TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Newsroom -- "Red Team III" -- 8/25/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-13, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Newsroom -- "Red Team III" -- 8/25/13

Synopsis:

Through depositions with the newsroom staff, Rebecca pieces together the events that led to ACN's fateful decision to go forward with Jerry's special report on Operation Genoa - as well as the post-air revelations that undermined its credibility. The repercussions threaten to ruin "News Night" while eclipsing breaking news during another 9/11 anniversary.

Written by Aaron Sorkin; directed by Anthony Hemingway

Episode 7 of 9
Old 08-26-13, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: The Newsroom -- "Red Team III" -- 8/25/13

No comments yet? I thought it was the best episode of a lackluster season. Loved the ending.
Old 08-26-13, 04:57 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

So everyone just hangs their head down in silence? Nobody thinks to immediately ask why they need to retract?
Old 08-26-13, 05:48 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
No comments yet? I thought it was the best episode of a lackluster season. Loved the ending.
They really picked up the intensity with this episode. Loved the reveal about the CIA guy setting Charlie up.
Old 08-26-13, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
So everyone just hangs their head down in silence? Nobody thinks to immediately ask why they need to retract?
I think they've seen it coming, to be honest.
Old 08-26-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup. Best episode of the season easily. I loved how they didn't even show the shotclock from the basketball game jumping. You didn't need to see it. Just focusing on Mac's reaction was perfect.

Opening with Don's deposition and him asking what basically the entire watching audience was asking themselves was brilliant.

Now I'm intrigued as to how they'll "get it back". These last 2 episodes make me wish there were more episodes this season.
Old 08-26-13, 04:58 PM

Actually there should have been two more episodes. But since Aaron Sorkin totally re-did the first two episodes of this season, we'll only get nine instead of eleven. Have totally enjoyed the last three episodes from start to finish. The Newsroom has a great cast, love to see all of the characters being put to good use.
Any time we get Don/Elliot is good, throw in Sloan and it's even better.
Old 08-26-13, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is completely batshit crazy that nobody's head rolls over this. I'm sorry, but that's just not in the realm of the plausible. It feels plausible that it would either be Charlie or Mac. I understand defending against the lawsuit, but frankly the guy has a point when he's the only one let go. When you're the boss and one of your employees does crap like that, you tend to go too because you were supposed to be the one looking out for it.

Aside from that, I thought last week's episode was better TV. I do agree this is far away better than the crap we got the first part of the season.
Old 08-26-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

The shot clock thing was so telegraphed you could see it from outer space. It was obvious when the corner of the TV ended up in the interview. And then someone asked why the corner of the TV was in the interview. And then Mac asked Will about the play clock in football (and why was Will watching a football game in March?). Then, if you just hadn't figured it out by then, Sorkin pulls out an actual COUNTDOWN TIMER.

OKAY ALREADY - WE SEE IT COMING!
Old 08-26-13, 09:17 PM

Great episode, probably my favorite of the season so far. I loved Don's deposition at the beginning of the episode.

Did anyone else notice that they changed actresses for the college intern who asked Will the question in the pilot?
Old 08-26-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Very effective ending, especially with the sudden cut.

I wonder if Fonda was channeling her husband as the head of a news channel...

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Did anyone else notice that they changed actresses for the college intern who asked Will the question in the pilot?
Yeah, the new one's not as pretty.
Old 08-27-13, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Jane Fonda not a big fan or a hater but she was great.
Old 08-27-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought this and the last were the two best episodes this season. Good stuff!

LOL though at the shot clock. I knew the moment it became a topic of conversation between Mac and Will that it was going to be the deal breaker at the end of the show. It wasn't masked at all. :P
Old 08-27-13, 01:00 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

the whole game in the background was clearly going to be the factor from the get go. and I don't understand how no-one in the newsroom production team noticed the jumps. Surprised at that.
Old 08-27-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101

Yeah, the new one's not as pretty.
It's the same actress. What are you guys talking about? Her hair's just blonder and shorter than in the pilot.
Old 08-27-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't recognize her either. I thought it was a different intern until Will made a comment about her being nothing but trouble.
Old 08-28-13, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Great episode. Good follow up to last week.

After kind of a messy start, I think Sorkin and his writers finally figured out the story and are getting into a better flow.

I had to watch this episode on demand because my recording from Sunday got messed up, but the on demand episode had a 4 minute bonus interview with Sorkin about this episode. He gave a lot of good information. One thing I thought was interesting was him saying that The Newsroom TV show only shows real news events, however an exception was made with Genoa since the story was BS as scripted.

Mac figuring out the deceptive edit with the shot clock was pretty telegraphed, especially in the scene where she was talking to Will about the play clock earlier in the episode.
Old 08-28-13, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
The shot clock thing was so telegraphed you could see it from outer space. It was obvious when the corner of the TV ended up in the interview. And then someone asked why the corner of the TV was in the interview. And then Mac asked Will about the play clock in football (and why was Will watching a football game in March?). Then, if you just hadn't figured it out by then, Sorkin pulls out an actual COUNTDOWN TIMER.

OKAY ALREADY - WE SEE IT COMING!

Will was watching the Cal Golden Bears hosting the UCLA Bruins in Berkley on ESPN.

The last time they played each other in Berkley on ESPN was on October 25, 2008

Their meeting last season was on Pac-12 Network and that was in October as well.

I'm just going to guess that Will was watching something off tape (maybe ESPN Classic?) Mac did say..."You'll watch anything will you?"

Because otherwise using a game from 5 years ago to pass off as something in 2012 is a bad lack of attention to detail by them.
Old 08-28-13, 09:51 AM
Banned

Spoiler:
This guy purposely edited something out and incorrect and hes expecting to get money? how so
Old 08-28-13, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
Spoiler:
This guy purposely edited something out and incorrect and hes expecting to get money? how so
No need for spoilers, it's been a few days since the episode aired.

To answer your question, it was explained by Marcia Gay Harden's character in the deposition with Don--who's basically asking the same question as you are--Jerry's basically claiming that he's the scapegoat in the whole thing.

He's counting on the face that instead of risking their dirty laundry being made public, ACN would rather settle the claim.
Old 08-28-13, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kal-El
No need for spoilers, it's been a few days since the episode aired.

To answer your question, it was explained by Marcia Gay Harden's character in the deposition with Don--who's basically asking the same question as you are--Jerry's basically claiming that he's the scapegoat in the whole thing.

He's counting on the face that instead of risking their dirty laundry being made public, ACN would rather settle the claim.
No I saw that part..I guess I was more like this guy is an idiot lol
Old 08-28-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Will was watching the Cal Golden Bears hosting the UCLA Bruins in Berkley on ESPN.

The last time they played each other in Berkley on ESPN was on October 25, 2008

Their meeting last season was on Pac-12 Network and that was in October as well.

I'm just going to guess that Will was watching something off tape (maybe ESPN Classic?) Mac did say..."You'll watch anything will you?"

Because otherwise using a game from 5 years ago to pass off as something in 2012 is a bad lack of attention to detail by them.
Actually, I confused myself there. The Benghazi attacks were on September 11, 2012, and the show mentioned the upcoming elections, so it's clearly September 2012. However, I could have sworn that Root's character mentioned March Madness while they were setting up the interview (or March Madness being the "official" excuse as to why the TV had to be in the background).
Old 08-28-13, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Actually, I confused myself there. The Benghazi attacks were on September 11, 2012, and the show mentioned the upcoming elections, so it's clearly September 2012. However, I could have sworn that Root's character mentioned March Madness while they were setting up the interview (or March Madness being the "official" excuse as to why the TV had to be in the background).
The way I understood it was that months were passing between episodes and red team meetings.
Old 08-28-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
The way I understood it was that months were passing between episodes and red team meetings.
Yep. If I'm not mistaken, Red Team II was March and III was August. The deposition is even more months after that.
Old 08-28-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

They're really all over the place with the jumping back and forth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.