Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Old 07-01-13, 08:41 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,314
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I think this new serial killer has something to do with Dr. Vogel... probably an old patient and she will ask Dexter to find him. If its the killer turns out to me Dr. Vogel, Im not sure I would be too happy about that.

Im really curious to see how Dr. Vogel is tied in with Harry and Matthewson. Great Start to the season finally.
Old 07-01-13, 09:37 AM
  #27  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
And also I have a couple of plot holes about this first episode that I just thought of:

Spoiler:
How can Deb be an "undercover agent" when she was Captain of Miami Metro and had her face all over the news constantly? Everyone knew who she was - unless Briggs never watched TV??\
Not to mention she went viral when she went on a profanity tirade on live tv.
Old 07-01-13, 03:09 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 15,094
Received 349 Likes on 246 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Yeah, Deb going undercover is a big stretch - when her face was plastered on TV.

Although I suspected Vogel was there because of Dexter (thinking maybe Mathews asked for help in looking into Dexter... or not), her knowledge of Harry's Code was a nice twist. It's pretty obvious Harry went to her for help or something along those lines.

Interesting that they jumped 6 months in timeline. It gets a lot of the stuff out of the way I guess to get a nice series finale going.
Old 07-01-13, 03:19 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: STL
Posts: 3,197
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I like that Harrison aged like 2-3 years in 6 months.
Old 07-01-13, 03:22 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
uteotw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: All the Way to Reno
Posts: 4,655
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Although I suspected Vogel was there because of Dexter (thinking maybe Mathews asked for help in looking into Dexter... or not), her knowledge of Harry's Code was a nice twist. It's pretty obvious Harry went to her for help or something along those lines.
If that's the case, and it very well could be, then Dexter was pretty obvious with all his "Why is she here? I'm trying to decide if she's an asset" talk with Matthews, while Matthews played it perfectly straight (which was always Dexter's strength). Great start to the season.
Old 07-01-13, 03:24 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk God
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 69,924
Received 1,772 Likes on 1,304 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Harrison looks no more than 4-5 years old. It works fine with the timeline. Rita died in the season 4 finale, which was in 2009 and Harrison was only a toddler.
Old 07-01-13, 03:46 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 23,148
Received 734 Likes on 600 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
I like that Harrison aged like 2-3 years in 6 months.
He still seems pretty young on the series. I would guess around 3 or 4 or so at this point which should be about right. It's not like he was still a baby in the last season he's been around toddler age for a while.
Old 07-01-13, 03:54 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,022
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I do think Harrison had more lines in last night's episode than he's had in the entire series up to this point.
Old 07-01-13, 04:37 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: switzerland
Posts: 250
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

So all that Rhys Coiro gets is one episode?

I think Jennifer is really starting to come out on top of this show.
Old 07-01-13, 07:46 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 362
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

why would showtime put this episode on itunes for free?
Old 07-01-13, 07:57 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,942
Received 170 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by lacubs View Post
why would showtime put this episode on itunes for free?
So you'll get hooked after 1 episode and then subscribe to Showtime to watch the rest of the season!

Regarding Harrison's age, it looks like they pulled an Owen from Party of Five. So did Harrison ever get into that religious pre-school Dexter was trying to get him into?
Old 07-01-13, 09:12 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,022
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by windom View Post
So you'll get hooked after 1 episode and then subscribe to Showtime to watch the rest of the season!

Regarding Harrison's age, it looks like they pulled an Owen from Party of Five. So did Harrison ever get into that religious pre-school Dexter was trying to get him into?
They should probably revisit that plot point. Also, what's going on with Angel's restaurant?
Old 07-01-13, 11:07 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US
Posts: 9,631
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I think the restaurant is an orphan, after angel said that marias death made him want to come back and hunt bad guys.
Old 07-02-13, 01:14 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,551
Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I think Dexter lost his burgeoning interest in religion shortly after that season ended.

It looks like Angel decided not to retire, so he won't be running the restaurant.

As far as Harrison's age goes, I think Dexter sort of moves more or less in "real time" so him being about five seems appropriate. Dexter usually seems to run a 'gap' between seasons (I think that 4-5 and 6-7) are the exceptions. When dealing with small children on ongoing television series, it's probably best to just suspend disbelief and try not to do too much math.
Old 07-02-13, 07:33 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,022
Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Oh, I know Angel abandoned th restaurant, but who took it over? Might they be having issues with the grease traps or a crooked health inspector? I can't believe they just abandoned all that story potential.
Old 07-02-13, 09:18 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
mickey65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,436
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

From the IMDB message board.Someone's interesting take on this season:

Spoiler:
So, after watching last night's premiere and deciding that everything about the episode just seemed totally off - I have come to the conclusion that Dexter has been in a coma for the past 6 months as a result of Deborah shooting HIM in the shipping container in 7/12 and not LaGuerta. And season 8 is now his purgatory to heaven or hell(likely hell since there's no way he'd ever go to heaven)as Deb and/or Harrison have to decide whether to take him off of life support or not. And, to top it all off, whatever Dexter is doing during the season is actually DEB doing it in real life, as her guilt has forced her to try to carry on Dexter's legacy in memorium of him. Sadly, she will ultimately fail and by the end of E12, Dexter and Deborah will both be dead (title: Remember the Monsters)

Some off things last night:
- 6 months after LaGuerta's supposed murder and no mention of how they framed it, the immediate aftermath, how Deb fell apart? Deb, while always falling apart initially, always seems to get it together like a day or two after she falls apart. I can see her living in total guilt like this having possibly killed Dexter(her rock, her true love in all honesty) instead of LaGuerta.

- Quinn and Dexter getting along and talking? Never happens

- Dexter yelling at Harrison so blatantly, which he has never ever done.

- I see the brain surgeon killer and the scoooping of the brain as the decision whether or not to preserve Dexter's brain for further psychological study

- And then, there is Dr. Vogel. Why, after 30-something years would she just now be coming to MM to help solve a case knowing full well who and what Dexter is? That last scene last night was very strange - the clouded skies, the broken kite(no father(Dexter) there to teach Harrison how to do it?)), and Dexter sitting on the bench getting the drawings he did as a child from Vogel. The entire scene just seemed like a dream sequence.

I understand that the writers want to show Dexter falling apart more and more. But, as I think about it, I feel like we are supposed to see everything through Deb's point of view since the shipping container and she is acting out through Dexter on the screen. This will get her either caught or killed shortly after the plug on Dexter is pulled.

Thoughts? I know I may be way off, but I just have a feeling this is the way it will go or something like this.

Old 07-02-13, 09:43 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,083
Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

If that were to be for real, it would be incredibly fucking lame.
Old 07-02-13, 09:50 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 38,551
Received 1,331 Likes on 960 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Yes, final season of Lost lame.
Old 07-02-13, 10:16 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,719
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

My E01 observations:

- too much lazy dialogue. We get it: it's been SIX MONTHS! Or "That's the guy" voiceover five seconds after we see Dexter searching for Deb's jewel thief target
- Aimee Garcia is very attractive but her visible rib cage and protruding spine took me out the "moment" briefly
- I like the Vogel character (and Rampling's delivery) and was pleased with her reveal (of sorts) so early in the season
- I'm liking down-and-out-angry-at-Dexter Deb very much
- More Deputy Chief Matthews is always good

Bring on S08.....
Old 07-02-13, 10:39 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,314
Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
My E01 observations:

- too much lazy dialogue. We get it: it's been SIX MONTHS! Or "That's the guy" voiceover five seconds after we see Dexter searching for Deb's jewel thief target
- Aimee Garcia is very attractive but her visible rib cage and protruding spine took me out the "moment" briefly
- I like the Vogel character (and Rampling's delivery) and was pleased with her reveal (of sorts) so early in the season
- I'm liking down-and-out-angry-at-Dexter Deb very much
- More Deputy Chief Matthews is always good

Bring on S08.....

Aimee is attractive, but why in the hell would you be looking at her spine/rib cage... she was moving like a pro. lol
Old 07-02-13, 10:43 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Pointyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Formerly known as "12thmonkey"/Frankfort, IL
Posts: 7,719
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by csant View Post
Aimee is attractive, but why in the hell would you be looking at her spine/rib cage... she was moving like a pro. lol
It was unavoidable when she was getting dressed. The rest was fine....
Old 07-02-13, 10:45 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 2,563
Likes: 0
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I liked the Vogel stuff but the rest of the episode was a little underwhelming. I'm getting a little tired of Deb's emotional scenes and I thought it was a little strange that it would take six months for Dexter to find out that she hates his guts. I'm in for the ride at this point, but this first episode was a slight disappointment for me.
Old 07-02-13, 05:59 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
philo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: under the sofa cushions
Posts: 963
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

I agree with the disappointment. I didn't see anything that convinced me this would be a stellar final season after the last couple of lackluster ones. They've so completely soiled the Deb Dexter sibling relationship I just can't see the show ending in a satisfying way. I was hoping Dexter would gradually develop and move out of his need to kill but it seems the writers want to take him in the opposite direction.

I hope they don't end up having Dexter die with his son left in a pool of blood echoing his own past with Deb left to teach him a new code.
Old 07-03-13, 10:10 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Raul3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Picture a cup in the middle of the sea
Posts: 10,706
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
From the IMDB message board.Someone's interesting take on this season:

Spoiler:
So, after watching last night's premiere and deciding that everything about the episode just seemed totally off - I have come to the conclusion that Dexter has been in a coma for the past 6 months as a result of Deborah shooting HIM in the shipping container in 7/12 and not LaGuerta. And season 8 is now his purgatory to heaven or hell(likely hell since there's no way he'd ever go to heaven)as Deb and/or Harrison have to decide whether to take him off of life support or not. And, to top it all off, whatever Dexter is doing during the season is actually DEB doing it in real life, as her guilt has forced her to try to carry on Dexter's legacy in memorium of him. Sadly, she will ultimately fail and by the end of E12, Dexter and Deborah will both be dead (title: Remember the Monsters)

Some off things last night:
- 6 months after LaGuerta's supposed murder and no mention of how they framed it, the immediate aftermath, how Deb fell apart? Deb, while always falling apart initially, always seems to get it together like a day or two after she falls apart. I can see her living in total guilt like this having possibly killed Dexter(her rock, her true love in all honesty) instead of LaGuerta.

- Quinn and Dexter getting along and talking? Never happens

- Dexter yelling at Harrison so blatantly, which he has never ever done.

- I see the brain surgeon killer and the scoooping of the brain as the decision whether or not to preserve Dexter's brain for further psychological study

- And then, there is Dr. Vogel. Why, after 30-something years would she just now be coming to MM to help solve a case knowing full well who and what Dexter is? That last scene last night was very strange - the clouded skies, the broken kite(no father(Dexter) there to teach Harrison how to do it?)), and Dexter sitting on the bench getting the drawings he did as a child from Vogel. The entire scene just seemed like a dream sequence.

I understand that the writers want to show Dexter falling apart more and more. But, as I think about it, I feel like we are supposed to see everything through Deb's point of view since the shipping container and she is acting out through Dexter on the screen. This will get her either caught or killed shortly after the plug on Dexter is pulled.

Thoughts? I know I may be way off, but I just have a feeling this is the way it will go or something like this.

LOL?

Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post
My E01 observations:


- Aimee Garcia is very attractive but her visible rib cage and protruding spine took me out the "moment" briefly
You couldn't finish either?
I mean, yeah, I agree.
Old 07-03-13, 10:32 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Marina Del Rey, California
Posts: 10,044
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Dexter -- Season Premiere -- "A Beautiful Day" -- 6/30/13

Great start. I'm very excited to see how this plays out.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.