Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Tyrant (FX) -- Season 1 Thread -- from the makers of Homeland

Old 06-24-14, 10:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/

I liked it enough to keep watching. Most of the stuff was predictable, like Bassam turning out to be the one who executed the guy in the street, and the writing with his wife towards the end wasn't very good.

The son is definitely going to play the role of this show's Kim/Dana.
Old 06-24-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Tyrant (S1E01) -- New FX Series from the Producer of Homeland -- "Pilot" -- 6/24/

I'm a little on the fence after watching the pilot but I'm interested in seeing where it will go. The Godfather comparison is warranted as it is clearly an influence for the pilot. I really have no interest in Bassam's wife and kids so the gay kid subplot that they will eventually explore further will be annoying. This is a show that could go either way. It needs to find the right balance of family drama and politics.
Old 06-25-14, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like they took the story of Bashar Asaad. He was the second son of Hafez and living in London as an optometrist. Then his older brother, the heir, died, and Hafez died. So the eye doctor became a dictator.
Old 06-25-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Most of the comments on the Tyrant Facebook page are positive. Those who liked it said the promos sucked and they weren't attracted to watch it, but decided to give it a go anyways. They said the FX promos were way too vague.
Old 06-25-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I enjoyed it for what it was. I'll give it a few episodes to see where it is going.
Old 06-25-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This wasn't bad at all. Sure, it wasn't a masterpiece, but I thought it was a pretty compelling Pilot and set up the series well. Surprised it ran 82 minutes.

The weakest parts were definitely Bassam's wife and kids. Hopefully that gets toned down somewhat in future episodes that Howard Gordon oversees. I like Jen Finnigan, but Molly was kind of written like an annoying hag like Brody's wife on Homeland.

The strongest parts IMO was Bassam dealing with his brother, the flashbacks and the political elements. Adam Rayner wasn't bad as the lead. Maybe a little bland, but not bad.

that introduction to Jamal was interesting to put it lightly. Raping that woman with his entourage watching the husband and kids in the next room.

Then he checks his daughter in law to see if she's still a virgin.

And what the hell was he thinking getting wasted while driving and getting a blow job from the woman he raped earlier. Of course she was going to do that.

Was surprised the father died in the Pilot. This show will probably focus on the power struggle with Jamal and Bassam.

when Bassam struck his son twice and didn't apologize. That was awesome.

I loved that this was shot overseas. Show looked great in HD. I thought this was a pretty good start. I don't think this will be a bomb. It IMO will be a moderate hit like The Bridge.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-25-14 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-25-14, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
Sounds like they took the story of Bashar Asaad. He was the second son of Hafez and living in London as an optometrist. Then his older brother, the heir, died, and Hafez died. So the eye doctor became a dictator.
That Jamal seems to be a fusion of President Assad's deceased older bro that died in a car crash Bassel and the recently back from the dead Maher. The actors could probably head over next door and meet their counterparts (if they can dodge the barrel bombs, mortar shells, snipers etc)

The real life characters that the show drew inspiration from are fascinating. This pilot not so much - crammed in too many cliches / mafia stereotypes in the first ep, we have the standard annoying rebellious teens, and the clueless wife schtick will get old fast (married how many years and don't know smack about your husband's notorious origins?). The acting/dialgoue was dripping soap opera, and not in a fun guilty pleasure way.

But the photography here looked gorgeous. Love the stuff leading up to the palace.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
So roughly on par with the Kim stuff from 24?
I doubt anything will ever match Kim Bauer's Adventures in Babysitting from 24's S2. rawr
Old 06-25-14, 04:03 AM

I dug it
Old 06-25-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot this was on last night. Will try to check out the pilot based on the comments here.
Old 06-25-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...elivers-714894

2.1M viewers and 3.46M viewers with the re-air. That's a pretty solid start for a new drama with a mostly no name cast.

For a show that isn't getting alot of rave reviews and interest in forums like this is kind of lukewarm, that is much better than expected.

I looked at the Tyrant Facebook page with over 66,000 likes right now and the reactions are mostly positive. Very few negative remarks.
Old 06-25-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I DVR'd it, but haven't had a chance to see it yet. For whatever reason (although it's an entirely different setting/nationality), the previews reminded me of the one-season/miniseries NBC show "Kingpin".
Old 06-25-14, 07:32 PM

I actually really enjoyed it. Will continue to tune in.
Old 06-25-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread greatly undersells how good the pilot was. The series was more grounded than I expected going in, if you make allowances for the excessive sexual content needed to hook viewers in the first episode. It definitely feels like Homeland in terms of plotting and tone, which is a good thing.

The only problem I had with Tyrant's opener was the clueless wife character. She presumably knew her husband was the son of a Middle East dictator and kept acting very dumb, far beyond the bounds of credibility. If she has been kept in the dark about him, they didn't explain it well.

Aside from that mistake, everything clicked and it was a surprisingly fast hour for a pilot. The kids weren't that annoying, though the gay son subplot will likely lead to a very predictable storyline down the road.
Old 06-25-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it, but can they get rid of the wife and kids, I also had a problem with the wife and kids being clueless, it seems like one of the kids would have googled the granddad, but I think that the daughter has a little bit of a clue. Barry should just do like Michael did in the Godfather and tell the wife not to ask about his business, better yet put them on the first plane out and tell them it is for their safety, but I think it will be one of my summer watches.
Old 06-26-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught up with the pilot last night...I liked the political stuff a lot, but the soap-opera stuff a lot less.

The brunette married to the older brother is pretty hot...she gives off a Morena Baccarin vibe. I wonder if Gordon had her in mind when he cast the role (assuming he did help cast the role).
Old 06-26-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Gordon made the right call by adding the political element yes?

And why do show producers always try to cram the annoying teen/wife subplot into shows, who do they think actually want this? I've never seen any demo 'crave' or 'want' the annoying teen subplot. Do they think they are going to tap into the 14-24 yearold age group demo with this stuff?

Obviously someone must like it because we keep on getting it.
Old 06-26-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

The only problem I had with Tyrant's opener was the clueless wife character. She presumably knew her husband was the son of a Middle East dictator and kept acting very dumb, far beyond the bounds of credibility. If she has been kept in the dark about him, they didn't explain it well.
That's actually a really good point. This is the reason why I'm not overly impressed with the pilot. They needed the clueless wife to give a reason why they would go to the middle east. It's clear that he didn't want to go and he doesn't even pretend to have a good time when he's there. All he had to do was tell her how brutal his father is and convince her that they can't go for their own safety. Instead, they sort of insinuate that this is his destiny and he sort of knows it. He doesn't put up a fight at any point and just let's it happen. In The Godfather, this premise worked because even though Michael didn't want to be in the family business, he didn't leave his family. He still loved his family. In Tyrant, Bassam leaves his family and has absolutely no reason to come back. He doesn't seem to love anyone in his family. They needed his clueless wife to convince him to come back and that stretches the limits of credibility.

I enjoyed most aspects of the show and will continue watching but the pilot wasn't overwhelmingly impressive.
Old 06-26-14, 10:25 AM

I think the wife and family knew in a general sense how bad the President was... but I don't think they're aware of why the father is so traumatized, i.e. having to kill someone at a young age... maybe feeling that there is a killer inside him and he needed to suppress it. He knew if he stuck around, he would turn into his father... so he left, and became a doctor and helped people.
Old 06-26-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Looks like Gordon made the right call by adding the political element yes?

And why do show producers always try to cram the annoying teen/wife subplot into shows, who do they think actually want this? I've never seen any demo 'crave' or 'want' the annoying teen subplot. Do they think they are going to tap into the 14-24 yearold age group demo with this stuff?

Obviously someone must like it because we keep on getting it.
It's intended to provide identifiable characters in each market segment. Most long-term viewers tend to strongly identify with one of the primary characters on a show. Most people identify with characters that have similar characteristics to themselves (age, gender, race, sexual orientation, etc...). It's why you almost never see single-gender or single-race shows anymore. Niche cable fare needs to hit every demo possible.
Old 06-26-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
It's intended to provide identifiable characters in each market segment. Most long-term viewers tend to strongly identify with one of the primary characters on a show.
I don't want to meet the demo that strongly identifies with Jamal.
Old 06-26-14, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
That's actually a really good point. This is the reason why I'm not overly impressed with the pilot. They needed the clueless wife to give a reason why they would go to the middle east. It's clear that he didn't want to go and he doesn't even pretend to have a good time when he's there. All he had to do was tell her how brutal his father is and convince her that they can't go for their own safety. Instead, they sort of insinuate that this is his destiny and he sort of knows it. He doesn't put up a fight at any point and just let's it happen. In The Godfather, this premise worked because even though Michael didn't want to be in the family business, he didn't leave his family. He still loved his family. In Tyrant, Bassam leaves his family and has absolutely no reason to come back. He doesn't seem to love anyone in his family. They needed his clueless wife to convince him to come back and that stretches the limits of credibility.

I enjoyed most aspects of the show and will continue watching but the pilot wasn't overwhelmingly impressive.
Yeah it was the weak link. The grandfather is the dictator of a country in the Middle East. Seems unlikely he would allow himself be dragged there by his wife for a wedding. They tried to address this with the ambassadors living and loving the opulent life style there, but it did not really ring true.
Old 06-26-14, 09:18 PM

I watched the pilot and I thought it was solid for the most part. I agree with previous posts, about the clueless wife and kids. The daughter seems to be more likable than the wife and son. The actor who played Bassam's brother was a bit over the top. I will be tuning into this to see what happens.
Old 06-27-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by writer106 View Post
I watched the pilot and I thought it was solid for the most part. I agree with previous posts, about the clueless wife and kids. The daughter seems to be more likable than the wife and son. The actor who played Bassam's brother was a bit over the top. I will be tuning into this to see what happens.
That is because the daughter actually has her head on her shoulders instead of being the bratty rebellious teen.
Old 06-27-14, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught up on the pilot and liked it enough to check out more. Hell if I'm still watching Sons of Anarchy I'd be a hypocrite not to watch this.

Who's taking odds on the inevitable subplot of the son getting in a gay sex act and being held by some extremists? I saw we see that no later than episode 5.
Old 06-27-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Caught up on the pilot and liked it enough to check out more. Hell if I'm still watching Sons of Anarchy I'd be a hypocrite not to watch this.

Who's taking odds on the inevitable subplot of the son getting in a gay sex act and being held by some extremists? I saw we see that no later than episode 5.
I would love them to turn this on its head and make the son turn into 'gay son right hand man of Barry' in a couple of years following in Fathers foot steps.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.