Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Prison Break's Wentworth Miller reveals he's gay in open letter to Russian film fest.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Prison Break's Wentworth Miller reveals he's gay in open letter to Russian film fest.

Old 08-21-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/pr...gay-law-112441

http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/21/wentwo...-prison-break/

WENTWORTH MILLER
I'M GAY
Sticks It to Vladimir Putin

"Prison Break" star Wentworth Miller has just revealed he's a gay man ... in a statement that reads as a giant "F YOU" to Russia.

The 41-year-old actor fired off a letter to the director of the St. Petersburg International Film Festival -- rejecting its invitation for him to travel to the Motherland for the event ... and in the letter, WM went public about his sexuality for the first time.

"Thank you for your kind invitation. As someone who has enjoyed visiting Russia in the past and can also claim a degree of Russian ancestry, it would make me happy to say yes. However, as a gay man, I must decline."

Miller continues ... "I am deeply troubled by the current attitude toward and treatment of gay men and women by the Russian government."

"The situation is in no way acceptable, and I cannot in good conscience participate in a celebratory occasion hosted by a country where people like myself are being systematically denied their basic right to live and love openly."

He added, "If circumstances improve, I'll be free to make a different choice."
Old 08-21-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Prison Break's Wentworth Miller reveals he's gay in open letter to Russian film f

Well it was rumored for years. I guess where there's smoke, there's fire. Good for him for sticking up for his principles.
Old 08-21-13, 07:21 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Prison Break's Wentworth Miller reveals he's gay in open letter to Russian film f

ahhhhhh, so THAT explains the "enter here" tattoo on his butt.
Old 08-21-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, he did commit a crime just to get into an all men's prison...

But seriously, I think I read the rumors back near the end of Prison Break and figured it was true. He needs to act more though I think he might want to write instead. He did start to pack on some pounds at the end of PB...wonder what he looks like now.
Old 08-21-13, 08:05 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I thought he already was known as gay? I guess it was just an assumption. But I always thought he was.
Old 08-21-13, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He and Anderson Cooper rank as among the least shocking comings out of all time. Good for him, btw.
Old 08-21-13, 08:49 PM
Cool New Member

Good for him! I'm not at all surprised he's gay (because it doesn't matter, the shock value just isn't there for this type of thing). I am surprised he's 41 though! He looks really young, I would have thought 30s at the most. Either way, I'm glad he is standing up for this, but I don't see Russia backing down no matter what anyone does.
Old 08-21-13, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by windom
He did start to pack on some pounds at the end of PB...wonder what he looks like now.
From earlier this month, apparently.

Old 08-21-13, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

There were rumors that Wentworth was gay since Prison Break began.

He was rumored to have been secretly dating Luke MacFarlane, who used to be on Brothers and Sisters. There were many pictures of them together.

It's 2013 now, I think we're past the time when people coming out is shocking.
Old 08-22-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It isn't shocking, and the more subtle way people come out is nice. His was in a letter that just says "as a gay man", wrestler guy earlier this week did similar by just saying "I'm gay, I was a pro wrestler."

So yeah, times changed a little.

That and this year is just a slew of them (hell even that kid that did those Fred movies on Nickelodeon came out. And Ben Whishaw. And Raven-Symone)

Plus I thought everybody knew Wentworth Miller was gay.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-22-13 at 12:56 AM.