Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Community -- The Final Season -- News/Rumors/Casting etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/dan-...l-installment/

As we reported at the time of NBC’s 11th hour renewal of Community, there had been interest in bringing series creator Dan Harmon for what I hear is expected to be the final 13-episode season of the cult comedy. (It is not on NBC’s fall schedule). I have learned that both Harmon and key former Community writer-producer Chris McKenna have been approached about rejoining the show for its final chapter. Harmon is currently unattached while McKenna is under an overall deal at NBC sibling Universal TV. McKenna, who served as co-executive producer on the Sony TV-produced Community for its first three seasons, left last May to move to Uni TV. Creator/executive producer Dan Harmon was replaced as showrunner by David Guarascio and Moses Port a couple of weeks later. I hear Guarascio and Port had a one-year deal and were approached about coming back but opted to move on.

Not surprised that they are planning season 5 to be the final season. Sounds like it will be 13 episodes and wrapped.

I am surprised that Guarascio and Port left as showrunners. I know the consensus here is they fucked up the show.

I guess that's the reason why they are asking Dan Harmon to come back for the final season in some capacity.
Old 05-28-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Community -- The Final Season -- News/Rumors/Casting etc.

And probably because Chevy left, who I'm assuming will not be coming back.

Meanwhile, I still have 5 episodes to get through on the DVR.
Old 05-28-13, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I swore off the show at the end of this season, but if Harmon comes back, that would be the one thing that would change my mind.
Old 05-28-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Season 4 was all Abed's ultra meta dream, Season 5 corrects course and Jeff properly graduates. Pierce is kidnapped by North Koreans.
Old 05-28-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

If Harmon comes back what are the odds he comes up with a creative way to wipe out last season completely? i.e. Jeff's still in school, we don't get Chang as part of the group, no Troy and Britta nonsense, Changnesia, etc.

And for god's sake, write out Chang.
Old 05-28-13, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This would probably be one of the top 5 things that ever happened to me.
Old 05-28-13, 03:48 PM
Banned by request

Yes, definitely write out Chang. In fact, let's stop Ken Jeong from ever appearing on film or TV again.
Old 05-28-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Dan Harmon Exploring Possible Return to 'Community'
9:22 PM PDT 5/27/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

The former showrunner is in talks with studio Sony Pictures Television for a return to the cult comedy he created.

The creator of NBC's Community is in talks with studio Sony Pictures Television to return in some capacity for the series' upcoming fifth season, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Details on just what role the former showrunner would have remain unclear.

Harmon broke the news during his Harmontown podcast on Sunday, according to HollyWookiee.com, which had a reporter present for the taping. According to the site, Harmon told the audience that he has been asked to return to Community -- and later asked that his comment be edited out of the podcast, which has not yet been released online.

NBC renewed the Joel McHale starrer May 10, a day after the comedy wrapped its fourth season even year-over-year with its third frame, which was overseen by Harmon. David Guarascio and Moses Port took over this season, with some critics noting Community had lost the edge it had under Harmon.

Following his turbulent run on Community -- which included an unflattering voicemail from series co-star Chevy Chase -- Harmon has been vocal about his firing from the show he created. "I would have fired me," he told KCRW's The Business in August. "Sony was always so bummed out about the way I wrote and thought, and they always fantasized about doing the show without me."

Harmon also acknowledged the Chase brouhaha during his podcast taping, joking that he would only return if the actor -- who exited the show in November -- was brought back to the series as well.

A spokesperson for Sony Pictures Television told THR that there was nothing official to report at this time.

For NBC, Harmon's return would help solidify Community, one of only two returning comedies the network has for 2013-14. (The series was left off the fall schedule, with a midseason debut once again.)
Old 05-28-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
If Harmon comes back what are the odds he comes up with a creative way to wipe out last season completely? i.e. Jeff's still in school, we don't get Chang as part of the group, no Troy and Britta nonsense, Changnesia, etc.

And for god's sake, write out Chang.
Troy and Britta was nonsense Harmon set up.
Old 05-28-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

"set up" being the correct phrasing. This past season showed the actors have no chemistry together so we can write it off as a fling.
Old 05-28-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yes, definitely write out Chang. In fact, let's stop Ken Jeong from ever appearing on film or TV again.
Old 05-28-13, 10:38 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
"set up" being the correct phrasing. This past season showed the actors have no chemistry together so we can write it off as a fling.
Ironically, their break-up episode was one of the few bright spots of this past season.
Old 05-29-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I am surprised that Guarascio and Port left as showrunners. I know the consensus here is they fucked up the show.
Did they leave? I haven't read about it anywhere.
Old 05-29-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Ironically, their break-up episode was one of the few bright spots of this past season.
That's what happens when you let an oscar winning writer take lead for a week.
Old 05-29-13, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Did they leave? I haven't read about it anywhere.
Looks like you ignored the story in my op.
Old 05-29-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

All I ever wanted was for Community to get 4 seasons so that Jeff could graduate and the story would come to it's natural end. Rewind a year and it looked like that was exactly what we were going to get. Unfortunately Harmon got fired and Community became just another show for me. I still watched and still enjoyed it to a certain degree, but it was the same as how I still watched and kind of still enjoyed the last couple of seasons of the Office. It wasn't good, but I liked the characters and it was something to watch. I'd be fairly content to just ignore the season 4, but the two biggest plot points that the show had been building to since the beginning (Jeff meeting his dad and Jeff graduating) were both resolved during the season. The problem of course was that they were resolved in a wholly unsatisfying way by someone other than the person who originally conceived those stories. I felt kind of cheated.

Now it appears that Harmon might get a second chance. In a perfect world, season 4 would just be ignored completely and Chevy Chase would come back everyone would just learn to get along and go out in a blaze of glory. Well, we already know Chase isn't coming back and I honestly can't imagine season 4 will just be ignored. As much of an asshole as Harmon seems to be, that just seems completely disrespectful to the people who worked on season 4, especially seeing as how a lot of those writers/directors would presumably be back for season 5. I'd be very interested to see where he would go with the show, but no matter what, the idea of a perfect 4 season story arc is compromised and I can't deny that makes me a little sad.
Old 05-29-13, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
All I ever wanted was for Community to get 4 seasons so that Jeff could graduate and the story would come to it's natural end. Rewind a year and it looked like that was exactly what we were going to get. Unfortunately Harmon got fired and Community became just another show for me. I still watched and still enjoyed it to a certain degree, but it was the same as how I still watched and kind of still enjoyed the last couple of seasons of the Office. It wasn't good, but I liked the characters and it was something to watch. I'd be fairly content to just ignore the season 4, but the two biggest plot points that the show had been building to since the beginning (Jeff meeting his dad and Jeff graduating) were both resolved during the season. The problem of course was that they were resolved in a wholly unsatisfying way by someone other than the person who originally conceived those stories. I felt kind of cheated.

Now it appears that Harmon might get a second chance. In a perfect world, season 4 would just be ignored completely and Chevy Chase would come back everyone would just learn to get along and go out in a blaze of glory. Well, we already know Chase isn't coming back and I honestly can't imagine season 4 will just be ignored. As much of an asshole as Harmon seems to be, that just seems completely disrespectful to the people who worked on season 4, especially seeing as how a lot of those writers/directors would presumably be back for season 5. I'd be very interested to see where he would go with the show, but no matter what, the idea of a perfect 4 season story arc is compromised and I can't deny that makes me a little sad.
The starving children around the world makes ME sad. But both things are real problems in the world, I guess.
Old 05-29-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Was there this much of a row raised when Larry David left Seinfeld? Most people probably didn't even know what a showrunner was until a few years ago.
Old 05-29-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Was there this much of a row raised when Larry David left Seinfeld? Most people probably didn't even know what a showrunner was until a few years ago.
Think people knew right around the time Larry David left Seinfeld...
Old 05-29-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Larry David wasn't fired though, was he?
Old 05-30-13, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

No.
Old 05-30-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
The starving children around the world makes ME sad. But both things are real problems in the world, I guess.

But in all seriousness, I would let my own children starve if it meant I could fix my favorite tv show. But hey, priorities...
Old 05-30-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A "row raised" by fans? In 1996 when he left, TV, tv news and the internet were a very different place. I do vaguely recall hearing that Larry David was leaving the show, but I didn't really know what that meant at the time.
Old 05-30-13, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry David isn't quite to Seinfeld that Dan Harmon is to Community. That's not even to say Larry David was more or less important. It's just a different set of parameters and a different outcome. It's also not as though Larry David left and they hired two guys who worked on Wings but made their own shitty show that quickly got canned to take over for him.

My guess is that Season 4 will quickly be shown to be the "Lamest timeline" and we'll see a reboot. My guess is that McKenna would actually be the showrunner and would therefore be tasked with managing Harmon? That could really work out pretty well I think if so.

I don't really blame the Season 4 showrunners too much. The fact that they gave it a shot, gave us a few half decent moments, and ultimately had the intelligence to move on because it didn't work says a lot about them as people to me. I'll probably give their next project a shot out of appreciation.
Old 05-31-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Looks like you ignored the story in my op.
I stopped reading in the middle. I lose interest qu

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.