DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Breaking Bad-- To'hajiilee -- 9/8/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613351-breaking-bad-tohajiilee-9-8-13-a.html)

Matt 09-11-13 02:46 PM

Re: Breaking Bad-- To'hajiilee -- 9/8/13

Anyone else think that the gun Walt dropped may come into play during the gunfight? I could see Jesse making a break for it. And I don't think it'll happen, but I'd kind of like it if Jesse was the one to kill Todd.

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 11829315)
Vince Gilligan called him "Opie Hitler" in this week's podcast. I don't think his story ends in the shootout.

He also seemed to make a point of mentioning Todd having a thing for Lydia.

CaptainMarvel 09-11-13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 11830558)
Anyone else think that the gun Walt dropped may come into play during the gunfight? I could see Jesse making a break for it. And I don't think it'll happen, but I'd kind of like it if Jesse was the one to kill Todd.

Gomie picked up and secured that gun in his pocket.

Matt 09-11-13 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel (Post 11830569)
Gomie picked up and secured that gun in his pocket.

Oh. Must have missed that. Thanks.

Deftones 09-11-13 03:24 PM

Looks like we get a Breaking Bad spinoff with Saul: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...forward-627406

AMC is moving forward with its Breaking Bad spinoff.

After several weeks of negotiations, the basic cable network has inked a licensing agreement with Sony for the series’ next iteration. “As conceived, the new series is based on the show’s popular Saul Goodman character with the working title Better Call Saul,” the studio and network confirmed in a joint statement, adding: “plans call for Saul to be a one-hour prequel that will focus on the evolution of the popular Saul Goodman character [played by Bob Odenkirk] before he ever became Walter White’s lawyer.”

The series will star Odenkirk, with writer/producer Peter Gould set to run the effort as it was Gould who created the character back in season. Bad creator Vince Gilligan, who conceived of the spin-off with Gould, will remain involved, and noted in late July that it was his “fervent wish” that the spinoff move forward. At that time, Odenkirk added: "I'd do it in a second." A formal series order won't come until Gould, Gilligan and Odenkirk have deals finalized, a topic for which the network and studio declined comment.

Had talks with AMC fallen through, there were several other distributors, including Netflix, that were set to pounce with rich offers. Like Bad, the series will be produced by Sony, where Gilligan spent several years under an overall deal. The showrunner has not yet re-upped, and has fast become the most in-demand showrunner in town.

The news comes as Bad is set to ends its run in less than a month, with a final eight-episode arc that has wowed critics and bloggers alike. "The entire run of Breaking Bad has been remarkable and, as I've stated in the past, I don't think any TV series got out of the blocks and reached greatness faster than Breaking Bad," THR's chief TV critic Tim Goodman wrote of the Bryan Cranston starrer in July. In August, it returned with a record high of 5.9 million viewers, up 102 percent, year over year, with an 87 percent surge in the key 18-49 demo.
The move forward comes as AMC has struggled to launch its dark freshman drama Low Winter Sun, which is losing more than 50 percent of its Breaking Bad viewership. Following this week's cancelation of The Killing -- and with critical darling Mad Men signing off in 2014 -- the spin-off couldn't come at a better time for the network. Looking ahead, AMC is prepared to launch two new dramas next year: 1980s computer drama Halt & Catch Fire and period piece Turn.

Groucho 09-11-13 03:27 PM

Didn't realize it was going to be a prequel. I guess Saul's not so safe after all.

dsa_shea 09-11-13 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11830320)
Turned on his own family? Hank is pissed not only at the whole Heisenberg thing (which is no small matter) but at the danger Walt put his wife and children in. Hell he doesn't even know that Gus had threatened to kill Walt Jr. and the baby as well.

Don't DEA agents put their families in danger by choosing to be DEA agents?

bluetoast 09-11-13 04:18 PM

In Hank's case, not to the degree that Walt put Hank and Marie in danger. One time he was put directly in the line of fire.

dsa_shea 09-11-13 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11830713)
In Hank's case, not to the degree that Walt put Hank and Marie in danger. One time directly in the line of fire.

I understand that but almost everyone is fallible and has some degree in this show. Even Marie has gotten off lightly for her thieving ways.

bluetoast 09-11-13 04:24 PM

Yeah but I was clearly responding to the person who thought that Hank was an asshole for "turning on his own family." As such, my point wasn't that Hank is perfect, so that whole issue is moot. My point is that Hank is doing his job, and that I don't think he owes Walt anything, especially in light of his year long investigation.

dsa_shea 09-11-13 04:27 PM

Well, Walt was responsible for helping Hank "get back on his feet" whether Hank likes where the money came from or not. Sometimes life is not so black and white. Why do some kids get cancer and die before the age of ten while other scum of the earth get to live seemingly forever?

bluetoast 09-11-13 04:29 PM

And Hank would still deny that he owes Walt any courtesy. Especially since that situation of "getting on his feet" emerged from Walt's actions. I'm not arguing a grand point, I'm saying that from Hank's perspective, it makes perfect sense that he's going after Walt even after their years of knowing each other.

Nausicaa 09-11-13 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11830721)
Yeah but I was clearly responding to the person who thought that Hank was an asshole for "turning on his own family." As such, my point wasn't that Hank is perfect, so that whole issue is moot. My point is that Hank is doing his job, and that I don't think he owes Walt anything, especially in light of his year long investigation.

To be fair, him being an asshole and turning on his own family were two separate things in my mind. But like I said, I can understand his anger.

I guess, it's just that as a result of the dynamic between Walt and Hank they established throughout the series (Hank kind of treating Walt like a hapless loser), I don't really want to see Hank prevail over Walt. It took me seeing Hank slap the cuffs on for me to feel this way.

bluetoast 09-11-13 04:41 PM

Oh right, forgot they were two separate points. But yeah I can see your point due to the domineering in the past. There are people on both sides of this (pro/anti Hank), which is cool to have. It's interesting too since the same type of dynamic in The Shield with Kavanaugh and the Strike Team had everybody still rooting for the Team. Did anyone want Kavanaugh to succeed?

Nausicaa 09-11-13 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11830753)
Oh right, forgot they were two separate points. But yeah I can see your point due to the domineering in the past. There are people on both sides of this (pro/anti Hank), which is cool to have. It's interesting too since the same type of dynamic in The Shield with Kavanaugh and the Strike Team had everybody still rooting for the Team. Did anyone want Kavanaugh to succeed?

Yes I agree, it's one of the reasons this show is so appealing, I think. I totally wanted to see Walt get taken down, then I actually saw it happen and thought this doesn't feel right. All of the characters are complex and the viewer isn't always on the same page. Comparing it to The Shield is perfect.

wirefan 09-11-13 05:49 PM

Gomez is pretty much Ensign Expendable on a Star Trek away team. While he is not an unknown character, someone has to die and he's the lowest on the totem pole.

I don't see Todd dying. Todd strikes me as Gayle - a guy the white supremacists (and potentially Lydia?) want to be the cook long term and either Jesse or Walt will teach him until he is good enough (and like Gus planned, the plan will be to kill that person off once Todd is up to speed).

I can see Jesse being the teacher and Walt trying to save him (The M60 for Todd's uncles's gang? the ricin for Lydia?). The ricin could also be for Todd to save Jesse (as he would be the only one to keep the cook going). Walt killing Todd would also take things full circle from Jesse killing Gayle to save Walt.

Not sure if Hank is alive or dead after the shootout. He could be badly injured just so he can pass on all the info to Marie and the DEA and then die off? I could also just see him dying right there. I think he has to die at some point to possibly turn Sklyer away from Walt and leaving Walt alone at the end.

philo 09-12-13 01:22 AM

I found it interesting that we don't see Jesse during the shootout and the last we see of him he is opening the car door. I find it hard to believe they would kill Todd during the shootout after that whole setup with Lydia. Seems like that was a foundation for something later. I'm betting Gomez and Hank are goners though.

GatorDeb 09-12-13 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 11826081)
Not only that, which one of those boneheads is the expert in GPS triangulation? I know you can do that on Google but I bet it takes a while to figure it out.

They had the exact coordinates, it takes two seconds to plug them into Google Maps.

Kal Varnsen 09-12-13 07:38 AM

Fallon's parody:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/duKL2dAJN6I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GoVegan 09-12-13 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb (Post 11831249)
They had the exact coordinates, it takes two seconds to plug them into Google Maps.

I think he meant Hank and Gomez. They were working without the support of the police department and were still able to trace a cell phone call to the exact location and arrive only a minute or two behind Walt.

Draven 09-12-13 09:03 AM

I think if Hank was going to die he would have been shot as the cliffhanger for this episode. Gomez will probably bite it.

dave94 09-12-13 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan (Post 11831350)
I think he meant Hank and Gomez. They were working without the support of the police department and were still able to trace a cell phone call to the exact location and arrive only a minute or two behind Walt.

I was assuming Hank planted another tracking device (or several, in case he found one) on Walt's car.

That, or they were just tailing him but not following too closely behind. I don't think there's anyway they were tracking via his cell phone.

GatorDeb 09-12-13 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69 (Post 11826319)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Xander 09-12-13 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by dave94 (Post 11831387)
I was assuming Hank planted another tracking device (or several, in case he found one) on Walt's car.

That, or they were just tailing him but not following too closely behind. I don't think there's anyway they were tracking via his cell phone.

Yeah, I figured they were tailing him too.

islandclaws 09-12-13 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by philo (Post 11831224)
I find it hard to believe they would kill Todd during the shootout after that whole setup with Lydia.

With three episodes left, I doubt the writers are going to waste time on a romance arc for Todd. He's just as expendable as Gomey, maybe even more so because with him gone, the Nazi dudes will desperately need a cook.

JayDerek 09-12-13 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 11831660)
With three episodes left, I doubt the writers are going to waste time on a romance arc for Todd. He's just as expendable as Gomey, maybe even more so because with him gone, the Nazi dudes will desperately need a cook.

agreed. i think the thing w/ Todd and Lydia was just a little character flourish and nothing more