DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Ben Stiller To Revive ‘Reality Bites’ As Comedy Series For NBC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/612963-ben-stiller-revive-%91reality-bites%92-comedy-series-nbc.html)

dex14 08-22-13 06:54 PM

Ben Stiller To Revive ‘Reality Bites’ As Comedy Series For NBC

Reality Bites NBC TV SeriesReality Bites, the cult 1994 romantic comedy that examined the angst of Generation X college graduates, is heading to primetime. The film’s director Ben Stiller and writer Helen Childress have teamed for a TV series version of the movie that starred Winona Ryder, Stiller and Ethan Hawke. Childress will write the single-camera comedy project, which is set up at NBC. It centers on recent college graduate Lelaina Pierce, the character played in the movie by Ryder, as she struggles to make her way — romantically and professionally — in the recession-plagued, pre-Internet early 1990s. Set in Houston, the show, and Lelaina herself with her video camera, chronicles the lives of her “slacker” friends with whom she shares an apartment. The series is produced by Universal Television, sibling to the film’s producer Universal Pictures. Co-producing with Uni TV are Stiller’s Red Hour Television and Double Feature Films, the company run by Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher, who were producers on the 1994 film. Red Hours’ Stiller, Debbie Liebling, and Stuart Cornfeld executive produce with Childress, Shamberg and Sher. WME-repped Red Hour has a pilot, Big Time In Hollywood, FL, and stand-up comedy series, The Meltdown With Jonah And Kumail, at Comedy Central and sketch comedy series The Birthday Boys at IFC. Childress, repped by Original Artists, has feature horror project The Mountain at Fox and Red Hour with Stiller attached to direct, she is penning a feature adaptation of kids book The Snowy Day, also for Fox and Red Hour, and recently re-wrote The Drowning for Fox.

Jimmy James 08-22-13 07:25 PM

Re: Ben Stiller To Revive ‘Reality Bites’ As Comedy Series For NBC

Reports are that they let Winona have a look at the script for the pilot, but she ran off with it. They're writing a new one now.

I always wanted to make a spoof movie called "Realty Bites", about three Century 21 agents.

Hokeyboy 08-22-13 07:30 PM

Fucking terrible movie. Now it's That '90s Show. That actually makes sense, somehow.

Cellar Door 08-22-13 08:47 PM

^I agree--awful movie. My girlfriend back then loved it because she had lived in Montrose for a while.

dhmac 08-22-13 11:04 PM

I bet it Really Bites

TheKing 08-22-13 11:31 PM

I'm not sure why, but this news makes me feel older than the fact that ABC has a show this fall based in the 80s.

I guess the 80s have been done before, so I can more easily accept that Back To The Future is 28 years old, then I can accept that I graduated high school almost 20 years ago.

The movie was weak, and it introduced us to Lisa Loeb and her 9 stories of hell known as "Stay."

PenguinJoe 08-23-13 07:48 AM

It would be funnier if it took place when I graduated college the mid 2000s when the bubble burst and recession happened. What's not funny about being 23K in student loan debt thats constantly accumulating interest?

Bill Needle 08-23-13 11:18 AM

This was very literally the only movie I've ever gotten up and walked out of...and I've sat through some stinkers.

PenguinJoe 08-23-13 10:40 PM

How about "The Cable Guy" TV show, a Dexter like show about a schizophrenic Cable Guy stalking a cable company subscriber. I would be down for that, hell if Hannibal or Bates Motel could work why couldn't this? Someone call Bill Hader to be the cable guy too.

Groucho 08-24-13 09:39 AM

No other movie represents the 1990s mentality that "it's better to laze about and be a slacker than to have a real job" than Reality Bites. It was a very disappointing follow-up to the superb Ben Stiller Show.

PenguinJoe 08-24-13 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 11809415)
No other movie represents the 1990s mentality that "it's better to laze about and be a slacker than to have a real job" than Reality Bites. It was a very disappointing follow-up to the superb Ben Stiller Show.

I was very young in the 90s but I never realized they were so lazy supposedly.

andicus 08-25-13 01:35 AM

I've always thought it should've been called "This Movie Bites."

My sis-in-law recommended it years ago. I quickly realized that her taste in movies sucks.

TheKing 08-25-13 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe (Post 11809222)
How about "The Cable Guy" TV show, a Dexter like show about a schizophrenic Cable Guy stalking a cable company subscriber. I would be down for that, hell if Hannibal or Bates Motel could work why couldn't this? Someone call Bill Hader to be the cable guy too.

Wouldn't work. You'd have to set the DVR from 9AM-5PM and just hope the episode aired.