Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Mad Men -- Season Finale -- "In Care Of" -- 6/23/13

Synopsis:

Don has a problem

Episode 13 of 13

Mad Men will be back in Spring 2014 for it's final season.
Old 06-23-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mad Men -- Season Finale -- "In Care Of" -- 6/23/13

Love how shitty everything is for Pete
Old 06-23-13, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best synopsis ever.
Old 06-23-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

!!!W O W!!!

Doug
Old 06-23-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

My DirecTV decided to cut in and out during the last five minutes. Who was it that Duck was bringing into the office?
Old 06-23-13, 10:16 PM
Banned

LOL. How many thought Megan was dead as soon as she stormed out of the apartment?

Did not see Don getting kicked out. I guess he has been fucking things up more than usual this season, though. And losing Hershey would not be taken lightly.
Old 06-23-13, 10:59 PM

I think Don was just trying to pitch his ad for dark chocolate
Old 06-23-13, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don should have tried to tag some dark chocolate at the bar.
Old 06-23-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Really hoping a lot of the shortcommings of this season were due to things they needed to get set up for the final season. Worst season of the show by far with only 3 or 4 great episodes.

So why is Pete going to California? Is he the accounts man while Ted is the creative head? Do they have to share that one desk everyone kept talking about?
Old 06-24-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

That was a great episode with some very, very funny lines.
It's been a really uneven season, but it's still the most consistently interesting show on TV
Jon Hamm did some fine work this season, but his character was so incredibly unpleasant and awful that there's no way he wins an Emmy for this year's work. I'll pull for Cranston this year and hope Hamm finally wins one in the final season. Maybe the loss of James Gandolfini will remind voters that truly iconic TV characters don't come along every season and when an actor truly inhabits his character so fully and indelibly, it's a rare thing worthy of much praise and awards, despite any personal revulsion you might feel for that character's flaws.
Old 06-24-13, 12:23 AM

BTW : I'm sure a lot of you picked up on this, but last season ended in an elevator with a question to Don -- "Are you alone?". This season almost ended with another elevator question to Don -- "Going down?". I would have been fine if that were the final scene, but maybe Wiener felt that would have been too heavy-handed.

Who was that guy Duck was showing into the SC&P office? We must have seen him previously, since Don said he'd met him before.
Old 06-24-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Last season ended in a bar.
Old 06-24-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That was a great episode with some very, very funny lines.
It's been a really uneven season, but it's still the most consistently interesting show on TV
Jon Hamm did some fine work this season, but his character was so incredibly unpleasant and awful that there's no way he wins an Emmy for this year's work. I'll pull for Cranston this year and hope Hamm finally wins one in the final season. Maybe the loss of James Gandolfini will remind voters that truly iconic TV characters don't come along every season and when an actor truly inhabits his character so fully and indelibly, it's a rare thing worthy of much praise and awards, despite any personal revulsion you might feel for that character's flaws.
If Hamm won't win for an unpleasant character, what would make you think Cranston has a better chance?
Old 06-24-13, 12:31 AM
Banned

Jon Hamm did some fine work this season, but his character was so incredibly unpleasant and awful that there's no way he wins an Emmy for this year's work. I'll pull for Cranston this year
What the fuck?
Old 06-24-13, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
If Hamm won't win for an unpleasant character, what would make you think Cranston has a better chance?
The fact he's won three times already, mostly. The voters seem more comfortable with straight up anti-heroes than a deeply flawed complex character like Don Draper. At least that's what the past five seasons of Emmy voting has shown.
My thinking is if Cranston wins his fourth Emmy in September, there will be little sentiment to give him another next year after both he and Hamm have finished their respective runs. Not that I'd mind Hamm winning this year,; I just doubt it will happen.

Last edited by Decker; 06-24-13 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Good episode!

Although, count me in as not knowing who was with Duck, or how/why Pete is going to California.

Poor Peggy. Though I guess she shouldn't be fucking a married man based on 'promises.'

Also, I liked that Sally kind of looked sympathetic toward Don in that last scene.

One more also... Fuck AMC for ruining Both Sides Now in the closing credits by advertising The Killing.

Last edited by andicus; 06-24-13 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-24-13, 06:55 AM

BTW : I'm sure a lot of you picked up on this, but last season ended in an elevator with a question to Don -- "Are you alone?". This season almost ended with another elevator question to Don -- "Going down?". I would have been fine if that were the final scene, but maybe Wiener felt that would have been too heavy-handed.

Who was that guy Duck was showing into the SC&P office? We must have seen him previously, since Don said he'd met him before.
Originally Posted by Nesbit
Last season ended in a bar.
Nesbit is correct.

I enjoyed this season as a whole, but agree with the sentiment that it wasn't as strong as previous seasons.
Old 06-24-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn't Duck a head hunter now? I think he was bringing up a potential Don replacement.

As for Pete, he's going to California because he blew it with GM and he no longer has his apartment. He's moving on since he has nothing holding him in NY anymore, his Mom is dead, Trudy isn't getting back with him and he barely gets to see the kid.
Old 06-24-13, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07
Isn't Duck a head hunter now? I think he was bringing up a potential Don replacement.
We know that. We were wondering who that other guy was. Don said he knew him when Duck introduced him to Don at the elevator, so he must have appeared on the show previously.

Funny that last season ended in a bar. I haven't seen the episode since it aired, and I was convinced it ended with a "will Don cheat" cliffhanger. Memory playing tricks on me.
Old 06-24-13, 08:23 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

...and now Megan is off to California... to get killed by Charles Manson.
Old 06-24-13, 08:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

We know that. We were wondering who that other guy was. Don said he knew him when Duck introduced him to Don at the elevator, so he must have appeared on the show previously.

Funny that last season ended in a bar. I haven't seen the episode since it aired, and I was convinced it ended with a "will Don cheat" cliffhanger. Memory playing tricks on me.
He was the guy from the big agency that was making fun of Roger at the airport before they flew to Detroit. He said something about them losing Vicks.

EDIT: From Rolling Stone Article:

Lou Avery was the obnoxious rival adman who spilled the beans that Vick Chemical was leaving SCDP while Don and Roger were at the airport en route to pitch Chevy. As if that wasn't enough to bruise Don's ego, Lou twists the knife even further when he asks, "Going down?" He meant the elevator, but boy does that term have multiple meanings.
Old 06-24-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think it implied that the guy was on the show previously, it was that Don knew who he was and why he was there, to replace him.
Old 06-24-13, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Definitely a weak season for me, and not the greatest season finale either. So Don gave up CA to do one selfless thing for Ted? I guess that was nice, but not for his own wife. I hope we get to see Ted next season though--I liked his character.

The whole thing with Pete's mom had a "jumped the shark" [no pun] quality about it. So the weird gay(?) dude really married her then threw her overboard? Huh? Although my favorite line of the episode was: "She always loved the sea." Pete--such a great son and human being.

I'd say this is the first time I haven't been left going, "I can't believe this isn't going to be back until 20__!"
Old 06-24-13, 08:58 AM

What's funny is watchers of the show had always figured that 1968 was going to be a banner year for the show since so much happened historically that year. The only event they really did well was the RFK assassination, and that's because it was handled in an off-handed, surprising way (which makes sense since it happened so late at night on the East Coast). I really feel they struggled with their handling of the King assassination and the aftermath.
It really was a sort of down season for the show. It had a lot of been there, done that quality to it. Don covered a lot of territory that we've seen him cover before and better. I also really noticed a void without Jared Harris this year. His was the voice of decency and reason on the show and though I suppose you could say that Ted took his place, it still felt like a different place without him.
Old 06-24-13, 09:29 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I am again in the minority, I felt this season was excellent. Don Draper is truly the most fascinating and complex character to ever grace TV. I would be shocked if Jon Hamm doesn't win the Emmy this year.

That being said, I do hope AMC has enough sense to end the show at season 7 and not try to drag it out further. And please don't split the episodes...I really don't want to wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.