject matter, and not rely on trite family drama. That's not the FX way.

Last edited by mike7162; 06-29-14 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Liked the pilot enough to tune back in. Agreed with the complaints, but I'm kinda interested to see a few more episodes.
Old 07-01-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tyrant (S1E02) -- "State of Emergency" -- 7/01/14

Episode 2 / Production #101 - "State of Emergency" (Airs July 1, 10:00 pm e/p) - When Barry's older brother, Jamal, the newly appointed President of Abbudin, is incapacitated, Barry must put his plans to return to America on hold. His life is further complicated, when his nephew's new bride is kidnapped by terrorists. Written by Howard Gordon & Craig Wright; directed by Michael Lehmann.

Episode 2 of 10

Seems like this was a lot better than most were expecting based off episode 1.

Previous Threads:

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/620...6-24-14-a.html
Old 07-02-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Tyrant (S1E02) -- "State of Emergency" -- 7/01/14

Pretty good second episode as well.

Did Bassam really think his Uncle was going to show those kids any mercy? Wasn't surprised they got executed. They focused a lot more on the Political side this episode and it worked really well. The wife and kids weren't annoying.

The back story that Bassam and his sister in law were once lovers was an interesting element.

Surprised that Moran Atias, who plays Leila is only 33. And yes, she is really hot.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1785054/

Go Figure that Bassam wants to stick around.
Old 07-02-14, 07:08 AM

Yea... got the impression during the pilot that they used to bang.
Old 07-02-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was a slightly better episode but there are still problems. Bassam's wife and kids add nothing to the show. He sees the kids getting executed and all she can say is, "You did the best that you could do"? And the gay kid is about to make his move. Can't wait to see that dragged out a few more episode.

That brings me to Bassam. He's supposed to be the protagonist of the show but he might be the most boring and inexpressive character on the show. I don't know if it's the actor playing him or the script but he needs to show a little more range of emotion.

I still think there's a great show ready to jump out here but these first two episodes are a bit disappointing.
Old 07-02-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Tried to watch the pilot last night. Gave up about 40 minutes in because it was terrible.
Old 07-02-14, 10:13 PM

I really enjoyed the episode. Like Neil said Basham's family is just a weak part that I drop out when I see them on screen. However, with the political and family dynamic with Bassam I was all in. Really felt like a different show from pilot.
Old 07-03-14, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

It's really just that his wife comes off as the most clueless woman around. I mean, even if you don't know their family history, telling your husband to express to his dictator of a father his feelings... I mean, fucking really?
Old 07-03-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally caught the first two episodes. Really enjoying the show, but the naivete of his family is a little annoying. I know they want to portray this as a totally different world than los angeles, but they can't be that damn clueless to everything. At the very least, he should have put them on a plane back home at least a dozen times.

Those are just nitpicks though, overall it's really intriguing.
Old 07-04-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really liking this one so far. Another solid episode. Looks like i'm in for a season pass. And apparently I'm the one person who missed that the son was gay last episode.
Old 07-04-14, 12:29 PM

Pilot was all over the place. Intriguing enough for me to stick around and I thought the second episode was an improvement. I'll likely stick around for the season as well.
Old 07-04-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont know what the critics were smoking when they saw this show in previews, but they really fumbled the snap on this one. Another fine episode. The writing, acting, lush locationsdand respect for the subject matter are fantastic. Moran Atias is damn hot. I want to marry her.
Old 07-04-14, 03:46 PM

I screamed at the TV when "Barry" was on the phone with his wife, and she asked why don't you want to be here. They should pack her and the kids up, and send them home, they seem to think the county is just misunderstood, and I wish the wife would stop asking if he is ok.

Last edited by movie diva; 07-04-14 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

meh second episode. I may stick around though for the matriarch and Jamal's wife. The supposed grandeur, overdramatics from both mama Fayeed's guilt trip scene and the stuff with Leila at the hospital had me laughing.

I had the same reaction as Bassam's daughter during the funeral - what the heck was he thinking with that hostage situation? Hope there is also more to the story with her brother other than the gay thing. Not even making that subtle.

"What does your family do? Oh us, we're in the oppression business."
"Oh I think it was a little more complicated than that."

Still not sure how much the wife knows about Bassam's family. Only two eps, I wonder if they develop Jennifer Finnigan's character more or just ends up being the cookiecutter doting wife.
Old 07-06-14, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't overly impressed with the second episode, but I'll ride it out.

There's certainly some hot tail on this show -- namely Jamal's wife and the nephew's wife.
Old 07-07-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they plotted out a tight story arc for this season. This episode had the feel of a lesser writer tackling the story and dialogue than in the pilot. A very trite and predictable story about boy soldiers/terrorists. I guess I should lower my expectations as a summer show on F/X.
Old 07-07-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I hope they plotted out a tight story arc for this season. This episode had the feel of a lesser writer tackling the story and dialogue than in the pilot. A very trite and predictable story about boy soldiers/terrorists. I guess I should lower my expectations as a summer show on F/X.
Lesser writer? This wasn't written by some 20 something writers assistant. The showrunner of the series Howard Gordon co-wrote it with co-developer Craig Wright. They are the head writers of the series.

FYI, there was actually a bidding war for this series. Tyrant had interest from HBO, Showtime in addition to FX. Showtime ultimately decided to pass because they already have Homeland. 2 Muslim focused shows would have been redundant. FX actually outbid HBO to get the series.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-07-14 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 01:33 AM

I thought this one was better too. I think Bassam is acting much like I would think he would act. I assume the second episode on is where it becomes less Middle East Dallas, and more serious drama. Many shows take 4 or 5 episodes to get going.

Oh and the second season of The Bridge looks like it will be really good.
Old 07-07-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really enjoying this one so far. Great show. Howard Gordon can do no wrong in my eyes.
Old 07-07-14, 10:54 AM

I'm really enjoying the show. Some of the writing is a little weak, like Bassam's wife and how clueless she is, but I think this could end up really interesting regardless.
Old 07-07-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Lesser writer? This wasn't written by some 20 something writers assistant. The showrunner of the series Howard Gordon co-wrote it with co-developer Craig Wright. They are the head writers of the series.

FYI, there was actually a bidding war for this series. Tyrant had interest from HBO, Showtime in addition to FX. Showtime ultimately decided to pass because they already have Homeland. 2 Muslim focused shows would have been redundant. FX actually outbid HBO to get the series.
On most television projects the credited writer often isn't the person actually banging out the dialogue. It is particularly nebulous when the showrunner gets the credit unless it is an important episode, which this one wasn't.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.