Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Highest paid TV personalities

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-13, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Highest paid TV personalities

Forbes has released their annual list of the Highest Paid TV Personalities, and, coincidentally it also happens to match up with Bullett Media’s list of the 10 People We’d Like to Clothesline Into a Volcano of Lava Bees. Topping the list is Simon Cowell, the man who popularized American Idol, X Factor, One Direction, and Self-Satisfied British Shit-Eating, and Howard Stern, who definitely didn’t make $95 million as a host on America’s Got Talent, so that’s a bullshit spot on the list. I’m starting to think this isn’t a peer-reviewed scientific study.

Jesus, looking over the rest of these names here. Just try to find one person on it, save Ellen perhaps, who you would go to the trouble of rolling over onto their stomachs if you walked in to see them choking on their own vomit.

Job listing: Be a Smarmy **** on TV. Salary: Tens of millions. What a world.

1) (tie) Simon Cowell – $95 million
1) (tie) Howard Stern – $95 million
3) Glenn Beck – $90 million
4) Oprah Winfrey – $77 million
5) Dr. Phil – $72 million
6) Rush Limbaugh – $66 million
7) Donald Trump – $63 million
8) Ryan Seacrest – $61 million
9) Ellen DeGeneres – $56 million
10) Judge Judy – $47 million
Old 08-09-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Highest paid TV personalities

I honestly didn't even know Glenn Beck was still on TV. It's absurd he makes $90M.

Howard Stern's salary is mostly from Sirius XM. I think he made $20M for AGT last year. In any case, it's completely wrong to say his TV salary is $95M. If NBC was paying anything close to that kind of money, AGT would be on in the Fall when TV revenue is much higher.

I think this list is total media salary, not TV income like it says. In any case, it shows what we all already know : the real money is in producing TV shows, not starring in them.
Old 08-09-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I'm surprised that Stern > Oprah.
Old 08-09-13, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Maybe they're factoring on personalities that are also on TV shows cause a majority of them Seacrest, Stern, Limbaugh, Beck, and even Oprah have radio shows.

I'm kind of surprised Seth MacFarlane isn't listed.
Old 08-09-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Stern's number must have his radio salary added in. He supposedly makes around $15M for AGT. He also does have his HowardTV stuff so whatever he makes from that should be counted, but there's no way he makes $80M from just that. Also his radio salary is rumored to be around $40M now under his current contract.
Old 08-09-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm surprised that Stern > Oprah.
Originally Posted by windom
Stern's number must have his radio salary added in. He supposedly makes around $15M for AGT. He also does have his HowardTV stuff so whatever he makes from that should be counted, but there's no way he makes $80M from just that. Also his radio salary is rumored to be around $40M now under his current contract.
Yeah, I already accounted for that (that this is a list of TV personalities and their total salary across all platforms) in my surprise. Oprah has her own cable network (though maybe that doesn't count as 'salary').
Old 08-09-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I honestly didn't even know Glenn Beck was still on TV. It's absurd he makes $90M.

Howard Stern's salary is mostly from Sirius XM. I think he made $20M for AGT last year. In any case, it's completely wrong to say his TV salary is $95M. If NBC was paying anything close to that kind of money, AGT would be on in the Fall when TV revenue is much higher.

I think this list is total media salary, not TV income like it says. In any case, it shows what we all already know : the real money is in producing TV shows, not starring in them.
Just want to say this is one of the totally debased aspects of AGT, American Idol, X Factor, and similar shows. Howard gets $20 million, and while he may be the highest paid on the panel, all of them are probably pulling in $10 million+. And there they are, judging people for the chance to win a mere $1 million, paid as an annuity over some ungodly period of time. It makes it really difficult to watch sometimes, when you see Howard saying things like, "I don't know - is this really a million dollar act, when he's getting paid 20 times that in a single year to ask the question. If they are paying the people this much money, I think it would be so much better if those funds were distributed among contestants. Just have more and bigger prizes. It all feels kind of exploitative.
Old 08-09-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 279 Likes on 180 Posts

Fucking Ryan Seacrest is making $61M? I may kill myself over this. He's a host...a goddamn host. He does nothing that a million other people couldn't do.
Old 08-09-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Owning your own radio show and getting ratings is a highly lucrative business. The next biggest source of income? A syndicated talk show on television.
Old 08-09-13, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Fucking Ryan Seacrest is making $61M? I may kill myself over this. He's a host...a goddamn host. He does nothing that a million other people couldn't do.
He has about 20 jobs though.
Old 08-09-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Just want to say this is one of the totally debased aspects of AGT, American Idol, X Factor, and similar shows. Howard gets $20 million, and while he may be the highest paid on the panel, all of them are probably pulling in $10 million+. And there they are, judging people for the chance to win a mere $1 million, paid as an annuity over some ungodly period of time. It makes it really difficult to watch sometimes, when you see Howard saying things like, "I don't know - is this really a million dollar act, when he's getting paid 20 times that in a single year to ask the question. If they are paying the people this much money, I think it would be so much better if those funds were distributed among contestants. Just have more and bigger prizes. It all feels kind of exploitative.
The question is, are viewers tuning in mainly for the acts, or for the celebs and their critiques of the acts? I don't really watch AGT, but I'd think Howard is more worth the money than the 1 million dollar act.
Old 08-09-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

How is Rush Limbaugh a TV personality?
Old 08-09-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Simon Cowell will drop from the top spot since nobody watches AI anymore and the X Factor is a dud in the U.S.
Old 08-09-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

He's Executive Producer of the Kardashian show. That's where (at least half) of the money comes from.
Old 08-10-13, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Like the others on that list are anything special?
Old 08-10-13, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Plus, doesn't Seacrest have like 6 jobs? The New Year's stuff, American Idol, all the crap he does for E!, his radio work, his producing, and whatever else I missed. Seems to be more quantity than anything.
Old 08-10-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
He's Executive Producer of the Kardashian show. That's where (at least half) of the money comes from.
And a variety of other content through his production company. Everyone on this list owns media content. That's what separates them from mere actors. That's where the wealth is.
Old 08-10-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list makes very little sense particularly in light of the absence of Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld who we know rake in giant money on an annual basis in syndication and other sales. If it weren't for Rush Limbaugh's presence on the list, I'd assert perhaps that is because Jerry at least isn't on TV a ton. They're figuring this in a very strange way.
Old 08-10-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Just wanted to correct something I said earlier. Stern's salary is rumored to be $80 million under his current contract down from $100 million under his previous contract. So that must be how they got $95 million, $80M from SiriusXM + $15M from AGT. They probably don't have any idea how much he makes from HowardTV...I assume that that's separate from his SiriusXM salary. I guess they can consider his SiriusXM salary to be what he gets paid while making HowardTV, but it really shouldn't be considered part of his income from TV.
Old 08-11-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Since I didn't read the actual article, does it say these are the people getting paid the most from TV work, or is it personalities who are on TV but are the the highest total earners no matter the source?
Old 08-11-13, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I've seen of those people when I'm not visiting my parents (Mom watching Oprah/Dr Phil) is Oprah gifs and stupid ass RTs of Trump drivel. Maybe a YT Ellen interview at some point.
Old 08-11-13, 11:37 AM

I thought neither Beck nor Limbaugh have a TV show. Just a syndicated radio show and website subscription revenue.
Old 08-11-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Are you kidding? Howard Stern certainly is.
Old 08-11-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

That list is fucking depressing.
Old 08-11-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
That list is fucking depressing.
My exact thought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.