Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

Old 05-31-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
I'm a first-time user of Netflix and subscribed just for AD. As much as I want to support Netflix because of AD, I have to say that I haven't found anything compelling about Netflix itself.

I currently have Amazon Prime because of the free shipping and I don't see too much more in Netflix that I don't already get on there.

I'll likely keep it an extra month just to say "thank you for AD," but after that, I'll cancel.
I have Amazon Prime but don't think I've ever watched more than maybe one thing on their streaming service. Most of the stuff that's decent you have to pay for. Seems like a pain trying to find anything good on Prime. Netflix I watch something on it several times a week. If I want to pay to stream a movie PPV style I'll use VUDU..they and Netflix have the best A/V streaming quality..although maybe Amazon's app is just crappy on my blu-ray player. Only 720p and no DD+ audio.

Anyway with Netflix, $8/month is basically nothing. If you are interested in any of the original shows and might watch even one movie or random TV show a month it's worth it. I'm looking forward to Lilyhammer season 2, I didn't know anything about that show when I started watching and was pleasantly surprised. Still need to watch House of Cards.
Old 06-01-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
I have Amazon Prime but don't think I've ever watched more than maybe one thing on their streaming service. Most of the stuff that's decent you have to pay for. Seems like a pain trying to find anything good on Prime. Netflix I watch something on it several times a week. If I want to pay to stream a movie PPV style I'll use VUDU..they and Netflix have the best A/V streaming quality..although maybe Amazon's app is just crappy on my blu-ray player. Only 720p and no DD+ audio.

Anyway with Netflix, $8/month is basically nothing. If you are interested in any of the original shows and might watch even one movie or random TV show a month it's worth it. I'm looking forward to Lilyhammer season 2, I didn't know anything about that show when I started watching and was pleasantly surprised. Still need to watch House of Cards.
It actually may be the app on your blu-ray player. I have the Amazon app on my blu-ray player and hate it. It's awful. But on my Roku, it's super-easy to use and find anything. We watch TV shows and movies through it all the time.

Netflix does seem to have a lot of Disney, which I like, but it's not worth $8/month to us because we do use Vudu too.

I can see why someone would like Netflix, but as someone who's already used to Amazon, it just doesn't add enough additional value to me to use, sad to say.

But as long as they keep putting out shows like AD, I'll keep resubscribing. :P
Old 06-02-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's still hard for me to believe that Hemlock Grove cost $50 million with how cheap it looked. True Blood is an all around better show and cost nearly half that. I bet this season of AD was more expensive than any of first three seasons because of cast salary alone. Anyway, hopefully Netflix uses its money wisely in the coming years and we can more quality original entertainment and maybe another season of AD.
Old 06-02-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc View Post
Finished it and really enjoyed it, flaws and all. It's wildly ambitious and flails about but still made me laugh more than any other TV show I've watched recently.

I was a bit disappointed that there was so LITTLE closure - it just kind of stops, even though the final scene is quite brilliant. But Hurwitz sets so many balls flying in the air and has set up such an intricate network of interlocking plotlines that I was a bit put off to see he never really brings them all together into a satisfying climax.
Spoiler:
What the hell happened to Lucille 2 anyway and will we ever find out?

That said, so glad to see this show is back and hopefully it can return again - maybe without the cast split up quite so much or so clumsily.

Favorite episodes - all the Tobias and Gob ones, and the Maebe one turned out surprisingly good considering she's my least favorite character.

Worst episodes - I love Jeffrey Tambor but somehow the plots of his episodes never quite came together for me (Why did he and Oscar switch personalities so much? Was this ever explained?)

Best guest star - Ben Stiller did a terrific job bringing Tony Wonder back.

Worst guest star - Seth Rogen's George Sr is just bad, took me out of the show every time he appeared. Wiig did a much better job as Lucille.

Best development - I love how George Michael's character changed and grew up, of all the cast he probably "changed" the most.

Worst development - Not enough Buster, and his sole episode was kind of a letdown for me - the big hand felt just kind of overcooked and I didn't buy his relationship with Mrs Love one bit.
I agree with about everything you say here. While I think this was amazing that they were able to bring this show back after 8 years with all of the cast I still like to first three season better. I was mostly okay with everybody's chqracterizations but Michael and Lindsey. Michael maybe was a little full of himself thinking he was better than his family earlier in the series but, he never been the jerk that he was here. And Lindsey actually going through with and having sex with other people didn't feel right to me. And I wonder in whatever form this comes back again will they acknowledge that both Maeby and Tobias are registered sex offenders?
Old 06-02-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
It's still hard for me to believe that Hemlock Grove cost $50 million with how cheap it looked. True Blood is an all around better show and cost nearly half that. I bet this season of AD was more expensive than any of first three seasons because of cast salary alone. Anyway, hopefully Netflix uses its money wisely in the coming years and we can more quality original entertainment and maybe another season of AD.
The cast actually wasn't paid that much (at least, it seems to me).

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/live-...alaries-526530
Old 06-02-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 683 Likes on 527 Posts

I saw just one teaser of hemlock grove and it was when the guy turns into a wolf and eats the remnants of his own flesh. Cool scene but was instantly turned off due to it being regular wolves instead of the humanoid "Howling" werewolves. We need a real flick like that again. Even Underworld (the first and second film) did that right.
Old 06-02-13, 12:31 PM

This might be the first show to use an altogether different story telling formula.

You need to know the first three season pretty well and watch the episodes of season 4 quickly to even start to 'get it'.

When talking to friends and collegues its kinda funny to establish where everybody is on watching this to know what is OK to talk about. And you want to go beyond that... cause it's so awesome!

Arrested Development and Community are my favorite shows of the last decade. Crossover?
Old 06-02-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick_N View Post
Arrested Development and Community are my favorite shows of the last decade. Crossover?
Did you notice the Dan Harmon cameo?
Old 06-02-13, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
Did you notice the Dan Harmon cameo?
Marry me!

Indeed, i was going for that. With Harmon back for season 5 of Community, i want a AD cameo. Boy George or Maebe.
Old 06-02-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They also did a cameo "spiritual" crossover with the four guys from Workaholics working at the airport. My mind would have been blown if they worked in the actual characters.
Old 06-02-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's potato chips are in the season as well...
Old 06-02-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
They also did a cameo "spiritual" crossover with the four guys from Workaholics working at the airport. My mind would have been blown if they worked in the actual characters.
Three. And Hurwitz actually appeared on one of the first episodes of Workaholics thus explaining the cameo from the guys.

My favorite, most under-appreciated cameo was Josh Trank appearing as one of the lawyers getting Tobias for his use of the Fantastic Four.
Old 06-02-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Three. And Hurwitz actually appeared on one of the first episodes of Workaholics thus explaining the cameo from the guys.
Nope. Four! The maintenance guy was Montez. The guy who is always being a dick in the office.
Old 06-02-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc View Post
I was a bit disappointed that there was so LITTLE closure - it just kind of stops, even though the final scene is quite brilliant. But Hurwitz sets so many balls flying in the air and has set up such an intricate network of interlocking plotlines that I was a bit put off to see he never really brings them all together into a satisfying climax.
This was my fear from the time I heard the showrunner describe the season as "the first half" of his movie plotline. I wish he hadn't bet the whole storyline on it continuing past here.
Old 06-03-13, 07:00 PM
Banned

Well, finally broke by Arrested Development cherry over the weekend. watched the first 8 or so episodes of the first season. Love it. I am addicted.
Old 06-03-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick_N View Post
This might be the first show to use an altogether different story telling formula.

You need to know the first three season pretty well and watch the episodes of season 4 quickly to even start to 'get it'.
Well, I just finished episode 7 of 13 (I think that was it--the first Gob episode) and I'm starting to lose faith in this season (no pun intended).

While there are a few laughs in every episode--mostly as tie-ins to the original series--I'm finding this season as a whole to be not nearly as tightly written as the first three seasons and extremely confusing at times--as though Horowitz was on a tremendous amount of caffeine while writing the scripts. This Gob episode had about a four minute block where Ron Howard just narrated one random instance after another. I found it incomprehensible.

Being forced to have each AD character sustain their own storylines without mixing them up (as in the original seasons) has left the episodes feeling laggy and disjointed. Perhaps not having a hard show length has also made them lax in the editing.

I dunno. I'll finish it because AD is my favorite show ever. I've watched the first three seasons multiple times. But season 4 seems more like a bunch of really long webisodes for fans than it does an actual coherant show with the brilliance and tightness of the first three seasons.

I know most of the posts in here are from other AD fans, and it seems most of you are enjoying this season. But does anyone else agree that it seriously lacks most of the polish--not just film, but also humor--of the first three seasons? Or am I completely missing something?
Old 06-03-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

The extended run times definitely hurt more than they helped, but I feel the last 5 episodes were fine as they were. The rest of the season had its ups and downs but I really enjoyed it overall.
Old 06-04-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree with you Jury. Some of the episodes can be a bit much when you spend so much time with one character (especially George Sr.). I find myself watching them a few at a time, and I too finished the GOB episode a few days ago and don't feel the need to watch the next episode immediately, like I did when I was going through Season 2 and 3 a few weeks back.
Old 06-04-13, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
Well, I just finished episode 7 of 13 (I think that was it--the first Gob episode) and I'm starting to lose faith in this season (no pun intended).

While there are a few laughs in every episode--mostly as tie-ins to the original series--I'm finding this season as a whole to be not nearly as tightly written as the first three seasons and extremely confusing at times--as though Horowitz was on a tremendous amount of caffeine while writing the scripts. This Gob episode had about a four minute block where Ron Howard just narrated one random instance after another. I found it incomprehensible.

Being forced to have each AD character sustain their own storylines without mixing them up (as in the original seasons) has left the episodes feeling laggy and disjointed. Perhaps not having a hard show length has also made them lax in the editing.

I dunno. I'll finish it because AD is my favorite show ever. I've watched the first three seasons multiple times. But season 4 seems more like a bunch of really long webisodes for fans than it does an actual coherant show with the brilliance and tightness of the first three seasons.

I know most of the posts in here are from other AD fans, and it seems most of you are enjoying this season. But does anyone else agree that it seriously lacks most of the polish--not just film, but also humor--of the first three seasons? Or am I completely missing something?
The first 3 seasons are better but I respect how they're telling these stories in a different way. I want a movie or another season.
Old 06-04-13, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd only want a movie if it's the only way to get a resolution to it all. A movie will just be like having 3-4 new episodes. Movie's based on TV shows are never exciting to me. Seasons are always better than movies. I really liked this. Different, and not quite as good as 1-3, but still loved it.
Old 06-04-13, 04:36 PM

This was an great season and I heard they are coming back for a season #5..I just hope we don't have to wait another 6 years for that to happen.
Old 06-04-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts

Edited together in chronological order: http://gizmodo.com/the-new-arrested-...rono-511305381
Old 06-04-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 197 Posts

Anyone notice the guy in the ATT asking kids questions commercials is in an ep of this season
Old 06-04-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 718 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Anyone notice the guy in the ATT asking kids questions commercials is in an ep of this season
I love those Straight Bait videos....
Old 06-04-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 634 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by wakwak007 View Post
This was an great season and I heard they are coming back for a season #5..I just hope we don't have to wait another 6 years for that to happen.
Since they just completed the season (judging by the Maeby letter read, not more than 2 months ago) it should be easier this time around, especially now that Hurwitz has it all telegraphed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.