TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So the guy who maimed Jaime is one of Bolton's men, yes? I would think there's retribution coming for that since Bolton is answering to Tywin now.
I doubt it. Bolton let him go, telling Jamie he would return him to King's Landing instead of returning him to Robb (he was Robb's close ally and seemed to be playing both sides here) in exchange for Jamie telling Tywin that Bolton had nothing to do with his maiming.

And since I'm a doctor, I'll tackle the de-penising question. The urethra comes out of the bladder, so wherever the penis was cut from, the urine would come out there -- you'd still have bladder control because the sphincter is located at the base of the bladder. (I had an Anatomy teacher who said "How long is the female urethra? About 3 cm. How long is the male urethra? As long as he says it is".). The bigger problem would be bleeding. It's an extremely vascular organ and seriously there probably would have been no way to stop Theon from exaguinating in that dungeon (as much as I was hoping for an end to that storyline). I've been informed by Samuel L Jackson that you'd bleed to death in 7-8 minutes.

So the big reveal to that never-ending torture was that it was exactly who we all thought it was? I guess there was some mystery kept so you wouldn't be so tipped off about Bolton's loyalty ( as I said, I already knew he was playing both sides). Still those book readers who kept telling me this much-loathed storyline would pay off : has that happened yet? Because if it has, color me disappointed.

Last edited by Decker; 06-10-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best quote of the episode from Melisandre (paraphrasing): "this war between the five kings is meaningless, the real war is up north. Death is marching on the wall." This seems to be a central theme of the show: the seven kingdoms are engaging in meaningless, time-wasting and needlessly bloody squabbles while serious enemies (army of the dead, giant slave army + dragons) gather on the borders. It was nice for someone to finally acknowledge it.

Also, I thought it was interesting that they implied that Bran believes he is destined to defeat the White Walkers. That was never mentioned anywhere previously as a motivation, was it?

Three book spoiler points, questions:

Spoiler:
Disappointed by no Coldhands introduction. Doesn't he help Sam and Gilly get under the Wall in the book? Can't remember...

Love the foreshadowing of Arya saying "valar dohralis" (or whatever) and the reappearance of the Faceless Man coin. Her story is going to get so good.

I realize the death of Joffrey would be too much to fit into this season, but this has been a relentlessly "good guys lose" series so far. Newbies might be wondering what the point of all of this is...

It's going to be hard to wait an entire year for this to return. Would it have killed them to do a two hour finale?
Old 06-10-13, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

That's a really good read.

I know all the book nerds want the material to stay true to the books, but if the seasons manage to catch up to the books, what's stopping Weiss and Benioff from creating a season of original material? I know the article says that Martin would prefer that not happen, but I think HBO could shell out some money to hire some of the best writers in Hollywood who can handle creating original fantasy material.

And like the article is saying that not all of the book material translates well to TV. Some key characters end up being MIA in certain books.

I do agree with this quote from Benioff. It's one of the issues I had with this season:

“The series has already reached a point where there are so many characters, particularly in season three we’re introducing so many new ones, we run the risk of bursting at the seams as we try to cram every single subplot and all the various characters and it becomes impossible on a budgetary level and it becomes impossible on an episode-basis to jump around every few minutes to 30 different characters and locations. We don’t want to do that, and recognize that as a real risk and we will take steps not to fall into that trap.”
With so many characters and subplots it made season 3 IMO a really difficult watch.
Old 06-10-13, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CRM114
What does the Hound stand to gain at this point by protecting Arya?
Who knows, maybe something as simple as it gives him a purpose. Otherwise he'd probably just be out raping and pillaging.
Old 06-10-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11

It's going to be hard to wait an entire year for this to return. Would it have killed them to do a two hour finale?
They are already realizing that they will likely catch up to the books before they are done, if anything they need to slow down.
Old 06-10-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm surprised that they haven't tried to milk a few more eps out of each season, considering the shows popularity.
Old 06-10-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by B.A.
I'm surprised that they haven't tried to milk a few more eps out of each season, considering the shows popularity.
The standard episode order for most popular shows on HBO is 12.

Weiss and Benioff have said that producing anymore than 10 per season and the show would suffer in quality. At least according to them.
Old 06-10-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent episode.

Maybe not a balls-out season finale with huge surprises, but trying to do one of those every season would be lame. Last week should have sufficed for that kind of thing.

I just hate that the season ended at all. Can't wait for next year.
Old 06-10-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So the guy who maimed Jaime is one of Bolton's men, yes? I would think there's retribution coming for that since Bolton is answering to Tywin now.
He was part of a group of hired men Bolton used to bolster his troops (the Bloody Mummers for those non-book readers). Bolton and the guy that cut Jamie not really on the best terms in the book and the show seems to alude to that also. So not really banner men but sell swords that Bolton has little use for now.
Old 06-10-13, 01:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mhysa Jar-Jar Binks!
Old 06-10-13, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They will never do a 2-year break between seasons. This show is money and HBO isn't going to let it wilt on the vine for that long.
They might not, but Martin could very well do that in terms of providing fresh source material.
Old 06-10-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I liked the episode overall... I like all of them!... It was nice to see an endearing scene between Tyrion and Sansa and Jaime's return to KL. I love how his character's are so well developed that you can go from absolutely hating them to hoping things turn out ok for them...

I'm glad they ended the season on a positive note, but...
Spoiler:
if you look at the throng of Dani's followers, that's a HUGE amount of people who have nothing materially that she has taken responsibility for as a leader. It's going to be a very difficult undertaking to provide for so many, and still will have to take on the merchants/priests, etc. in the city who will be trying to undermine her.

As far as next season goes, the event I'm most looking forward to is
Spoiler:
the big feast!
Old 06-10-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess Yara's not going on some 3 hour tour.
Old 06-10-13, 02:38 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The Starks and the Lannisters are right behind The Sopranos. With the Season 3 finale last night of HBO’s Game of Thrones, the show based on George R.R. Martin’s fantasy novels has become the second most watched series in HBO history behind Season 5 of David Chase’s Jersey mob show. With 5.4 million watching Sunday’s Game Of Thrones, the Season 3 finale was up 28% over the 4.2 million who watched the series’ Season 2 finale. Last night’s episode was the second most watched Game Of Thrones of the season after the 5.5 million HBO subscribers who tuned in for the May 5, 2013 airing. Over two plays last night, Game Of Thrones pulled in 6.3 million viewers in total. Overall Season 3 of Game Of Thrones averaged a gross audience of 13.6 million watching on linear plays, HBO On Demand, HBO GO and DVR. That’s up 2 million over Season 2. The 2004 season of The Sopranos holds the top spot for HBO with 14.4 million viewers on average.
Old 06-10-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11

Three book spoiler points, questions:

Spoiler:
Disappointed by no Coldhands introduction. Doesn't he help Sam and Gilly get under the Wall in the book? Can't remember...

Love the foreshadowing of Arya saying "valar dohralis" (or whatever) and the reappearance of the Faceless Man coin. Her story is going to get so good.

I realize the death of Joffrey would be too much to fit into this season, but this has been a relentlessly "good guys lose" series so far. Newbies might be wondering what the point of all of this is...

A response to your book 3 spoilers

Spoiler:
Which is why we needed Lady Stoneheart last night. I mean it made so much sense (All the resurrection/thoros/beric/lord of light stuff), and how LS actually was chronologically about 3 days to a week after the RW.
Old 06-10-13, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave99
Who knows, maybe something as simple as it gives him a purpose. Otherwise he'd probably just be out raping and pillaging.
He also took a liking to Arya's sister last season before he left Kings landing correct? Might not be good to kill her sister.
Old 06-10-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Dumbest post I've read about GoT. Hey it's not the way I want it to be so it'd no good. Please stop watching.
Now this is an idiotic comment. Just because the episode/finale didn't resonate with Superman, there was no need to call him out and say his post was stupid and he should stop watching.

Also, there is no need for the book fans to gloat that everything makes sense or act so dumbfounded when someone who doesn't follow the books finds something confusing or doesn't resonate with certain storyline elements. This isn't an easy show to watch and follow. I'm speaking from myself as a casual fan of Fantasy movies/shows who doesn't read the books.

I found the finale to be just okay and found season 3 overall to be a really difficult watch. Had to keep looking online to try to keep up with all the characters being introduced and all the storylines.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-10-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think astrofan is not a book reader. I know there has been quite the conversations about spoilers between him and others in these threads
Old 06-10-13, 03:46 PM

So I read the first book and half of the second book before they announced the HBO show. I stopped reading at this point figuring that HBO will do a good job and there are more good books for me to read than there are good TV shows to watch.

Turns out i was right, HBO is doing a great job on this show!

However, now I am just too curious and will read the remaining books.
Old 06-10-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Now this is an idiotic comment. Just because the episode/finale didn't resonate with Superman, there was no need to call him out and say his post was stupid and he should stop watching.

Also, there is no need for the book fans to gloat that everything makes sense or act so dumbfounded when someone who doesn't follow the books finds something confusing or doesn't resonate with certain storyline elements. This isn't an easy show to watch and follow. I'm speaking from myself as a casual fan of Fantasy movies/shows who doesn't read the books.

I found the finale to be just okay and found season 3 overall to be a really difficult watch. Had to keep looking online to try to keep up with all the characters being introduced and all the storylines.
Much appreciated. I think you know from my participation in shows we both follow that I am attentive and happy to details on shows.
Old 06-10-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Much appreciated. I think you know from my participation in shows we both follow that I am attentive and happy to discuss details on shows.
Old 06-10-13, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
What does the Hound stand to gain at this point by protecting Arya?
I'd say either a friend or a surrogate family.
Old 06-10-13, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
If they ever get to the point where the show catches up to the books and George RR Martin is still writing, would HBO think about "killing time" by making some prequel seasons?
Yeah. I'd love to see a prequel season or two covering Robert's Rebellion.

Most of the details there are already known; the only big open questions that I can think of involve Lyanna Stark's death and the parentage of Jon Snow...

...though there's a lot of speculation regarding those questions that seems to arrive at logical conclusions.

It would be awesome to see the Mad King kill Ned's father and brother, the war, Jon Arryn, Lyanna Stark, Robert vs Rhaegar, etc. They would have to recast a lot of the roles, though with twenty-ish actors. Some, like Charles Dance could probably reprise their roles... I don't imagine Tywin Lannister looking much different fifteen years ago.
Old 06-10-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What could really be neat with a prequel trilogy is that they could (spoilers/speculation through book 5)
Spoiler:
actually show Jon's legitimate parentage rather than just relying on Bran's Greenseer visions and trying to piece it together himself.
Old 06-10-13, 04:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

They should just do a season where each episode features a Stark ancestor, always played by Sean Bean. At the end of each episode, his character should die in a new hilarious way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.