Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killing --2 Hour Season Finale -- "From Up Here/The Road to Hamelin" -- 8/04/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Killing --2 Hour Season Finale -- "From Up Here/The Road to Hamelin" -- 8/04/13

Old 08-04-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,546 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Synopsis:

Sarah seeks peace in the case's aftermath; the detectives pick up an unnerving new assignment; Lyric is tempted by her old life; Danette says good-bye.

In Hour 2, Sarah risks her life when someone dear to her goes missing; and Holder's past is used against him.

Episodes 11 & 12 of 12

No news yet whether this will come back for a 4th season.

Really strong season after the shit this show got. I wouldn't mind seeing it come back next summer.
Old 08-04-13, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The Killing --2 Hour Season Finale -- "From Up Here/The Road to Hamelin" -- 8/04/

Wow.

That was incredible. And to end it like that...I really hope this comes back. Just awesome acting all around. I need to rewatch that one. Dang...
Old 08-04-13, 11:17 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: The Killing --2 Hour Season Finale -- "From Up Here/The Road to Hamelin" -- 8/04/

Great finale and that ending... Not what I was expecting. I do hope this gets renewed.
Old 08-05-13, 12:19 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

What a weird way to end the Season (and likely the show).
Old 08-05-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kudos to everyone that picked the killer early on. That was an amazing season. It definitely felt like a series finale not just a season finale.
Old 08-05-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gizmo
What a weird way to end the Season (and likely the show).
While I loved the season, this.
Old 08-05-13, 12:57 AM

Really good season, but the last 2 weeks took a bit away from it.

The ending was great but the leadup to it was eyeroll after eyeroll and had me flashing back to season 1. The prison scenes the week before were tremendous but the hanging was over the top and heavy handed and the scene where he doesn't get to visit the kid was great, but... he doesn't know his visitation rights leading up to his execution? Linden, who I think was quoting sections of the code for visitation earlier in the show is now surprised and uaware? The last 2 shows reminded me of the first season - great individual scenes but connected together in a slipshod manner.

Still a very good season overall and the Holder character was phenomenal from start to finish and should warrant an Emmy nom (though who knows if he will get one)
Old 08-05-13, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's it?
Old 08-05-13, 08:47 AM

Interesting ending there... If they renew for Season 4, i'm curious about how they'll spin it -- or perhaps Linden's role would take on a Silence of the Lambs type of premise.

Holder's gonna be interesting as Robocop.
Old 08-05-13, 09:04 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, it sets all kinds of possibilities if the show comes back. If it doesn't, it's a bit of a rough series ender.

I liked the little vignettes with some of the characters: Callie's mom on the bridge counting to see if she'll appear (was she going to jump?), the dude throwing away his drugs on the roof, the girl you think's maybe getting her life on track working a job but then goes back to turning tricks, etc. Well done.
Old 08-05-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by uteotw
Yeah, it sets all kinds of possibilities if the show comes back. If it doesn't, it's a bit of a rough series ender.

I liked the little vignettes with some of the characters: Callie's mom on the bridge counting to see if she'll appear (was she going to jump?), the dude throwing away his drugs on the roof, the girl you think's maybe getting her life on track working a job but then goes back to turning tricks, etc. Well done.
Yeah, I liked that too. About the last part, about the girl, we are suppose to guess if she really went in the car, right? A kind of, are you a positive or negative person test, specially after they show her boyfriend throwing away his drugs.

About the finale in general, it was great. They went all balls out with that last scene.

I thought the ratings were fine. Are they really bad?
Old 08-05-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...b_source=pubv1

1.5M viewers watched. Up from the season 2 finale. No demo numbers yet.

I came back home from work really late last night and didn't have time to watch yet. Will catch later tonight.
Old 08-05-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excellent season and a very solid but not spectacular finale.

I've read on multiple sites that season 4 is certainly not a lock, but very likely. I'm not an expert on ratings, nor do I know about AMC's future schedule with Mad Men heading towards its final season and BB ending soon. I also don't know if AMC will continue to get extra money from Netflix to produce a possible season 4.

But just based on the merits, it would be a damned shame to not get a season 4 after such a great season 3. And, while I expected it to be better than seasons 1 and 2, I didn't expect it be to be nearly as good as it was. This season alone was enough to make Holder and Linden two of my favorite characters on television.
Old 08-05-13, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I didn't expect it be to be nearly as good as it was. This season alone was enough to make Holder and Linden two of my favorite characters on television.
Exactly this.

Just got done watching it and...WOW. Actually rewinded a couple times at the end thinking my DVR may have cut out.

I'm sure there will a loved it/hated it divide, but Linden's trigger pull was completely in character and seemed to be a fitting reaction to all she'd witnessed/investigated/survived in the Larsen and Seward cases.

The only major head-scratcher for me was why Holder didn't have Seattle PD on the horn as soon as he knew...a helicopter would have beat him to the lake house.

Other than that, an amazing finale. Loved how they wrapped up the other characters' arcs and I completely bit on the Reddick fake-out.

Easily one of my favorite seasons of TV ever.
Old 08-05-13, 09:33 PM

Linden during the car ride was heartbreaking. When he said that the girls at the lake would never be found and she said, crying, "It's the loneliest thing in the world, waiting to be found." Gut wrenching.

She was great this whole season.
Old 08-05-13, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
I'm sure there will a loved it/hated it divide, but Linden's trigger pull was completely in character and seemed to be a fitting reaction to all she'd witnessed/investigated/survived in the Larsen and Seward cases.
i took her shooting to be a call back in a way to the first episode where she shot the cow. she put both of them out of their misery. i think it was intentional and the writers knew how to get there.

i really hope this gets another season and then keeps coming back stronger every year. makes for an interesting story, going from a pretty hated 2nd season to something that was arguably among the best things this year.
Old 08-05-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, did not expect that ending at all. Very abrupt.

Some fantastic acting by Mireille Enos in this episode. I think Linden was already an extremely fragile person and what Skinner did was the ultimate betrayal. I agree that it was a culmination of all those events that she's witnessed. Skinner used that to screw with her head.

Skinner's justification for all the murders and how it all started was pretty twisted.

Despite the abrupt ending, it was a great season.
Old 08-06-13, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Best Line of the episode. I literally fell out of my chair laughing so hard.

Reddick: "Holder might be an idiot, but he isn't Al Qaeda"

I was dying after he made that fake bomb threat to IA.
Old 08-06-13, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So all that stuff with the prison guards...lead to nothing?

This has been the best season they have had. Maybe shorten it to 10 eps.
Old 08-06-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If AMC doesn't renew, just go 100% to Netflix, they can do it. After House of Cards and Orange... they have the prestige.

And yeah, 10 episodes may be perfect for this show.
Old 08-06-13, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by dalbowski
So all that stuff with the prison guards...lead to nothing?

This has been the best season they have had. Maybe shorten it to 10 eps.
The prison guards were there to help flesh out Seward's story.

I was just as rivited by the prison sequences as I was by the main storyline...some of the best scenes of the season occurred when Becker and Seward (and Becker and Henderson) were interacting. Arguably the highlight of the entire season was Sarsgaard's performance.

The only thing I didn't like about the prison guard subplot--and perhaps my only other nitpick about this great season--was the arrest of Becker's kid. It felt shoe-horned in and wasn't necessary considering Becker was already burdened by leading the team responsible for killing Seward. His character arc would have been exactly the same, and just as interesting, without his backstory (neglected wife, delinquent kid, etc.), which failed to humanize him any more than his banter with Henderson in the locker room.

Last edited by TimeandTide; 08-07-13 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-07-13, 01:34 AM

Thought the season and episode were great for the most part, but came here expecting to see people comparing the ending to the ending of Se7en. My only complaint would be that it seemed to borrow heavily from that in the final scene.
Old 08-07-13, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I completely bit on the Reddick fake-out.
Same here.

Loved this season, and I need more Holder...
Old 08-07-13, 08:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Good season, even if the resolution was a bit too much Alex Cross.
Old 08-07-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The prison guards were there to help flesh out Seward's story.

I was just as rivited by the prison sequences as I was by the main storyline...some of the best scenes of the season occurred when Becker and Seward (and Becker and Henderson) were interacting. Arguably the highlight of the entire season was Sarsgaard's performance.

The only thing I didn't like about the prison guard subplot--and perhaps my only other nitpick about this great season--was the arrest of Becker's kid. It felt shoe-horned in and wasn't necessary considering Becker was already burdened by leading the team responsible for killing Seward. His character arc would have been exactly the same, and just as interesting, without his backstory (neglected wife, delinquent kid, etc.), which failed to humanize him any more than his banter with Henderson in the locker room.
I think they did that to open him up as a possible suspect.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.