TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "What's Eating Dexter Morgan?" -- 7/14/13

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Dexter -- "What's Eating Dexter Morgan?" -- 7/14/13

Synopsis:

Dexter searches for the Brain Surgeon. Meanwhile, Dr. Vogel tries to prove to Dexter that he is perfect as a psychopath; and Debra makes a desperate plea when her post-traumatic stress disorder kicks in.

Episode 3 of 12

Promo:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2520599878001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2520599878001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 07-14-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Dexter -- "What's Eating Dexter Morgan?" -- 7/14/13

Wow, show just needs to end. The nonsense with Debra confessing just jumped a pool of sharks.
Old 07-14-13, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Couldn't disagree more. I thought it was great and a very logical road for Deb to travel down. The guilt is getting to her. Seems like a natural progression.

It seems that Vogel may not be the Brain Surgeon after all. She got the text and saw those boxes without Dexter being around, so it seems that it really isn't her. Which is good, it would have been too obvious.

Though Vogel seems to really be pushing Dexter to give in to his psychopathy and let go of Deb.
Old 07-14-13, 10:59 PM

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great episode - altho the sneak preview for episode 4 looks even better.
Old 07-14-13, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Couldn't disagree more. I thought it was great and a very logical road for Deb to travel down. The guilt is getting to her. Seems like a natural progression.

It seems that Vogel may not be the Brain Surgeon after all. She got the text and saw those boxes without Dexter being around, so it seems that it really isn't her. Which is good, it would have been too obvious.

Though Vogel seems to really be pushing Dexter to give in to his psychopathy and let go of Deb.
Agreed.

Episode was definitely the best this season, and it was vintage Dexter.
Old 07-14-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Wow, show just needs to end. The nonsense with Debra confessing just jumped a pool of sharks.
What?? That made absolute sense coming from Deb. She's been guilty over killing LaGuerta and has been trying to cope all season by drinking. So she shows up in a drunken state overcome with guilt and wanting to confess what she did. Deb is a good person she can't live with the fact that she killed someone innocent. How is that jumping the shark?

Anyways great episode. Seems as though I say it every week but damn Jennifer Carpenter has been great this season thus far. The above mentioned scene where she's trying to confess especially was great tonight. The scenes with Dexter and Deb were good with him trying to convince her that she's a good person. I do think Dexter cares about what happens to Deb and not just to save his own ass but that he genuinely cares about her. It's a bit interesting finding out after all this time that even though Dexter obviously is a bad person that he was probably geared that direction in large part due to Harry/Vogel. Also liked Dexter scoping out the kill of the cannibal killer (Galuzzo) but found it a bit odd that when he took him out it didn't show the kill.

Spoilers for what I think will happen later in the season:
Spoiler:
I do agree with a prediction that someone made in an earlier thread and think it seems like Vogel is trying to get Dexter to think that Deb is guilty and that he needs to put her down. It seems somewhat obvious that she either is The Brain Surgeon Killer or knows who he/she is.

I'm loving this show this season though and am really glad that it seems to be getting a fitting ending. As long as the quality stays as good as these past three episodes for the remaining nine we should be good (and the trailer for episode four looked better than anything we've seen).
Old 07-14-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I enjoyed the episode. I've come to expect that any major event that threatens Dexter will somehow go his way. I'm sort of expecting the series to end that way too. Also, I hope we don't have a serial killer of the week thing going on.
Old 07-14-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that Dexter found another killer just by going through Vogel's old cases. I wonder if perhaps she is using him to clean up some of her messes.
Old 07-14-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86

Spoilers for what I think will happen later in the season:
Spoiler:
I do agree with a prediction that someone made in an earlier thread and think it seems like Vogel is trying to get Dexter to think that Deb is guilty and that he needs to put her down. It seems somewhat obvious that she either is The Brain Surgeon Killer or knows who he/she is.

Spoiler:
Vogel planted the seeds that he doesn't really love her. He only loves himself. I think they are leading us down the path of Dexter killing Deb to save himself. I'm guessing that Vogel is going to try and help Deb but that it will ultimately fail and he will have to do what is necessary to survive.
Old 07-15-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Spoiler:
Vogel planted the seeds that he doesn't really love her. He only loves himself. I think they are leading us down the path of Dexter killing Deb to save himself. I'm guessing that Vogel is going to try and help Deb but that it will ultimately fail and he will have to do what is necessary to survive.
Spoiler:
It could be a stretch but I had sort of a crazy idea. Maybe by the time that Hannah comes back Vogel will have convinced Dexter that Deb needs to be killed but knows that he won't do it so instead convinces Hannah to do so. It would sort of make sense given the issues that Deb has caused for Hannah in the past that she'd want to get revenge and it would also be a way for her to get back at Dexter at the same time. Dexter finds out, takes out Hannah but is caught in the act by an agent of some sort who is looking for Hannah as she escaped prison.
Old 07-15-13, 12:21 AM

OK. Let me clarify:

Debra confessing, awesome and made huge amounts of sense.

Dexter being able to swoop in, drug his sister and then carry her out including the written confession- all types of stupid and ridiculous. Plus, Quinn hates Dexter and would have given way more credence to her testimony. I mean they have to be wondering why she quit, right??
Old 07-15-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK. Let me clarify:

Debra confessing, awesome and made huge amounts of sense.

Dexter being able to swoop in, drug his sister and then carry her out including the written confession- all types of stupid and ridiculous. Plus, Quinn hates Dexter and would have given way more credence to her testimony. I mean they have to be wondering why she quit, right??
I'm sure Quinn has questions in his head as to what happened to not only make Deb quit Miami Metro but also drive her and Dexter apart, especially since they were so close. It does seem that he and Dexter have a sort of respect for each other at this point though so I think he's just kind of minding his own business and trying to let them work their situation out and not get involved. I do think eventually something will happen that will trigger Quinn and possibly Batista to look into LaGuerta's death more.
Old 07-15-13, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus, Quinn hates Dexter and would have given way more credence to her testimony.
Quinn hasn't hated Dexter since Dexter saved his ass at the end of Season Five.
Old 07-15-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

at the Fitness guy being a cannibal.

Loved when Dexter broke into his house and discovered all the "evidence."

at how repulsed Dexter was by him.

With Deb being wasted as shit, there is no way anyone in Miami Metro, including Angel and Matthews, who would take her confession seriously. They would just attribute it to PTSD and depression as Vogel said.
Old 07-15-13, 02:28 AM

So, several scenes are implying that Dexter might not really be a psychopath? I wonder if this ends in some kind of redemption (despite tonights ending).

Spoiler:
Or as the sneak previews suggest, he will eliminate Vogel

As for Deb confessing, it makes sense and i felt that the season was building towards a confession. My only problem is that it was handled so quickly and too easily, but like Mike86 said this could trigger a Batista/Quinn to look into LaGuerta's death.

They're doing a good job at disguising their direction this season.
Old 07-15-13, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vogel is definitely pushing Dexter towards putting Deb on the table. I don't think Vogel is going to help Deb; she is either going to push Deb towards doing something that Dexter will have to react (table) to or try to make Deb into a psychopath.
Old 07-15-13, 08:03 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The Deb thing may make sense, but yeah, not sure how he carried her out on his shoulder without a single person seeing. I just hope something changes so Deb comes around at least a little; hard to watch the final season with her so wildly different. At least Dexter got a real bad guy on his table.

Quinn's really come around for me. I like how he told Dexter because he was genuinely worried for Deb, but didn't tell Bautista that was the reason he was late. Also there really did seem to be a lingering look from him, like maybe something's starting to make him wonder about Deb's confession...
Old 07-15-13, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think Dexter drugging her and carrying her out with the confession with no one seeing was a stretch but it's on par with the suspension of disbelief that we have come to expect from this show.

Quinn doesn't hate Dexter. It's actually become abundantly clear how much he respects Dexter.

I think Quinn picked up on the survivors guilt and realized that was why she quit and why she's fallen down this hole. If you were in Quinn's spot it would make more sense than believing that she pulled the trigger on Laguerta.
Old 07-15-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think there is going to be any investigation into LaGuerta's death. It sounded like they did a good job of covering it up. Quinn is a moron so he totally believes Dexter and Vogel. Plus, he still loves Deb. It would be a stretch to have him start looking into the case.
Old 07-15-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Spoiler:
It could be a stretch but I had sort of a crazy idea. Maybe by the time that Hannah comes back Vogel will have convinced Dexter that Deb needs to be killed but knows that he won't do it so instead convinces Hannah to do so. It would sort of make sense given the issues that Deb has caused for Hannah in the past that she'd want to get revenge and it would also be a way for her to get back at Dexter at the same time. Dexter finds out, takes out Hannah but is caught in the act by an agent of some sort who is looking for Hannah as she escaped prison.
Spoiler:
That would be interesting but I don't see that happening at all. Here's how I think it will play out....Dexter realizes that Vogel is right. He only has selfish love. Dexter will kill Deb and Vogel, destroying all evidence that Vogel has of him and thus makes him completely free to reestablish the code. We of course will have to ignore Lumen and Hannah. The show ends with the camera moving towards a piece of evidence that Dexter missed. Fade to Black.
Old 07-15-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A serial killer/blood splatter analyst was disgusted by the finger in the soup.

I found that funny as hell.
Old 07-15-13, 12:37 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
at the Fitness guy being a cannibal.

Loved when Dexter broke into his house and discovered all the "evidence."

With Deb being wasted as shit, there is no way anyone in Miami Metro, including Angel and Matthews, who would take her confession seriously. They would just attribute it to PTSD and depression as Vogel said.
Originally Posted by boogieman03

A serial killer/blood splatter analyst was disgusted by the finger in the soup.

I found that funny as hell.
I'm glad you guys found humor in that. I thought it was hilarious as well. His face was gold.
Old 07-15-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Deb was sure lucky she wasn't found drunkenly knocking off Florida parking meters by this guy:

Old 07-15-13, 02:26 PM

Here is my prediction for the ending of Dexter

Spoiler:
Dexter realizes that he is NOT a psychopath but programmed to be one by his dad and Vogel. Huge stretch but I think they are going that way. Maybe they will couch it as Dexter's love for Deb "cured him". Regardless I think Dexter realizes he is not a psychopath, and that his "dark passenger" is actually the brainwashing done by Vogel and his father. So for his last kill, he has Vogel on the table and when he kills her he kills his dark passenger as well. He then lives happily ever after with his family with no one being the wiser.
Old 07-15-13, 03:10 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is my prediction for the ending of Dexter

Spoiler:
Dexter realizes that he is NOT a psychopath but programmed to be one by his dad and Vogel. Huge stretch but I think they are going that way. Maybe they will couch it as Dexter's love for Deb "cured him". Regardless I think Dexter realizes he is not a psychopath, and that his "dark passenger" is actually the brainwashing done by Vogel and his father. So for his last kill, he has Vogel on the table and when he kills her he kills his dark passenger as well. He then lives happily ever after with his family with no one being the wiser.
I'd actually be just fine with that ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.