TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "Goodbye Miami" -- 9/08/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Dexter -- "Goodbye Miami" -- 9/08/13

Synopsis:

Dexter enlists Dr. Vogel's help to lure the Brain Surgeon to a location in order to get him on the table. Later, an important person in Dexter's life is murdered before his eyes.

Episode 10 of 12

Only 2 more to go after tonight.
Old 09-08-13, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Dexter -- "Goodbye Miami" -- 9/08/13

I wonder who he witnesses getting killed. I think it's safe to say not Deb, possibly Hannah? Those two along with Harrison are the only ones I can see who are really important to him and it's a safe bet to say it won't be Harrison.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-08-13 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 09-08-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

The way these descriptions always lean on the hyerbole, I'll be annoyed (but not surprised) if the "important person" turns out to be the guy Dexter buys donuts from every morning.
Old 09-08-13, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wonder who he witnesses getting killed. I think it's safe to say not Deb, possibly Hannah? Those two along with Harrison are the only ones I can see who are really important to him and it's a safe bet to say it won't be Harrison.
Spoiler:
It's Dr. Vogel
Old 09-08-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blaster1
Spoiler:
It's Dr. Vogel
I know you spoilerized it but seriously with three left if that's true at least wait until after the episode airs to say something like that. My fault for clicking it too but still.
Old 09-08-13, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just 2 more to slog through to finish. Bummed this isn't getting a better sendoff than this.
Old 09-08-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99
just 2 more to slog through to finish. Bummed this isn't getting a better sendoff than this.
One thing that really annoys me this season is the fact that it seemed like last season with the death of LaGuerta they had the final season somewhat planned out but it seems like it happened basically for nothing. It hasn't even hardly been brought up at all this year. It's like the writers just start a storyline but don't know how to finish them or something.

Tonight's episode was decent enough. It's seemed fairly obvious for a while that Dexter wanting to be with Hannah would pose a problem and now that seems like it's going to come into play. Also as much as it fits Dexter's character to want to kill Saxon it would have made more sense for him to have just left and let Vogel handle him herself. He pretty much just got her killed anyways because he knew that she was setting him up for Dexter to kill him. I'm curious to see how the last couple episodes wrap up but yeah overall the show could have went out better which is sad as this show had a lot of potential when it started out.
Old 09-09-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG! I can't wait for the last two episodes!!!

Just kidding! Another snooze fest.
Old 09-09-13, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I hope they have a different ending in line than what we have seen in the previews. If it ends that way then it will be a wasted opportunity.
Old 09-09-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I hope they have a different ending in line than what we have seen in the previews. If it ends that way then it will be a wasted opportunity.
That's just it with Dexter, I love the show and think it's sort of fun to watch but it has so much wasted potential. I just don't understand why the writers have felt the need to leave a lot of loose ends on things that should have been obvious ways to tie up the series. Last season they set it up so perfectly, LaGuerta dies suddenly after confronting Dexter about being The Bay Harbor Butcher and puts out warrants for Dexter and Deb's cell phone records the night of Travis Marshall's death but yet no one seems to question either of them or think it's suspicious. It just doesn't really even make sense as to why they did it this way. I actually like this season to an extent but that really irritates me that they didn't do something better for the final season. As a stand alone season it would have been fine.

Last edited by Mike86; 09-09-13 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-09-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Chekov's gun, meet Deb's treadmill.
Old 09-09-13, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow. For a final season it is amazingly bad. And it was set up really well last year. I guess the writers believe that Dexter is the "good guy" and that we somehow want him to escape to figgin Argentina and play house with a serial killer mother. I guess the universe decided that the final 9 awesome final episodes of Breaking Bad needed to be cosmically balanced with 13 complete shit final episodes of Dexter.
Old 09-09-13, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Chekov's gun, meet Deb's treadmill.

Tonight's episode just felt really flat. It's obvious it's just there to (attempt) to tie up anything that might be hanging off before the final 2 episodes.

Spoiler:
I didn't mind Vogel being killed. After the discovery of her 'son', the writers made her character incredibly and obnoxious. I did enjoy the character when she was first being introduced. Elway was another character I liked, but the writers took the opportunity to flip his character when Deb brought up his 'advances'.

As Mike86 mentioned, there are just too many loose ends right now and even more with so many side plots/characters in this season. You'd think with a Final Season, the writers would make it as clean as possible.
Old 09-09-13, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Pretty lackluster episode.

I mean we're in the home stretch and Let's see, here are some key plot points from tonight:

Harrison got a boo boo for being a stupid kid

Quinn broke up with Jaime

Deb and Quinn reunited

Dex fantasizes about Ar-hen-tina.

What saved it from being a total dog was Saxon slicing Vogel's throat. That was a surprise. I also enjoyed seeing Saxon's kill videos.
Old 09-09-13, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pretty lackluster episode.

I mean we're in the home stretch and Let's see, here are some key plot points from tonight:

Harrison got a boo boo for being a stupid kid

Quinn broke up with Jaime

Deb and Quinn reunited

Dex fantasizes about Ar-hen-tina.

What saved it from being a total dog was Saxon slicing Vogel's throat. That was a surprise. I also enjoyed seeing Saxon's kill videos.
Also, Lem and Powder are onto Hannah. It was just a giant set-up episode. I'm still enjoying it.
Old 09-09-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think that the first half of the season, or the first 4-5 episodes, were good enough. But then things went really bad.
Old 09-09-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
Also, Lem and Powder are onto Hannah.

It's true because he still acts like lem, and not a US marshal.
Old 09-09-13, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't understand why Dexter wouldn't just fly off with Harrison and Hannah as soon as possible to get her out of the country and settle in somewhere, then he can come back and tie up all the loose ends....selling home, boat, killing Saxon, etc.
Old 09-09-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I like how they've made Hannah into a such a sweet and nice character now. Deb even seems to be warming up to her.
Old 09-09-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I don't understand why Dexter wouldn't just fly off with Harrison and Hannah as soon as possible to get her out of the country and settle in somewhere, then he can come back and tie up all the loose ends....selling home, boat, killing Saxon, etc.
because that's logical.

Then again it's just like deniro at the end of Heat. Could have (should have) just left as planned then come back for waingro later.
Old 09-09-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I don't understand why Hannah hasn't cut her hair and dyed it black.

She's a wanted fugitive who still looks exactly like she does in all of the pictures they're constantly showing on the news.

Put on some glasses, too.
Old 09-09-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Dexter's defense, he's trying to protect Vogel from an imminent (in his mind) death. Flying off to Argentina and having a few umbrella drinks on the beach while house hunting doesn't exactly fit in the schedule. Also, they said several times the guy moves a lot. There's no guarantee Dexter would be able to easily find him if he returned to the states. The guy might not be in the Miami area anymore. He might not even be under the same name. And Dexter wouldn't have the police departments resources at his disposal anymore.

There is some groundwork laid for most of Dexter's decisions.

That's the part that irritates me most. Obscure your features (hats, glasses, hair, etc.). And Hannah's supposed to be pretty smart in her own right.
Old 09-09-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
In Dexter's defense, he's trying to protect Vogel from an imminent (in his mind) death. Flying off to Argentina and having a few umbrella drinks on the beach while house hunting doesn't exactly fit in the schedule. Also, they said several times the guy moves a lot. There's no guarantee Dexter would be able to easily find him if he returned to the states. The guy might not be in the Miami area anymore. He might not even be under the same name. And Dexter wouldn't have the police departments resources at his disposal anymore.

There is some groundwork laid for most of Dexter's decisions.
I don't think I heard it mentioned in Episode 10, but I would think the reason why he wants to kill Vogel's son before going to Argentina, is to protect his family.

Even though the preview for next week's episode (sort of) says otherwise, I would think that Dexter doesn't want someone like that who knows what he is, is even more 'perfect', going after his family in their new home.

If the writers made that the reason why Dexter had to tie up loose ends, that would make more sense. The whole 'Pseudo-Mother' thing between Vogel/Dexter, felt like it died when they made all the characters dumber during/after the Zach Hamilton sub-plot.

Originally Posted by Neil M.
With all the talk in this last episode about leaving as soon as possible/'tonight', nothing happened.

Then again, it's the way the writers are at it this season. No one is going anywhere now with the preview of the next episode
Spoiler:
a hurricane grounds all the flights out of Miami. What's funny is almost 8 years of watching this show and I can't remember the weather changing like that even once
Old 09-09-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
I still think that the first half of the season, or the first 4-5 episodes, were good enough. But then things went really bad.
I stuck with the show even past that, but this most recent episode really rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 09-09-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

She's a wanted fugitive who still looks exactly like she does in all of the pictures they're constantly showing on the news.

Put on some glasses, too.
This bothers me every time she has a scene now. Sloppy writing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.