Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-30-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/west...-abrams-pilot/

In one of the biggest commitments ever for HBO, the pay cable network has nabbed Westworld, a drama series inspired by Michael Crichton’s 1973 sci-fi movie. The project, from J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot, Person Of Interest creator Jonathan Nolan, producer Jerry Weintraub and Warner Bros TV, has received a pilot production commitment. It marks the first major cable sale for Bad Robot, which had been focused on broadcast TV for the past few years with such series as Fringe, Person Of Interest, Revolution and the upcoming Believe. Written by Nolan and Lisa Joy (Burn Notice), Westworld is described as a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin. WME-repped Nolan is set to direct the pilot, which he and UTA-repped Joy will executive produce with Abrams, Weintraub and Bryan Burk. Kathy Lingg is co-executive producing, while Athena Wickam serves as a producer. Warner Bros TV is producing with Bad Robot, Jerry Weintraub Prods. and Kilter Films.
You all know who JJ is. Nolan is Christopher's brother and the creator and executive Producer of Person of Interest. It's cool that Nolan is also directing the Pilot.

Depending on who they cast, this could potentially be really interesting.

This seems like pretty much a sure thing. If this doesn't get picked up by HBO, I would be shocked.
Old 08-30-13, 06:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
re: Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

color me stoked!
Old 08-30-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

I like it. I'm a fan of the film, and even the sequel Futureworld was pretty good.

I do have to wonder how it would work as a series, especially since this isn't the first attempt. In 1980, there was a show called Beyond Westworld on CBS. It was canceled after 3 episodes aired, and only 5 were produced.

That being said, they have the right people on board for this.
Old 08-30-13, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm hoping they deal with the actual development of the world before customers come in. That would be cool to see.
Old 08-30-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As long as they don't take funding away from GoT... don't mess with the golden goose.
Old 08-30-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this really expensive?

Just wondering how a pilot is "one of the biggest commitments ever for HBO".
Old 08-30-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

I guess if they're gonna fuck up one of my favorite movies, I'd rather they did this than a remake.
Old 08-31-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that HBO is getting more into fantasy and sci-fi. Can a space show be far behind? I hope not.
Old 08-31-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

A cable-based Bad Robot production, created by the creator of Person of Interest? I'm there.
Old 08-31-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Old 08-31-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give it a shot, but I would've been more excited by a movie remake. I thought WB had been developing one for years, but I guess that'll be on hold. Maybe they'll use this series to gauge interest.
Old 08-31-13, 03:34 PM

I was a bit young at the time but I enjoyed Westworld. JJ Abrams kind of scares me since Lost though.

Dare I say over-rated?
Old 08-31-13, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

DEADWOOD with robots. Imagine spending a weekend in Deadwood. Instead of a glitch causing the robots to just go berserk, the bots could become self aware like Cylons or something. The robots could have individual personalities and relationships when alone, but revert to character when a guest is around, putting on a show.
Old 08-31-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

This concept doesn't really work as a series. Maybe a limited series. But yes, i would have preferred a movie remake.
Old 08-31-13, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
DEADWOOD with robots. Imagine spending a weekend in Deadwood. Instead of a glitch causing the robots to just go berserk, the bots could become self aware like Cylons or something. The robots could have individual personalities and relationships when alone, but revert to character when a guest is around, putting on a show.
Lol. The more I think of it... This is a bad concept. A movie remake would be awesome though.

Replace JJ with Vince Gilligan while we're at it.
Old 08-31-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts

The best part of the movie was the end when Yul Brynner goes all Terminator on Richard Benjamin.

I've lost patience for shows that are 95% filler. This sounds like a concept that will be stretched way thin over a series.
Old 09-01-13, 06:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Normally this would be great news; but if it's delaying him working on Micronauts then f everyone involved.
Old 09-01-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This concept doesn't really work as a series. Maybe a limited series. But yes, i would have preferred a movie remake.
I agree with this...it's a theme park, essentially, so how many weekly accidents can you have before they shut it all down?
Old 09-01-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm going to assume this will get no more than 8-10 episodes tops.

With Nolan still heavily involved with Person of Interest, I don't think he can shoot this Pilot until POI's next hiatus. Probably Spring 2014.
Old 10-08-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Interesting that HBO is getting more into fantasy and sci-fi. Can a space show be far behind? I hope not.
Mass Effect in HBO please?
Old 10-08-13, 02:02 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Glad to see HBO looks to continue their approach of investing in shows that come with high production costs. I remember reading a while back that they lost so much money with Rome and Carnivale (both were very expensive to produce) that they scaled back costs for subsequent shows that followed (Tell Me You Love Me, John from Cincinnati, etc.).

They obviously tried again with Game of Thrones and with it's enormous success, looks like HBO is comfortable enough to expand with another show (assuming of course that Westworld comes with expensive production costs).
Old 10-08-13, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd much rather see a Logans Run series.
Old 10-09-13, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Glad to see HBO looks to continue their approach of investing in shows that come with high production costs. I remember reading a while back that they lost so much money with Rome and Carnivale (both were very expensive to produce) that they scaled back costs for subsequent shows that followed (Tell Me You Love Me, John from Cincinnati, etc.).
An HBO exec once remarked that in hindsight cancelling Rome was a mistake. I don't think that the DVD, Netflix, and Amazon markets were quite as robust as they are for current shows.
Old 07-11-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

https://twitter.com/EricIGN/status/487344274896216064

Eric Goldman
‏@EricIGN
HBO just mentioned piloting Westworld (from Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams), which I am greatly curious about. #TCA14

https://twitter.com/EricIGN/status/487347038787354624

Eric Goldman
‏@EricIGN
Westworld will film this summer. Casting happening soon. Same basic idea of amusement park w/ robots but tonally different from film. #TCA14
Filming this summer, casting soon.
Old 07-11-14, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This is my thinking as well. I'll reserve judgment, but it doesn't seem like the 'futuristic-amusement-park-goes-haywire' plotline would suffice for a series, so they'll have to go in a whole other direction. I'll certainly give it a shot, in any case.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.