TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Covert Affairs -- "Dig for Fire" -- 7/23/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Covert Affairs -- "Dig for Fire" -- 7/23/13

Synopsis:

Annie, Auggie and Arthur try to shed light on Henry's agenda after a major revelation. Elsewhere, Joan confides in Annie.

Guest cast: Gregory Itzin as Henry Wilcox

Episode 2 of 16
Old 07-24-13, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Covert Affairs -- "Dig for Fire" -- 7/23/13

Well that was a fine mess with the evil agent dying. The tapping into the conversation in that office was pretty farcical though.

The film shooting for this show is interesting. They clearly film a lot outside in DC. But it was interesting that when they go down into the Metro, it's not the DC Metro (even though the exterior shots were clearly Union Station and Farragut West). They might use the Baltimore Metro for the inside shots.
Old 07-24-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although after seeing some videos of digital backlots, I have to wonder how much is in DC. Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhN1STep_zk and you'll be amazed on things that seems like would be filmed on location were really filmed in a studio/backlot
Old 07-24-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk God

The shots directly on the Mall look pretty geniune (particularly since they showed the Monument with the scaffolding around it -- it is currently under repair after the earthquake here a few years ago damaged it). And I don't see how you fake those Metro escalator shots (I doubt they are going to go to the trouble of constructing an escalator on a backlot).
Old 07-24-13, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Covert Affairs is primarily shot in Toronto.
Old 07-24-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Sack it up, Augie." He's been too emo.

So is Annie tying her hair into a ponytail the new Jack Bauer' Hoodie of Invisibility?
Old 07-25-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not loving this show since Annie and Augie hooked up.

Really bored with this storyline they are working this season too. Wish we had some fun stand-alone episodes. I might bail on this show.
Old 07-27-13, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The shots directly on the Mall look pretty geniune (particularly since they showed the Monument with the scaffolding around it -- it is currently under repair after the earthquake here a few years ago damaged it). And I don't see how you fake those Metro escalator shots (I doubt they are going to go to the trouble of constructing an escalator on a backlot).
What they probably do is send a team to DC to film backplates and the actors film against a green screen. The scene on the balcony must have taken some special FX people to keep the background matched to the drunken camera work used. Surprised the camera didn't fall over the balcony with the way it was shaking. Are tripods outlawed on some shows? Hey USA, I'll still watch the show even if the camera is steady and not constanty used in a bouncy castle.

As for the escalator. Probably some building in Toronto. The magic of tv production. Unless you live in the spot they say they are in, you won't know how innacurate it is. Or if you live in the real location, you laugh knowing how far away that location is from where they say it is.
Old 07-27-13, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk God

I really don't see how you can fake those outside Metro shots. I do live in the DC area and am quite familiar with those Metro stations.

I agree that the balcony shot looked fake because I don't think a building exists where you could have that kind of view.
Old 07-27-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched the entire first season of this and the second season before finally giving up. I just couldn't get into it. If I wanted to watch a fluff spy show USA already has a much better one on the network. But I decided to try again after hearing that they rebooted the show and it's much better than it was.

Now I'm watching it again and they have appeared to serialize it so I'm just confused. Why is president Logan being evil again exactly?
Old 07-27-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by robin2099
I watched the entire first season of this and the second season before finally giving up. I just couldn't get into it. If I wanted to watch a fluff spy show USA already has a much better one on the network. But I decided to try again after hearing that they rebooted the show and it's much better than it was.

Now I'm watching it again and they have appeared to serialize it so I'm just confused. Why is president Logan being evil again exactly?
Did you watch season 3? That's when the show changed and became heavily serialized and darker. Some of the storylines from season 3 carried over.

But to answer your question, Henry is pretty much angry after the death of Jai last season. Also, he wants to get back into the CIA, but is disliked by everyone including Arthur. That's why he dug up that dirt on him.
Old 07-27-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They need to bring back Oded Fehr but they "retired" his character.
Old 07-28-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

to Annie using her pony tail as her cloak of invisibility.

to Joan figuring out the whole affair story was a sham.

I have to admit that Annie and Augie are a pretty boring couple. I actually liked it when Annie had that really dangerous affair last season with the spy.

So I guess it's back to Colombia next week to meet up with Hawkes from CSI: NY again.

It's really looking like they are making Henry Wilcox the main baddie. But they have 14 more episodes this season. I hope they don't waste it on making this a season arc. I prefer to see Annie is different locations like last season.