Game of Thrones -- "The Rains of Castamere" -- 6/02/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Rains of Castamere" -- 6/02/13

Originally Posted by Manco
I'd like to see this guys reaction:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/owf6D2vfZqM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mOoA1OtcNjM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's some funny shit right there. I like how he composes himself in the second video but goes off soon after.

"Fuck all y'all!"

Old 06-04-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

For everyone who is ready to give up, just keep watching. Next season you will get some satisfaction, though not as in spectacular a fashion as you might hope.
Old 06-04-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how that episode would really make anybody give up, but I might be underestimating just how invested people were in the Starks. After Ned, I didn't really care about any of them other than Arya, who is a pretty cool kid but has the same hardheaded streak and big mouth that doomed the rest of them.

Any rooting interest I had in the Starks transferred wholesale to Dani and Tyrion...and maybe Jon Snow to a lesser extent, though he doesn't really seem to be a player since he took the oath.
Old 06-04-13, 10:52 AM

I think that it's not so much that people loved Robb, from speaking with a few folks in the office and to friends, the consensus is that they want revenge for Ned. Combined with the fact that Robb is established in the last show of Season 1 and throughout Season 2 as a great warrior, winning every battle, and combined that with a love interest and a pregnancy, it's almost as if viewers were conditioned to cheer for him too. Now all of that is gone, and many viewers can't cope with those feelings. Goes to show that they did a great job with the episode.
Old 06-04-13, 10:58 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Starks were seen as the typical "good guys" in the series and its common for people to rally behind and root for the good guys.
Old 06-04-13, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the reason it bummed me out so much is that we've been with them for so long, all the crap they went through that we had to assume was building towards something good...then they're just all killed off without accomplishing anything. Just not used to seeing that on TV. If you would've told me they were going to die, I wouldn't have been real disappointed, because I would have assumed they'd accomplish something in dying.

Plus poor Arya traveling through Westeros for two seasons to try and find some family, and finally getting there and not being able to reunite with her mom.

Also sucks Cat never found out the boys were alive.
Old 06-04-13, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Pretty sure 6 million people didn't read that chapter simultaneously.
Exactly.
Old 06-04-13, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually stood up and cheered when they killed Lady Stark. Never liked her and didn't care much for Robb either. Seeing Talisa get stabbed repeatedly in the baby-factory wasn't fun though. Not that I cared much about the character, but watching that done to any human being isn't entertaining. Hopefully this ultimately means more screentime for the interesting characters and storylines. Lannister's will be the only ones celebrating that wedding next episode probably. Although Walder Frey gets to take a new wife (good thing they didn't catch Arya) and show he's not to be messed with so this was really good for him.
Old 06-04-13, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Arya is gonna be sooooo pissed. Her list just keeps growing.
Old 06-04-13, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Arya is gonna be sooooo pissed. Her list just keeps growing.
Ever since she started worshipping the red god her family keeps getting murdered. This is why the god of tits and wine would be best.
Old 06-04-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Ever since she started worshipping the red god her family keeps getting murdered. This is why the god of tits and wine would be best.
Arya picks the Red God over Death? Not today!
Old 06-04-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I don't see how that episode would really make anybody give up, but I might be underestimating just how invested people were in the Starks. After Ned, I didn't really care about any of them other than Arya, who is a pretty cool kid but has the same hardheaded streak and big mouth that doomed the rest of them.

Any rooting interest I had in the Starks transferred wholesale to Dani and Tyrion...and maybe Jon Snow to a lesser extent, though he doesn't really seem to be a player since he took the oath.
I was talking with a friend this week and I said the same thing. Coming into this series with no knowledge of it, I thought everything was heading toward a good (Starks) vs evil (dragon lady) showdown, but over the course of this season, I initially realized i was rooting for Dani and then I realized "holy shit, the dragon lady is the good guy!" I guess it kinda caught me off guard.

I still care about Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow, but I hoipe Dani ends up on that throne and i hope by the time her dragons are the size of house one of them sits on Melisandre and the Onion knight is around to cheer...
Old 06-04-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You guys are thinking too small.
Old 06-04-13, 12:56 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivelostr2

I still care about Tyrion, Arya, and Jon Snow, but I hoipe Dani ends up on that throne and i hope by the time her dragons are the size of house one of them sits on Melisandre and the Onion knight is around to cheer...
Arya, Tyrion, and Bran are the characters that I'm interested in their storylines. Dani to a degree as well, once she got past the whiny stage and started doing something to position herself to be able to make a viable claim for the throne.

I haven't watched the four previous episodes (though I'm reading the books and close to finishing book 5), but I can imagine there was a bit of an uproar online when Sansa and Tyrion were married, even if people aren't particularly fond of Sansa. Honestly, I feel it was the best thing for her. During her time at King's Landing, Tyrion has been kind of watching out for her and protecting her as best he could as she's a highborn lady. Granted, its probably for his own ends, but she's benefited from it.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 06-04-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by arminius
You guys are thinking too small.
I'm talking a BIG house...is that better?
Old 06-04-13, 02:30 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

more twitter fodder:

Them Lannisters on #GoT got to get got, you feel me?

-Omar

<-- (just a started on Wire season 4)
Old 06-04-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by HN
more twitter fodder:

Them Lannisters on #GoT got to get got, you feel me?

-Omar

<-- (just a started on Wire season 4)
A man's gotta have a code. Tywin, Walder, and Roose got no code.
Old 06-04-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So amazing episode.. I've seen a lot of things but watching Robb's wife get stabbed in the baby like that may have been on the brink of going over the top... Just too much..

Also, my only nitpick of the episode was the very last scene.. Kat slitting the throat of Frey's wife and then Kat getting her throat slit the same exact way.. Felt way too much like
Spoiler:
The Departed elevator scene

I just wish they would have killed Kat a different way is all.. Can't wait to see what happens next week..
Old 06-04-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,191 Likes on 4,218 Posts

Someone remind me (without spoiling anything that hasn't already aired) : Was it Roose Bolton who talked Robb into sending his bastard son to Winterfell to take it back from Theon's men rather than have him go back himself to defend his home?
Old 06-04-13, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes
Old 06-04-13, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Someone remind me (without spoiling anything that hasn't already aired) : Was it Roose Bolton who talked Robb into sending his bastard son to Winterfell to take it back from Theon's men rather than have him go back himself to defend his home?
Yes
Old 06-04-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird2340
So amazing episode.. I've seen a lot of things but watching Robb's wife get stabbed in the baby like that may have been on the brink of going over the top... Just too much..

Also, my only nitpick of the episode was the very last scene.. Kat slitting the throat of Frey's wife and then Kat getting her throat slit the same exact way.. Felt way too much like
Spoiler:
The Departed elevator scene

I just wish they would have killed Kat a different way is all.. Can't wait to see what happens next week..
Well, that is how they killed her in the book too.
Old 06-04-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Just finished the episode. All I have to say is Holy Fucking Shit!!!!!!!!

That last 12-15 minutes was a blood bath. That was the first OMFG moment on the show since Ned got his head chopped off.

Robb's pregnant wife getting stabbed continuously in the stomach was insane.

Seriously I cannot believe they actually killed off Robb Stark and Cat. Total game changer on this show.
Old 06-04-13, 04:48 PM

Another reaction video. short and sweet.

Sorry could not get it to embed correctly

Last edited by draven31; 06-04-13 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I don't read the books, so I'm not reading any of Dr. DVD's spoilers. But for the hardcore fans/book readers, are you still getting enjoyment and wow factor after watching the episode?

I would not get any pleasure basically calling scenes that are upcoming.

Reading a few of the last 10 pages of comments, seems like all the book readers knew that pivotal scene was upcoming and weren't at all surprised by it.

My question really is has reading the books and having the "inside scoop" on the material lessened the experience of watching it?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-04-13 at 05:04 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.