Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Luther Season 3 -- Fall 2013 (BBC America)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Luther Season 3 -- Fall 2013 (BBC America)

Old 08-28-13, 10:50 AM

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,786 Posts
Re: Luther Season 3 -- Fall 2013 (BBC America)

LONDON – It is looking good for fans of hard-hitting British cop drama Luther, starring Idris Elba, with a possible big-screen outing coming into focus.

With the BBC TV show created by Neil Cross ending after three seasons and the team ruling out more TV outings -- Elba was a producer as well as the show's star -- there is now talk of a movie version.

Cross has told British media that he is aiming to get a movie version made next year, having written a script as a prequel detailing how Elba's character, John Luther, ends up the dark, conflicted and hardened detective in the TV show.

The show creator said his script follows the detective's career in the earlier days, when he is still married to Zoe, and the final scene in the film is the first of the initial TV series.

The writer has already penned a prequel novel of sorts, The Calling, which focuses on a traumatic case involving a child killer and culminates in the detective receiving a seven-month suspension.

Cross told the Edinburgh International Television Festival last week that the TV show was finished because Elba is now an established movie star.

He plays Nelson Mandela in the upcoming biopic Long Walk To Freedom.

Earlier this year, Elba said he wanted to make a Luther film at a BAFTA preview for the third series, which aired on the BBC here and BBC America stateside earlier this year.

"We do want a new audience, but we also want to keep the fans interested, so we have to tread very carefully," Elba said at the BAFTA event.

The 40-year-old won a Golden Globe for best actor in a mini-series for his role in Luther, which made its debut on BBC One in 2011 and has become popular around the world.
Old 09-03-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,663 Likes on 1,220 Posts

FYI

Premieres tonight on BBC America

All 4 episodes will air this week. Tonight through Friday.
Old 09-04-13, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
FYI

Premieres tonight on BBC America

All 4 episodes will air this week. Tonight through Friday.
Thanks for pointing out its 4 nights in a row! I had no idea.
Old 09-19-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Just finished up season 3. It did nothing but enhance my four year old crush on Ruth Wilson.
Old 09-20-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm almost afraid to watch Ruth Wilson in anything else because I'd want her to be Alice.
Old 09-20-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikahC View Post
I'm almost afraid to watch Ruth Wilson in anything else because I'd want her to be Alice.
She's been terrific in just about everything I've seen her in. I thought she was the best thing in the Prisoner remake with Gandolf and Jesus. She certainly made enough of an impression on me to go look up who she was a full calendar year before Luther. I thought she was good in Small Island which aired on PBS in 2010. Also, even though it was a small part, I thought she stole every scene she was in in Anna Karenina. Her "breakout" performance was in the 2006 version of Jane Eyre.

As for the Lone Ranger...eh...but I don't think anyone could have done anything with that part. It was what it was.

Supposedly she'll be shooting a pilot for a Showtime show also starring Joshua Jackson and Dominic West sometime soon.

And then there is the always rumored Alice spinoff show...
Old 09-20-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to look up these things (thanks) because I haven't seen any of them -- including The Lone Ranger.

The Prisoner (2009)
Small Island (2009)
Anna Karenina (2009)
Jane Eyre (2006)

Selfishly speaking, I'm a little more hopeful of the Showtime pilot than an Alice spinoff.
Old 11-18-14, 11:25 AM

I guess I'll throw this here instead of a new thread...

Following this season's Broadchurch adaptation, Gracepoint, Fox is targeting Luther for its next British remake.

The network has handed out a hefty put-pilot commitment to Luther, an adaptation of the BBC's Emmy-nominated drama series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Fox's remake is based on the format created by Neil Cross and centers on John Luther (Idris Elba), a detective dedicated to solving crimes who finds his commitment to his duties both a blessing and a curse.

Cross is on board to pen the script and executive produce the Fox take, which hails from 20th Century Fox Television, Chernin Entertainment and original producers BBC Worldwide Productions. Chernin's Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope, BBC's Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner and Elba are also attached to executive produce.

Elba, who has been nominated for three outstanding lead actor in a miniseries Emmy Awards for his part, is not currently slated to have an on-screen role.

Luther, which ran for three seasons and 14 total episodes from 2010-2013, netted Elba a Golden Globe win in 2011 as well as a pair of NAACP prizes. The series has also received eight Emmy nominations, including two for outstanding miniseries. Luther is also a critical favorite and one of the BBC's highest-rated original series.

THR's chief TV critic Tim Goodman ranked Luther as the 19th-best cable drama of 2013. "In this third season, Luther was prone to more crazy twists than really necessary but otherwise had enough grit in the dialogue and more than enough material for Idris Elba to elevate with his magnificent acting and commanding presence," he wrote.

Luther in February spawned a Russian remake for Channel One in BBC Worldwide's first-ever deal for the format. The adaptation, called Klim, was picked up for eight episodes and is due to air in 2015.

The series also spawned a prequel novel, Cross' The Calling, which tells the story of the events leading up to the start of the TV series.

The Fox remake comes after Cross has been public about wanting to create a feature film prequel of the series. "We do want a new audience, but we also want to keep the fans interested, so we have to tread very carefully," Elba said of doing a Luther film.

Cross most recently exec produced and wrote NBC's summer pirate drama Crossbones, starring John Malkovich. On the film side, Cross penned Universal horror feature Mama, which has grossed more than $146 million worldwide.

For Chernin, Luther brings to 10 the number of sales for the production company this season. The company has seven other sales at Fox this season, including Jason Richman's Nod, as well as an untitled comedy from Max Greenfield and Jenny Bicks, as well as Bad Friends at NBC and My Cousin Thor at CBS.

Cross is repped by UTA, Michael McCoy at Independent Talent Group in the U.K. and attorney Fred Toczek at Felker Toczek.

Luther comes as TV and feature remakes have been a major theme of the current development season. Certainly working in Fox's favor is the name and brand recognition of the original series as well as the fact that its original creator is on board.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ebook_20141118
Old 11-18-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Coming soon to FOX

Luther starring Tyler Perry
Old 11-18-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Will watch if Elba reprises his role.
Old 11-18-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
Will watch if Elba reprises his role.
He's only an Executive Producer. I can't see him committing to an American TV series unless it's an extremely limited number of episodes.

I can't think of too many notable African American actors who could play John Luther.

Maybe?

Bryan White

Billy Brown
Old 11-18-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As hard as it would be to pull off Luther, I think pulling off Alice would be even more difficult. Just leave it alone.
Old 11-19-14, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bryan White lacks the necessary gravitas to play Luther. I always wanted to use that word in a sentence.
Old 11-19-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's only an Executive Producer. I can't see him committing to an American TV series unless it's an extremely limited number of episodes.
He is still pushing for a final wrap-up movie of Luther...so it's possible he could ink some sort of deal. He's been on several US shows before (The Office comes to mind). Nothing these days is "limited", because if it's a hit, they just keep adding episodes on.
Old 11-19-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't think of too many notable African American actors who could play John Luther.

Maybe?

Spoiler:

Bryan White
I finished re-watching The Shield and was wondering why this dude hasn't been higher profile. I'd agree with this choice.
Old 11-19-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't Gracepoint a huge disappointment? I loved the original series, but haven't gotten around to watching the US version. How is it?
Old 11-19-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting it came the day after the possibly US version.
Old 03-10-15, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...delayed-780165

Pilot for FOX is delayed. They are apparently having problems casting who will play John Luther.

According to this article Marlon Wayans was approached.

If this gets picked up, the soonest it could see the light of day would be midseason 2016.
Old 03-10-15, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has even less of a chance of succeeding than most remakes of British shows. Idris is Luther. I dont see many people being able to pull of that character as well as he does it.