Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Orange is the new Black - Season 1 Thread - 7/11/13 (Netflix) - from creator of Weeds

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Orange is the new Black - Season 1 Thread - 7/11/13 (Netflix) - from creator of Weeds

Old 08-03-13, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Orange is the new Black -- from the creator of Weeds -- 7/11/13 (Netflix)

Originally Posted by Patrick_N
To me Yoga Jones totally looks like Carmella Soprano ca 2030.

I thought the same thing.
Old 08-03-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Did they ever show Crazy Eyes flashback story? I don't recall seeing it.
They did have her white parents visit, and we saw flashes of a once-intelligent girl.
Old 08-03-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure no one will agree with me, but Piper reminds me a lot of Ally McBeal. (Not comparing shows, but characters).
Old 08-04-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She reminds me of Alicia Silverstone because of her mouth.
Old 08-08-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me, the only part of the show that kills things for me is Natasha Lyonne. I actually have to pretend that Natasha Lyonne herself has gotten into some federal trouble for the show to work for me.

As far as Biggs goes, I can see how he would have a similar impact and how you could say he's just doing more pie fucker-style stuff. I think the lack of chemistry with the main character was the point, though.
Old 08-08-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Natasha is excellent in this. While it might not be the best television show, it's definitely one of the most enjoyable and addictive. I enjoyed this so much and miss it so much, that I am finding it difficult to get into House of Cards.
Old 08-08-13, 09:52 PM
Banned

What is it ?
Old 08-08-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I finished the first season yesterday, and found it pretty enjoyable. Nothing particularly screams out as a must watch to me, but its just solid entertainment. The quality of acting for most of the girls impresses me quite a bit; there was a scene in the middle with Taystee and Poussey mocking white people that I thought was fantastic. The woman playing Crazy Eyes is absolutely amazing as well.
Old 08-08-13, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I think Natasha is excellent in this. While it might not be the best television show, it's definitely one of the most enjoyable and addictive. I enjoyed this so much and miss it so much, that I am finding it difficult to get into House of Cards.
It's not that she's bad so much as she in no way disappears into character like for instance Laura Prepon does.
Old 08-08-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Same thing for me. Been slowly watching House of Cards.
Old 08-09-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Moopher
Same thing for me. Been slowly watching House of Cards.
wow... I burned through that program the first weekend it was on... top notch IMO... and I enjoyed OITNB too
Old 08-09-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lewisb73
wow... I burned through that program the first weekend it was on... top notch IMO... and I enjoyed OITNB too
House of Cards was awesome even down to Robin Wright, an actress I have never really enjoyed prior to this.
Old 08-09-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by lewisb73

Same here.

Have you seen the BBC version of HoC? It's on Netflix Streaming. I have it in my queue.
Old 08-14-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Awwwe...

Laura Prepon Is Leaving “Orange Is The New Black” (For Now, At Least)

Story Here

Prepon will come back for a limited number of episodes in the show’s 13-episode second season in order to resolve her story. And the door will be left often for her to return in the future. But the actress did not sign a contract tying her to the show for the upcoming season.
Old 08-14-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well...shit.

I hope this is actually related to what will serve the second season and not other interests (still mad about Donald Glover and Community).
Old 08-14-13, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Prepon, but watch the show mostly for "Piper" but that is still a pretty big loss to me. I think her character was good for the show.

What in the world does Prepon have going on that she wouldn't have a few months a year to knock out a few seasons of this show anyway? These 12/13 episode shows leave plenty of time to do movies. Does she even make any of those?

Other than a guest spot on House, I haven't really seen very much of her since That 70's Show. Shame she's walking away from a really good television show. I think it's better than House of Cards, but even if it's not, it sure was more fun to watch.
Old 08-14-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The case you lay out, dolphinboy, suggests to me that this at worst was them having a low-grade salary dispute and resolving it by working out her money so that she got what she wanted per episode but she got fewer eps. As long as we get her in at least 7 of the 13, I don't know her presence will really be missed all that much. It could really also be that if the next season is about her not being with Piper they really want to make it stick and want to reduce her profile (only to bring her back in the 3rd season?).

If this were a Issac Hayes-style Scientology is making me do this situation she wouldn't be coming back.
Old 08-14-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The case you lay out, dolphinboy, suggests to me that this at worst was them having a low-grade salary dispute and resolving it by working out her money so that she got what she wanted per episode but she got fewer eps. As long as we get her in at least 7 of the 13, I don't know her presence will really be missed all that much. It could really also be that if the next season is about her not being with Piper they really want to make it stick and want to reduce her profile (only to bring her back in the 3rd season?).

If this were a Issac Hayes-style Scientology is making me do this situation she wouldn't be coming back.
Maybe, I don't know. Considering her career post That 70's Show and that she has nothing new even listed on imdb, you have to wonder what exactly Laura Prepon is worth per episode. You'd think, even if she felt somewhat underpaid, that the exposure of being on a pretty successful and popular show might actually get her other jobs to make more money than she is right now, sitting home on the sofa watching Big Brother on her DVR.
Old 08-15-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I just finished up the season about 5 minutes. It's a damn fine show.

Cons (pardon the pun): Taylor Schilling. She is not sympathetic at all. I could never get into her vapid and "waspy" character. Boo-hoo, I'm a rich white girl with problems, etc. I don't care.

Pros: Everyone else. The supporting cast was great.

I do look forward to season 2.
Old 08-16-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Rumor about Laura Prepon is her boyfriend (Christopher Masterson) convinced her to leave to work on his project.
Old 08-16-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I like Prepon, but watch the show mostly for "Piper" but that is still a pretty big loss to me. I think her character was good for the show.

What in the world does Prepon have going on that she wouldn't have a few months a year to knock out a few seasons of this show anyway? These 12/13 episode shows leave plenty of time to do movies. Does she even make any of those?

Other than a guest spot on House, I haven't really seen very much of her since That 70's Show. Shame she's walking away from a really good television show. I think it's better than House of Cards, but even if it's not, it sure was more fun to watch.
Prepon was in that short-lived October Road series--obviously not a conflict now. She was hilarious in a one-episode guest spot on Castle.
Old 08-16-13, 11:42 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That article doesn't actually say that the change was Prepon's choice. Could be necessary for a story arc the writers want to do.
Old 08-16-13, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
That article doesn't actually say that the change was Prepon's choice. Could be necessary for a story arc the writers want to do.
I agree, but the reporting doesn't seem to make that case at all. Then again, entertainment reporting is the crappiest form of journalism around. They never seem to get it right.
Old 08-18-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Just finished this up.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this. Sure, it's no Breaking Bad or Mad Men - but what is? But it's much more thoughtful than Weeds ever was. It has some funny moments without being stupid, and there were some decent dramatic scenes. I liked how the show doesn't solely take place in prison, that we see the outside world as well - otherwise it'd feel way too claustrophobic for a show.

I also appreciate that there aren't just 5 or 8 characters - we have a large amount of them... and getting to see the backstories on a lot of the prisoners makes it more interesting.

And I just realized that Caputo is played by the actor who played Waxey Gordon on Boardwalk Empire.
Old 08-18-13, 06:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Rumor about Laura Prepon is her boyfriend (Christopher Masterson) convinced her to leave to work on his project.
Wait, they're dating?!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.