DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Favorite "Law & Order" Series? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/613269-favorite-law-order-series.html)

Stryper Fan 10-16-01 10:32 AM

Which is your favorite Law & Order show?

Favorite Law & Order show.

das Monkey 10-16-01 10:51 AM

Might be a better poll to break up the L&O casts.

das

Red Dog 10-16-01 10:53 AM

Definitely the original, although I have been sorely disappointed with this year's episodes. I believe that the show may have "jumped the shark" last year with the departure of Steven Hill and is going further downhill with the terrible acting and bland looks of Elizabeth Rohm. My wish is that they moved the little used (and hot) ADA from SVU to the original.

I don't like the other 2 nearly as much because there is very little to the "Order" part of those shows. Also, I find the D'Onofrio character on CI to be totally unbelievable.

JsphOfArimethia 10-16-01 11:01 AM

I had to vote CI. It's everything I had hoped it would be.

huzefa 10-16-01 12:25 PM

Bring jill hennessey back from the dead!! Or get rid of this cookie-cutter ADA elisabeth rohm and bring in someone from jack's past.

tofu 10-16-01 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
My wish is that they moved the little used (and hot) ADA from SVU to the original.

gotta love Stephanie March :thumbsup: one of hottest chicks with glasses

huzefa 10-16-01 02:34 PM

Originally posted by tofubomb

gotta love Stephanie March :thumbsup: one of hottest chicks with glasses

Damn, she's a real bitch! Would love to her on L&O!!

NC-36 10-16-01 05:51 PM

Original L&O for me
Jerry Orbach rules

Geofferson 10-16-01 09:21 PM

Originally posted by NC-36
Original L&O for me
Jerry Orbach rules

Couldn't have said it better myself.

movielib 10-17-01 11:24 AM

Definitely the original which I've been a fan of since the first episode. But Dianne Wiest still has not created an interesting character in more than one year. Elisabeth Rohm hasn't done this either but I'm willing to give her a little time. Something seemed to be starting to emerge in the last episode.

Slumbering Fist 10-17-01 01:09 PM

I hate, hate, hate the courtroom drama, so I could never realy get into Law and Order. In other words, way too much Law, not enough Order. And if you prefer Order, you can just watch Homicide instead.

But, because I love Oz, I tried SUV for awhile and was disappointed.

I've been watching Criminal Intent because I love Vincent D'Onofrio, and I think the show is pretty good. They havent strayed down the deep character develpoment/personal lives path, which is a nice move, instead just letting little bits about the main characters pop up. Its more about the work. D'Onofrio is like some grumbling, haunted, persistent Sherlock Holmes (reminds me a lot of the FBI profilers who beome so in tune with crime pathology, its almost mystical) , and I can see a lot of life in the character.

moviefan2k4 09-07-13 01:40 AM

Favorite "Law & Order" Series?

Which do you enjoy watching the most, and why?

By far, mine is the original. "Special Victims Unit" got too freaky sometimes, and "Criminal Intent" was too mundane for me.

Ropes Pierre 09-07-13 10:10 AM

Re: Favorite "Law & Order" Series?

Law and Order: The SUV

Charlie Goose 09-07-13 10:14 AM

I've seen a lot of the original, because for a while it was in reruns a dozen times a day.

For SVU, I really liked Stabler, but haven't seen enough of the episodes.

Never saw any of the others.

Mike86 09-07-13 12:49 PM

To me I'd say Law & Order: Criminal Intent. I liked D'Onofrio and thought Goren and Eames were a good pairing. I found it kind of an interesting show too in that in most episodes it was basically revealed who committed the crime and learning more about them and watching the detectives working the case and trying to prove that they did it.

The original Law & Order is good too but to me that one really depends on the season/cast. Favorite detectives were Jerry Orbach's character (Briscoe), Dennis Farina (Fontana), and Jesse L. Martin (Green). Not a big fan of Noth's character really.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit was okay for a while but it got old the fastest to me. Stabler and Benson were a good team and the supporting cast was good but I dunno. I could only watch so much of it.

Never really watched Law & Order: Trial By Jury, Law & Order: Los Angeles or Law & Order: UK.

DJariya 09-07-13 01:07 PM

I watched the original mothership here and there. It's too bad that show never actually got a true final season and was instead cancelled.

I watched every episode of Law and Order: LA. I thought it started out a little rough, but once they revamped the show with Molina changing from lawyer to cop and teaming him up with Corey Stoll, the show got better. It's too bad that show never caught on. Plus, they really screwed up the airing of that show. Took a 3-4 month break to reboot the show and skipped a bunch of episodes. Then they killed off Skeet Ulrich's character, but still had a bunch of unaired episodes with him. Then after the show got cancelled, they decided to air the 5-6 unaired episodes with Ulrich after the reboot episodes and it created major continuity issues and confused alot of people.

I started SVU the season after Chris Meloni left. Bringing in Kelli Giddish and Danny Pino IMO gave it a fresh start. I liked how they mix in some serialized plots with the cases of the week.

CI was great mainly for how fucking weird and eccentric Goren was. His interrogation scenes were always good. I liked the move to USA and was glad it got a true final season. It was kind of cool to see Eames make a few appearances on SVU recently just to let everyone know she's still alive.

sleepyhead55 09-07-13 01:22 PM

I've seen most of them except for the Law and Order LA one. It was a close vote for me between the CI and the mothership. SVU was good for about 5-6 seasons before it went to mediocrity. CI had a reallly great string of seasons (1-3 I think) but then D'Nofrio burned out and they brought in other detectives (Noth, Goodblum) to lessen the workload. But the mothership is just so familar and comforting to me. The random Orbach one liners or just the NY scenery I find enjoyable to watch. And that is even with some really suspect years (mostly the Rohmbot years and that one year with Milena Govich which was truly awful).

davidh777 09-07-13 01:53 PM

What's the difference between the shows, other than the casts?

My Other Self 09-07-13 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777 (Post 11824246)
What's the difference between the shows, other than the casts?

Law & Order: Trial by Jury focused on the court proceedings. The others are all typical procedural, so the difference isn't much.

SVU I've been watching since it started in '99 since there were so many Oz transplants when the show first started. I almost ditched it when Meloni left since he was my favorite actor in the series, but Danny Pino has done a great job doing his own thing. Even after all these years I'm still entertained by it.

Super X 09-07-13 03:47 PM

Even though the stories are essentially remakes of original L&O stories, I really enjoy "Law and Order: UK".

moviefan2k4 09-07-13 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by My Other Self (Post 11824252)
Law & Order: Trial by Jury focused on the court proceedings. The others are all typical procedural, so the difference isn't much.

By the same token, "Criminal Intent" focuses almost exclusively on the police.

cdollaz 09-07-13 08:29 PM

Svu

conscience 09-07-13 09:23 PM

Original
CI
SVU
TBJ
LA

Gizmo 09-07-13 09:37 PM

I only watched LA....so LA!

Jimmy James 09-07-13 10:39 PM

I have a lot of love for Conviction, the only US member of the family not mentioned yet (I think).

My answer, however, is OG L&O, the older the better. I'm talking Richard L. Brooks and Jill Hennessy eras.