Reload this Page >

Doctor Who Casting News & speculation [SPOILERS]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Casting News & speculation [SPOILERS]

Old 06-03-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Doctor Who Casting News & speculation [SPOILERS]

Love the Elba and Nesbitt ideas. Also would have loved actually seeing David Morrissey as The Doctor for a couple of series..,
Old 06-03-13, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Your rumored Twelfth Doctor:
Spoiler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Daniels

A bit older than they've gone in NuWho -- actually, probably the oldest Doctor on debut since Pertwee, though I haven't gone back to check.
Old 06-03-13, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Your rumored Twelfth Doctor:
Spoiler:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Daniels

A bit older than they've gone in NuWho -- actually, probably the oldest Doctor on debut since Pertwee, though I haven't gone back to check.
Spoiler:
Hartnell, 55
Troughton, 46
Pertwee, 51
T. Baker, 40
Davison, 30
C. Baker, 41
McCoy, 44
McGann, 37
Eccleston, 41
Tennant, 34
Smith, 28
(?)Hurt, 73

At 48, he would be the third oldest actor to portray the Doctor, depending on what they do with Hurt.
Old 06-03-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I have liked all the current Doctor's yet I am curious to see what a new one can do.
Old 06-04-13, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally think Stephen Mangan would be great ... and googling shows that others agree with me.

Russel Tobey is 10/1 odds... loved his performance in Being Human (where he does comedic and dramatic well... important to a Doctor since the Tennant years) and he's already been on Who in the RTD years.

I also think Chiwetel Ejiofor would be a great Doctor.

LOL... the odds have Bill Bailey at 50/1.

Last edited by RobLutter; 06-04-13 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-04-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by wendersfan
I think Idris Elba should be the new Doctor.
That would be very interesting.
Old 06-04-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the writing these past few seasons under Moffat. There have been lots of clever concepts (Angels/Pandorica/Silence/River Song), even if a few fell flat, and they haven't relied on the Daleks and Cybermen as a crutch they way the prior group did. It seemed like one of the two was on every other week before Moffat.

I guess I'm also in the minority in that I liked David Tennant's doctor a little (but just a little) more.
Old 06-04-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like the writing these past few seasons under Moffat. There have been lots of clever concepts (Angels/Pandorica/Silence/River Song), even if a few fell flat, and they haven't relied on the Daleks and Cybermen as a crutch they way the prior group did. It seemed like one of the two was on every other week before Moffat.
I think the Silence were the best villians in years so I don't think we'll be seeing them anymore or they will be changed to the point of sucktitude when they come back. Love River Song as well, in fact I think the show needs even more River but who knows how they'll work her in with a new Doctor.
Old 06-04-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been enjoying the Moffat era as well. Sure, there have been a few episodes that seemed to meander, but for me, the worst episode of Doctor Who is still better than most of whatever else is on TV.

I'm not saying he can do no wrong, but I do give him a bit of slack. After all, Blink is still the single best episode that I have ever seen.

And I have to say, I was thinking that the Impossible Girl arc was going nowhere, but the finale pulled it all together brilliantly.

With all that said, I'm kind of glad that Matt Smith is moving on. It took me a long time to warm up to him, and even then, he was a poor replacement for David Tennant.
Old 06-04-13, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I guess I'm also in the minority in that I liked David Tennant's doctor a little (but just a little) more.
That's not a minority opinion; more like the popular one.

Tennant is actually my least favorite Doc. Now that is a minority opinion.
Old 06-04-13, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tennant is my least favorite NuWho Doctor, but he's definitely not my least favorite Doctor (looking at you, Patrick Troughton).
Old 06-04-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Tennant is my least favorite NuWho Doctor, but he's definitely not my least favorite Doctor (looking at you, Patrick Troughton).
My least favorite would have to be Colin Baker. Right from the start he came off as a major jerk. I should probably place equal blame on JNT for deciding to change the Doctor's personality.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 06-04-13 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I've got a real soft spot for Chris Eccleston, and wish we'd had more than one series with him. For that matter, more than a single movie with Paul McGann would've been pretty cool too.

Sylvester McCoy remains my least favorite Dr, although I don't know if I've ever actually seen any with Colin Baker starring now that I think about it.
Old 06-04-13, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I'm about 4 years too late, but I'm still holding out hope that Paterson Joseph will be tapped for the role. Hell, his portrayal of the Marquis de Carabas in Neverwhere was practially an audition:

Having just found a blog post from 2007 by Neil Gaiman, I understand now why his Marquis reminded me of The Doctor so much...
A final Dr Who connection – again, from the baggy-trousered Troughton era, when some things were more than true for me – showed itself, in retrospect, in my BBC TV series, Neverwhere.

Not in the obvious places – the BBC decision that Neverwhere had to be shot on video, in episodes half an hour long, for example. Not even in the character of the Marquis de Carabas, who I wrote – and Paterson Joseph performed – as if I were creating a Doctor from scratch, and wanted to make him someone as mysterious, as unreliable, and as quirky as the William Hartnell incarnation. But in the idea that there are worlds under this one, and that London itself is magical, and dangerous, and that the underground tunnels are every bit as remote and mysterious and likely to contain Yeti as the distant Himalayas was something, author and critic Kim Newman pointed out to me, while Neverwhere was screening, that I probably took from a Troughton-era story called “The Web of Death”.

And as he said it, I knew he was spot on, remembering people with torches exploring the underground, beams breaking the darkness. The knowledge that there were worlds underneath... yes, that was where I got it, all right.
Linky: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2007/0...infection.html
Old 06-04-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I've got a real soft spot for Chris Eccleston, and wish we'd had more than one series with him. For that matter, more than a single movie with Paul McGann would've been pretty cool too.

Sylvester McCoy remains my least favorite Dr, although I don't know if I've ever actually seen any with Colin Baker starring now that I think about it.
McGann's body of work - scores of hours and hours of ongoing Doctor Who audio dramas for Big Finish - is incredible. He is absolutely believable as The Doctor, and I wish he had had more than 2 hours screen time to demonstrate that.

McCoy's audio work, and certainly Baker's as well, are also very good. I got a chance to meet McCoy at a convention in Chicago last Thanksgiving. My son went with me, and his school had given him an assignment over the holiday - interview someone to ask them how Thanksgiving was different when they were his age. He approached McCoy, who has happy to help, provided that my son agree to one condition - that he be able do the interview "In Character".

So my son got to interview The Doctor, and learned about how Thanksgiving was celebrated (well, or not) on Gallifrey nine centuries ago. It was cool....

And after that was an impromptu lesson on playing the spoons.

Prior to becoming the Doctor, McCoy had enjoyed a successful vaudeville career - he is considered by many to be an expert spoon player. Understandably, our household is made up of pretty big fans of Sylvester McCoy - so my objectivity regarding his performance as The Doctor should probably be called into question.
Old 06-04-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc

Colin Baker's run was so plague ridden, he was fired after the Trial of The Time Lord season. McCoy had to wear a curly hair wig for the regeneration scene.
Old 06-04-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it would be interesting if the Doctor regenerated into a past doctor. Even if they did it for a half season or a few eps, it would be nice to see a familiar face or two.
Old 06-05-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
McGann's body of work - scores of hours and hours of ongoing Doctor Who audio dramas for Big Finish - is incredible. He is absolutely believable as The Doctor, and I wish he had had more than 2 hours screen time to demonstrate that.

McCoy's audio work, and certainly Baker's as well, are also very good. I got a chance to meet McCoy at a convention in Chicago last Thanksgiving. My son went with me, and his school had given him an assignment over the holiday - interview someone to ask them how Thanksgiving was different when they were his age. He approached McCoy, who has happy to help, provided that my son agree to one condition - that he be able do the interview "In Character".

So my son got to interview The Doctor, and learned about how Thanksgiving was celebrated (well, or not) on Gallifrey nine centuries ago. It was cool....

And after that was an impromptu lesson on playing the spoons.

Prior to becoming the Doctor, McCoy had enjoyed a successful vaudeville career - he is considered by many to be an expert spoon player. Understandably, our household is made up of pretty big fans of Sylvester McCoy - so my objectivity regarding his performance as The Doctor should probably be called into question.
This is an awesome story.
Old 06-05-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
My least favorite would have to be Colin Baker. Right from the start he came off as a major jerk. I should probably place equal blame on JNT for deciding to change the Doctor's personality.
And this is how wonderfully diverse Who fandom is to me. Colin is actually my second favorite Doc (after Tom). But I can see how other fans wouldn't like him.

But not liking Troughton? That's just crazy town bananapants, man.
Old 06-05-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Rumors are flying around that Helen Mirren is a contender, and that she'd love to do it. Personally I can't see it happening, but it would get me to watch again, that's for sure.
Old 06-09-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another new Doctor contender? Rory Kinnear.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ctor-role.html
Old 06-10-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

It's already been denied via a friend of his:

Old 06-10-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Just to fuck with people, they should give the role to Eric Roberts. He has played a Time Lord before.
Old 06-10-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Just to fuck with people, they should give the role to Eric Roberts. He has played a Time Lord before.
I think Gordon Tipple would be better at the role.
Old 06-10-13, 01:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

At this point, I think it's easier to just list British actors who AREN'T rumored to be getting the role.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.