Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Siberia -- Season Thread -- Summer 2013 (NBC)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-01-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,649 Likes on 1,209 Posts

In 1908, an unexplained event occurred deep in the remote Siberian territory of Tunguska. Now, 100+ years later, 16 reality-show participants descend on Tunguska unknowing of the land's mysterious past. These contestants, from varied walks of life, will attempt to battle the elements and each other in a quest to survive the harsh winter and claim a large cash prize. What is initially met with unbridled enthusiasm quickly turns to sheer panic as a series of strange events begin to occur. The contestants soon attribute the occurrences to ruses set up by the producers, even dismissing the death of a fellow contestant as accidental. When a contestant is badly injured and no help arrives, the contestants meet the chilling realization that the strange occurrences are not part of the show. With their safety threatened, competing contestants must band together in an effort to survive.

Here are the "Contestants"

http://www.nbc.com/siberia/contestants/

Preview:

<iframe src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n37717" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 07-02-13, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Siberia -- Season Thread -- Summer 2013 (NBC)

When does (did) this start? I'd like to check it out.
Old 07-02-13, 07:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
When does (did) this start? I'd like to check it out.
Last night.

It was okay. Since nothing else is on I'll stick with it for now.
Old 07-02-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 140 Posts

Does it repeat this weekend?
Old 07-02-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was surprised it was available on Free On Demand before the first episode aired last night.
Old 07-02-13, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I caught this knowing nothing about it at all. I thought it was real, for a while, then I thought maybe the "contestants" thought it was real and they were just trying to scare them, which seemed kinda cool. But when I realized it all was scripted/fake, I checked out.
Old 07-02-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by JCWBobC View Post
I was surprised it was available on Free On Demand before the first episode aired last night.
NBC.com had the premiere episode available to view online since last Monday so I'm guessing thats the reason it was made available early to watch via Free On Demand. It was also made available via Hulu.com too - starting last Wednesday. Unfortunately I didn't know that NBC allowed Hulu.com to show their premieres early so I watched the episode on NBC.com and had to watch it on a very small "screen" which I couldn't enlarge - made the viewing tough especially if you need close captioning.

I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows so I'm sticking around. Enjoyed the episode aside from the fact that they killed off one of my favorites. Couldn't they have killed off the older fella instead?-the one that wasn't Sam. (Sam is the bald mobster looking dude who was translating what the injuried Russian cameraman was saying.)

Luckly I didn't get sucked in by thinking the show was real like some thought - well before the killing took place. Figured NBC wouldn't have two similar competition shows (this one and the one hosted by Bear Grylls that starts next Monday) airing back to back so I looked up Siberia and found out someone dies at the end of the episode and then I knew Siberia was a scripted one.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 07-02-13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-02-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 171 Likes on 140 Posts

This kinda seems like NBC's version of The River.
Old 07-02-13, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by LaxBandit View Post
NBC.com had the premiere episode available to view online since last Monday so I'm guessing thats the reason it was made available early to watch via Free On Demand. It was also made available via Hulu.com too - starting last Wednesday. Unfortunately I didn't know that NBC allowed Hulu.com to show their premieres early so I watched the episode on NBC.com and had to watch it on a very small "screen" which I couldn't enlarge - made the viewing tough especially if you need close captioning.

I'm a sucker for these kinds of shows so I'm sticking around. Enjoyed the episode aside from the fact that they killed off one of my favorites. Couldn't they have killed off the older fella instead?-the one that wasn't Sam. (Sam is the bald mobster looking dude who was translating what the injuried Russian cameraman was saying.)

Luckly I didn't get sucked in by thinking the show was real like some thought - well before the killing took place. Figured NBC wouldn't have two similar competition shows (this one and the one hosted by Bear Grylls that starts next Monday) airing back to back so I looked up Siberia and found out someone dies at the end of the episode and then I knew Siberia was a scripted one.
It was clear that he was going to die based on the fact he was the only character they fleshed out enough to make you have an emotional connection to. If the bald guy was the one who helped the kid get to the cabin, then you would have felt bad if he died too. Hopefully the major events in future episodes won't be so telegraphed.
Old 07-02-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 172 Posts

I didn't know it was scripted until about ten minutes in when the one guy hurt his ankle and did the worst job of fake limping I ever saw on a tv show.

After thinking about it I remember the commercials for this
and making it seem as if the contestants/actors don't know it's scripted but the producers do.

I don't get the point of a scripted "Survivor" show.
Old 07-02-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I read that they apparently filmed a 2nd season in Canada and it just wrapped recently. Doesn't mean it will air on NBC though.
Old 07-03-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 386 Posts

I had no clue before watching that it was completely scripted, but there were too many unusual "quirks" inserted into one episode for an actual reality show. I would be more interested if a few of the contestants were real participants.
Old 07-03-13, 08:19 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was bummed since I have always thought a reality show where things go 'horribly wrong' but it's actually just a setup by the producers would be a great idea for a show, and this seemed to be that type of show going in but instead it's just a twist on the found footage genre.
Old 07-03-13, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
I didn't know it was scripted until about ten minutes in when the one guy hurt his ankle and did the worst job of fake limping I ever saw on a tv show.

After thinking about it I remember the commercials for this
and making it seem as if the contestants/actors don't know it's scripted but the producers do.

I don't get the point of a scripted "Survivor" show.
Come on. Who among us hasn't dreamed of "Survivor gone horribly wrong" or filmed in a truly harsh environment, with no rice and beans. But they can't ignore the safety of contestants (or actors) so it all has to be fake.

This is as close as it gets. We'll see whether it is entertaining or not.
Old 07-05-13, 04:37 AM
Banned

Not groundbreaking by any stretch, but we found it entertaining enough to keep watching.
Old 07-05-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Enjoyed the pilot quite a bit, I'm in.
Old 07-06-13, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Loved it, can't wait for the next episode. However as usual I laugh at the people who for one second thought this was real.

It's the Blair Witch all over again. At what point do you think you'll ever see someone actually die while filming something and then they'll actually air it? Never happen.
Old 07-07-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow View Post
Loved it, can't wait for the next episode. However as usual I laugh at the people who for one second thought this was real.

It's the Blair Witch all over again. At what point do you think you'll ever see someone actually die while filming something and then they'll actually air it? Never happen.
I could see a show airing a death, but it would be heavily advertised beforehand with media coverage and shown with heavy disclaimers and warnings. If there are no warnings or disclaimers, that is a dead giveaway it is staged.
Old 07-07-13, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I read that they apparently filmed a 2nd season in Canada and it just wrapped recently. Doesn't mean it will air on NBC though.
Do you remember where you read that? Can't find any info online.

I actually liked this show. Pretty decent. The previews make it look far more sci-fi-ish....but I'll stick around.
Old 07-07-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Do you remember where you read that? Can't find any info online.

I actually liked this show. Pretty decent. The previews make it look far more sci-fi-ish....but I'll stick around.
It wasn't anything official. I think it was a Canadian poster on the Siberia Facebook page.
Old 07-09-13, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not really engaging at all. Not good when you are hoping more deaths occur.
I liked Harper's Island better.
Old 07-09-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

After an intriguing start the second episode was pretty weak with characters doing stupid things for no good reason.

As for the cave art and mystery girl Sabine here's my guess:

Spoiler:
She's descended from the natives who used to hunt the scary yeti/alien/smoke monster and has returned to finish off the last of its kind.
Old 07-10-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The only reasons to keep watching at this point are the extremely attractive female cast members. A couple of them must have been real models at some point.
Old 07-20-13, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is one of those shows where nothing happens until the last 5 minutes
Old 07-22-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
The only reasons to keep watching at this point are the extremely attractive female cast members. A couple of them must have been real models at some point.
The Kate Beckinsale lookalike is my favorite. And since she got naked last episode hopefully they will have an uncensored Blu-Ray release.
This show is so much like Survivor that we almost need a DVD Talk Siberia game for it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.