Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-13, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

Originally Posted by JTH182
Anyone else notice Lucille's prison number was "hello" if you were typing it on an old calculator?
annyong
Old 05-28-13, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GOB's second episode, the one with Tony Wonder, is among the best episodes of the entire series. Maeby's and Buster's were also both very strong.
Old 05-28-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think the fantastically film geek storyline compensates for the slower pace (it isn't as rapid fire as the TV show) and I think it works out great.
Old 05-28-13, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
Holy god, what happened to Steve Holt?
He's gained some weight, but the receding hairline was done with makeup.

As for Judy Greer, she looks better in this than she did in the old episodes.

I'm through 7 episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I loved the joke about how Ron Howard's daughters were named after where they were conceived.
Old 05-28-13, 10:12 PM
Banned by request

I've always thought Judy Greer was a looker. Loved that she's flashing on her Imagine ID badge.
Old 05-28-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My buddy just finished the season and couldn't stop talking about how they need to make the movie now. In the same breath, he said he was glad he saved his Netflix free trial until now, but he doesn't know what he's going to do if they do make a movie and he needs his account again. I don't know how people can expect Netflix to continue making new installments, if they are unwilling to even pay for the service.
Old 05-28-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
My buddy just finished the season and couldn't stop talking about how they need to make the movie now. In the same breath, he said he was glad he saved his Netflix free trial until now, but he doesn't know what he's going to do if they do make a movie and he needs his account again. I don't know how people can expect Netflix to continue making new installments, if they are unwilling to even pay for the service.
Well, I assume the movie would get a theatrical release. Although if Netflix is still involved they may get it before it goes to video.
Old 05-28-13, 10:39 PM
Banned by request

The movie better get a theatrical release. By the time they get around to releasing it on Netflix (or, as Maeby thinks of it, "The Netflick"), Fakeblock will prevent us from doing anything on the internet at all.
Old 05-28-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Up to episode 5, and really did not enjoy the Tobias or Lindsey episodes at all. I know about the issues with scheduling, etc so it was difficult to get all the actors together, but this shows functions the best when everyone is together working off each other. The other episodes were solid, but a bit disappointed at this stage.
I'm through 5 now and the Michael episodes are my favorite, Tobias/Lindsey (when Tobias is on screen) my second favorite. Didn't care much for the George Sr episode (2).

It's funny, but so far not as quick as the original. I think it's two factors: 1) The original had the entire cast clipped fast together from one scene to another so no single story carried an episode, and 2) the 22-24-minute time format forced tighter editing. A few times, scenes seem to go on too long.

And I agree with several other posters that the George and Lucille flashbacks don't do anything for me. They're trying way too hard (or not hard enough LOL).

But I am interested to see where the Michael/Ron's daughter and Michael/George Michael relationships go.
Old 05-28-13, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm four episodes in and really enjoying it, although it has some of the worst greenscreen work I've ever seen.
Old 05-29-13, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second Gob episode is probably my favorite episode of the show.

I finished the season, and didn't really like the ending because of what a big cliffhanger it is, especially since there's no guarantee for more.
Old 05-29-13, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by Drexl
He's gained some weight, but the receding hairline was done with makeup.

I'm through 7 episodes so far, and I'm really enjoying it. I loved the joke about how Ron Howard's daughters were named after where they were conceived.
He really didn't gain that much wait. No more than one does with a good 8 years of otherwise no work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLyip8Fvw8

And really, that Ron Howard thing is more creepy than you could imagine. Just think of having where you were your parents banged to make you in your name...
Old 05-29-13, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, I'm on the 11th episode after watching the original 53. So here's my thoughts.

1) There is no way in hell this season could have ever worked on network television, at least not in this format. This season was made for the fans of the show, and there is just so much a new viewer would never be able to understand.

2) I understand why they went with the format they did. It wouldn't be easy (if even possible) to get everyone available at the same time, so they did their best to work around it. Unfortunately, it does mean the show loses a bit by not having the full cast available together. Will Arnett has been almost completely absent from the show other than his episode. Same with the kids.

3) That being said, they've done very well with what they had available to them. Just about all of the supporting characters from the original series have come back (Annyong!), the references and call backs to the series have been awesome, and they have had some interactions that were never used much on the show (Lucille and Tobias for example).

4) I'm glad they didn't just skip ahead to present day. The economy in California in the missing years was too important to ignore.
Old 05-29-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Season 4 was really just one gigantic episode, and it was awesome! Like you said, it couldn't have worked on regular TV.
Old 05-29-13, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, and I just remembered in watching episode 12, which was Maeby's arrested development, they paid tribute to the sorority girl letter. How fucking cool and fast of them to do so was that? Epic.
I couldn't believe they got that in there. Sooo funny!
Old 05-29-13, 10:34 AM

One of my favorite jokes is how George Michael hates his name because of George Michael's public restroom bust, then goes and changes it to George Maharis. An actor who was busted for having sex in a public restroom with his boyfriend named...Perfecto.
Old 05-29-13, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Very well done.

I haven't read any critical reactions yet. I tend to enjoy the TV coverage over at NYMag, but normally it is the drama critiques written by MZS, but the AD work were merely plot synopsis recaps with some running joke pointing out, no actual critical analysis.

Any recommendations? I'd love to read some worthwhile criticism of these episodes.
I really like this piece:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...gether/276320/

Unfortunately, it's few and far between. Too many of the reviews simply focus on "where's the ensemble?" without doing much to look at what is there.
Old 05-29-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Ok, now this is getting awesome. On episode 5 and it's finally all starting to come together where you see the overlap in characters. Fantastic.
Old 05-29-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

I'm only two episodes in and I pretty much hated the George Sr episode. Felt the timing is off. Also felt like Michael in Episode 1 is a completely different guy than Michael in S1-3 (who was unlucky but still likable and not a total moron). Glad to hear it gets better.
Old 05-29-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Also, the statements about you not being able to notice that some of the actors are not together and green screened is total bullshit. I could probably point out every scene like that. Sometimes it does take away from the show as it is distracting, but I understand why they had to do it.
Old 05-29-13, 04:43 PM
Banned by request

Having finished season four, I've decided to go back to season one and watch it all in order. I've made a huge right decision.
Old 05-29-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Having finished season four, I've decided to go back to season one and watch it all in order. I've made a huge right decision.
I'm doing that right now. I'm on episode 6 of the first season now.
Old 05-29-13, 04:54 PM

The only scenes that I could tell were green screened were the ones with George Sr. and Oscar. It's like they didn't even try.
Old 05-29-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Also, the statements about you not being able to notice that some of the actors are not together and green screened is total bullshit. I could probably point out every scene like that. Sometimes it does take away from the show as it is distracting, but I understand why they had to do it.
I didn't pick up on those scenes as much as I did on the blatant cgi backgrounds and whatnot used in some episodes. That was distracting but didn't hurt my overall enjoyment of the show at all.
Old 05-29-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I'm done, I have a few thoughts.
  • To those who are complaining about the quality of the season, did you even watch it during the original run on FOX? I would argue this new season is far stronger in quality than season 3 even with the lack of an ensemble. Everything that Hurwitz and company were good at was just expanded on in this season. For the viewers who pay attention, you're rewarded numerous times in each episode.

• To those who are complaining about no new running gags, did you even pay attention during this season? COME ON! You wouldn’t tip an African American, would you?

• I got a bit misty eyed when "Come Clean With You" started playing during the finale noting that this was the fourth time in my life where I didn't know if this show was going to come back or not. With the cliffhangers the finale ended on, I hope we see it in one form of media or another. Hopefully without Seth Rogen and Kristen Wiig.

Some questions before I re-watch the season again in a few weeks.
  • So what exactly happened to Lucille II?

• Why was Lucille's trial held at a crab shack? I was assuming it was based upon maritime law, but the joke wasn't explained.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.