Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 08:27 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Personally, I was disappointed they didn't show the dick in a box, so to speak...
Old 06-10-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
Yeah, where some folks see "nothing happening", I see a lot of character development.
  • Dany has found her voice and has a real queen...also has an army, which is not insignificant
  • Jaime, after his ordeal, seems to be a completely different person...a sympathetic character even.
  • Tyrion has become a serious player...even perhaps in his father's eyes, which is significant
  • Cersei finally seems to recognize that her son is a monster
  • Arya has been through the wringer and has become a truly dark character
  • Robb and Catelyn are dead
  • Theon is apparently a shell of his former arrogant self
  • Jon Snow is home after an ordeal, and a hell of a breakup and will ideally be less of an idealist

The only major characters who didn't change significantly are Tywin, Stannis, Joffrey and Sansa.

Where most TV shows have one or two characters at most that truly change over the course of the show and might kill off one major character, this show is playing on another level.
Well said. I would add Sam as being more confident, especially dealing with women and white walkers, heh.
Old 06-10-13, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Boring. It amazes me this this show has essentially 13 episodes to work with and nothing much happens week to week. I'm sure I'll get slammed for saying that, especially by the book readers, but realistically not much given 13 episodes happened. Essentially:

Dragon Queen gained some people; still stuck on other continent
John Snow; went in the snow and came back
Arya killed a guy; still wandering around the country
Kings Landing Lot sat at some tables and talked
Rob; screwed up and died (significant!)
Bran wandered around the woods and accidentally took control of two wolves and Hodor. At least next season looks like snow woods
Rhein; wothless waste of every minute this season. I fast forwarded through the scenes again
Sansa; still stuck and crying in Kings Landing

The highlight his season was easily Jamie and Brienne. Their relationship progressed and I feel like their characters developed.

Cannot say I've been blown away; or am itching to see next season.
Dumbest post I've read about GoT. Hey it's not the way I want it to be so it'd no good. Please stop watching.
Old 06-10-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I certainly don't think having an opinion on lack of development and characters is dumb. One of the worst things this show is guilty of, perhaps the books are better, is the sense of time and progression. With out appropriate context it can be very difficult to get a sense of how long some of these characters are in their situations.

Example, when Rob found out his wife was pregnant, she didn't have any physical signs. Yet at the end of the wedding she seemed to be visibly showing. So that's an extra month or two for plans to leak, and planning between Bolton and Tywin?
Old 06-10-13, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/09/ga...hrones-future/
Old 06-10-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Example, when Rob found out his wife was pregnant, she didn't have any physical signs. Yet at the end of the wedding she seemed to be visibly showing. So that's an extra month or two for plans to leak, and planning between Bolton and Tywin?
How long do you think it takes armies to march? Or ravens to travel around the kingdom with messages? When everyone was finding out about the Red Wedding and the Walkers, days (if not weeks) had past.

We're hitting the highlights with these characters. When they are just walking along doing nothing, we're not seeing any of that. This has been established since the first episodes when the king made the trek to Winterfell (which took a month).
Old 06-10-13, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are just too many characters and plot lines going to completly give you the complete story on what going on with everything. This is an issue with basically all books that are translated to visual media though, but with the density of these books with HBO only doing 10 episodes a year, you are bound to have plot lines that are not as fleshed out as much as we would like. Of course if they did flesh out the character development and storylines more, then more people would be saying how boring this show is.
Old 06-10-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
How long do you think it takes armies to march? Or ravens to travel around the kingdom with messages. When everyone was finding out about the Red Wedding and the Walkers, days (if not weeks) had past.
Has the show given any hints to the size of Westeros?
Old 06-10-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
The only substantive info I recall yesterday was the wall is 500 or 700 miles wide.
Old 06-10-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yep, the map you see at the beginning of each show. Take that with that it took a month to march from King's Landing to Winterfell to give you an idea of size.
Old 06-10-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

More of a medical biological question: how does Theon manage to piss if they've completely removed his dick? I thought he was castrated, which means they removed his balls only. I doubt he would be able to survive much longer with no way to urinate.

For anyone who has an issue with the pacing, they might want to stay away from the books. After they finish covering the events of "Storm", everything will really seem complacent if they follow the original story. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a two year break between seasons at some point where they authentically let time pass. Martin said he thinks he should have let more time expire between books three and four. They could conceivably do that on the show if they move some things around a bit.
Old 06-10-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They will never do a 2-year break between seasons. This show is money and HBO isn't going to let it wilt on the vine for that long.
Old 06-10-13, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
More of a medical biological question: how does Theon manage to piss if they've completely removed his dick? I thought he was castrated, which means they removed his balls only. I doubt he would be able to survive much longer with no way to urinate.

For anyone who has an issue with the pacing, they might want to stay away from the books. After they finish covering the events of "Storm", everything will really seem complacent if they follow the original story. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a two year break between seasons at some point where they authentically let time pass. Martin said he thinks he should have let more time expire between books three and four. They could conceivably do that on the show if they move some things around a bit.
Yeah that occurred me too, I guess to add to his humiliation Theon is going to be doing the pee-pee dance for the rest of the show.
Old 06-10-13, 09:54 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

A figure I've heard bandied around before is that Westeros is approximately the size of South America.
Old 06-10-13, 09:55 AM

I certainly don't think having an opinion on lack of development and characters is dumb. One of the worst things this show is guilty of, perhaps the books are better, is the sense of time and progression. With out appropriate context it can be very difficult to get a sense of how long some of these characters are in their situations.

So I am a fan of the show and liked the last 3 episodes especially but Superman07 does raise a valid point in my opinion. The show does not do a good job at all defining how much time has passed within the episode, sometimes episode to episode and from season to season. I think they could honestly handle this much better.
Old 06-10-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
They will never do a 2-year break between seasons. This show is money and HBO isn't going to let it wilt on the vine for that long.
If they ever get to the point where the show catches up to the books and George RR Martin is still writing, would HBO think about "killing time" by making some prequel seasons?
Old 06-10-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebunk
So I am a fan of the show and liked the last 3 episodes especially but Superman07 does raise a valid point in my opinion. The show does not do a good job at all defining how much time has passed within the episode, sometimes episode to episode and from season to season. I think they could honestly handle this much better.
The source material doesn't do a very good job of it either.
Old 06-10-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only substantive info I recall yesterday was the wall is 500 or 700 miles wide.
I don't know how accurate this map is, but it makes it look like the wall is about 300 miles wide.

http://gameofthrones.net/images/West...f_westeros.jpg

and unless it's a crazy Mercator projection, that would make Westeros at least 4000 miles from the southern shores of Dorne to the most northern charted areas.
Old 06-10-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

The urethra just ends at the bottom of his abdomen instead of extending through his dick.
Old 06-10-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If they ever get to the point where the show catches up to the books and George RR Martin is still writing, would HBO think about "killing time" by making some prequel seasons?
Based on how long the last book took, my guess is book six will be done in time for season seven. Then there will probably be a long wait for book seven. I'm curious what they'll do there.
Old 06-10-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

So the guy who maimed Jaime is one of Bolton's men, yes? I would think there's retribution coming for that since Bolton is answering to Tywin now.
Old 06-10-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by thebunk
How?

Dates at the bottom of the screen? Characters commenting about how many hours/days/weeks have passed (that actually does happen from time to time)?

We know it takes a month to get from the south to the north on the main continent. When they show Sam writing a message and then in the next scene someone in another part of the world is opening that message, everyone realizes that it wasn't an email and actually had to travel there. We see messengers riding up on horseback.

I have never had a problem with the passage of time on this show.

Last edited by Draven; 06-10-13 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
How?

Dates at the bottom of the screen? Characters commenting about how many hours/days/weeks have past (that actually does happen from time to time).

We know it takes a month to get from the south to the north on the main continent. When they show Sam writing a message and then in the next scene someone in another part of the world is opening that message, everyone realizes that it wasn't an email and actually had to travel there. We see messengers riding up on horseback.

I have never had a problem with the passage of time on this show.
Exactly. The clues are there for those quick enough to catch them. I have no problems with a show leaving the slow behind.
Old 06-10-13, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis
No way it could top the drama of last week, but I liked the episode. To those who question why it didn't go out with a bang, keep in mind they're still in the middle of the third book. If they had made it to the end of the book then you wouldn't have any complaints. Basically, there's a lot still coming for next year.

I don't think it would be fair to end it on the Red Wedding, b/c you need to see the immediate reactions to that. To hold that over an entire year would mute the impact. They messed with the chronology a little, but there is no "Wow" moment immediatly after the Red Wedding to move to the episode ten conclusion. I think they did the best they could with what they did with the Daenerys storyline.
Can you imagine the shitstorm of a freakout there would have been if the finale was the Red Wedding?!? The internet would explode.
Old 06-10-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This show has me in some sort of Pre Traumatic Stress Disorder state. Watching Daenerys walk out into the crowd I was certain someone was going to stab her at any moment.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.