TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Falling Skies -- Season Finale -- "Brazil" -- 8/04/13

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Falling Skies -- Season Finale -- "Brazil" -- 8/04/13

Originally Posted by Gambit
From the conversations they showed, it didn't seem like the Volm had any ulterior motives per se. Just that they were a bit secretive on their approach. They seemed to be genuinely interested in protecting the indigenous species of the planet. Not putting them into concentration camps to be slaves or so they could ransack the planet after they took over. Was there something hinted at that I missed?

It wasn't completely clear. Part of me thought the Volm knew their kind of war would royally F up the planet, so they were going to allow humans to live in a Brazilian paradise until the last of our species died.

Another part felt that while the Volm weren't actively trying to kill us, once they won the war they were going to use Earth for their own purposes while we were safely going about our lives in Brazil unable to do anything about it.
Old 08-07-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
It wasn't completely clear. Part of me thought the Volm knew their kind of war would royally F up the planet, so they were going to allow humans to live in a Brazilian paradise until the last of our species died.

Another part felt that while the Volm weren't actively trying to kill us, once they won the war they were going to use Earth for their own purposes while we were safely going about our lives in Brazil unable to do anything about it.
I think the Volm conversations portrayed them as being generally benevolent, although controlling. The only thing that hinted at something more was the vague comment Karen threw out there before she got killed.
Old 08-07-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I think the Volm conversations portrayed them as being generally benevolent, although controlling. The only thing that hinted at something more was the vague comment Karen threw out there before she got killed.
And I got the impression that humans are more advanced than other species they have deemed needing protection.
Old 08-07-13, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And I got the impression that humans are more advanced than other species they have deemed needing protection.
I got the impression we are simply more violent than those other species.
Old 08-08-13, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope they kept them like that. Actions we may find a bit questionable yet they intentions are not bad. From what I saw it seems they just do not understand why humans act the way they do. I also noticed no one asked what they may want once they win the war.

Are they just going to go on their way or do they want something of Earth, not that would be a crazy request based on as much help as they have given. As long as they do not want to oppress all humans.
Old 08-08-13, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
I got the impression we are simply more violent than those other species.
That could be too.
Old 08-08-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They consider us more determined and resilient than other species.
Old 08-08-13, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Finally got around to watching this finale. This was a poorly plotted season, it felt like several episodes were written without much consideration for the final arc. I probably won't be back next year for another season, three iffy seasons is enough.
Old 08-08-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Finally got around to watching this finale. This was a poorly plotted season, it felt like several episodes were written without much consideration for the final arc. I probably won't be back next year for another season, three iffy seasons is enough.
They do have a new showrunner next year. David Eick, who produced Battlestar Galactica, is taking over and hiring his own writing staff. So that is promising IMO.
Old 08-09-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I also felt like an odd choice to basically have at least two filler episodes ut of a ten episode season where not much gets done. That should be the one good thing about a short season is to have a tight fine tune story line without too much fluff.

Still entertaining enough to continue, of course I am not too hard to entertain.
Old 08-09-13, 09:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
They do have a new showrunner next year. David Eick, who produced Battlestar Galactica, is taking over and hiring his own writing staff. So that is promising IMO.
That's good to know and probably the only reason I'll give it another shot next summer.

I thought this 3rd season was the weakest thus far (and the first two weren't terribly stellar to begin with). The only episode I think I truly enjoyed this season was the flashback/dream episode from a few weeks ago. I probably should have bailed already, but it's summer so I stuck it out.
Old 08-09-13, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The revolving door of showrunners tells me someone else is really calling the shots on major creative decisions, either the network or Noah Wyle.
Old 08-09-13, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The revolving door of showrunners tells me someone else is really calling the shots on major creative decisions, either the network or Noah Wyle.
No, it just means TNT is trying to make it their Walking Dead in more ways than one.
Old 09-02-13, 06:29 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Season 4 has a 13-episode order next summer. Hopefully they slow it down.
Old 09-02-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Season 4 has a 13-episode order next summer. Hopefully they slow it down.
Normally I'd be happy to hear that a show I watch is getting a longer season, but this show barely managed to come up with 10 episodes worth of story in Season 3. There was definitely filler, so I doubt the show will benefit from more episodes next season. It may hurt it even more.
Old 09-02-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Except that there are new showrunners next year. So maybe they know how to properly fill out a season.
Old 02-01-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The hybrid baby/child seems to be a complete rip-off of the Star Child from the original V miniseries/series.
and it was hated/sucked then so I'm surprised they're doing it now