Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-13, 03:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Arrested Development (Netflix) -- Season 4 Thread -- 5/26/13

Even better is the Steve Holt encounter with Maeby in her episode.
Old 05-30-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
talking about green screen, is the scene with all of them together at Lucille apartment real or was that green screen as well, so they never got together at all?
That was real. The cast was together for that scene and the one in the police station.
Old 05-31-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^ ok I'm cool with that, I can live all the other green screens.
BTW Amazing come back like an "Empire Strikes Back" or "Godfather part II" it builds on what was already great and gives us a complete different perspective
Old 05-31-13, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not surprising. There are people that pirate free, OTA shows, so pirating a show on a pay service is going to happen.

However, it's possible some of the pirates actually have Netflix, but they wanted to put the show on their iPod or something as a downloaded video, instead of as a stream.
Guilty.

Though I'll be buying the shit out of the show once it hits blu-ray.
Old 05-31-13, 11:32 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
A little something I put together in light of the stock reports and free trial folks:

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I'm definitely not planning on binging. I honestly think they should release one new episode per week but that's just me. Would be a great way for them to actually make a little bank, for example, from those who would do the one-month free trial and then pay for a second month.
I am a prophet.
Old 05-31-13, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not surprising. There are people that pirate free, OTA shows, so pirating a show on a pay service is going to happen.

However, it's possible some of the pirates actually have Netflix, but they wanted to put the show on their iPod or something as a downloaded video, instead of as a stream.
I currently subscribe, but was thinking of downloading for this exact reason so I could watch while on a treadmill or something. That would be for a second viewing obviously, but I don't think I'm going to. I did enjoy the show, and while I was thinking of getting rid of Netflix since I honestly don't even use it that much, I will stay on for a while longer since I want to support them providing original programming.
Old 05-31-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I honestly think they should release one new episode per week but that's just me. Would be a great way for them to actually make a little bank, for example, from those who would do the one-month free trial and then pay for a second month.
If people were that cheap, couldn't they just wait until all episodes have been released, then binge?
Old 05-31-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I had to check and make sure that Steve Holt was still the same actor.

I guess he's 29 now. And they messed with his hairline. Other than that, it's the same Steve Holt.
Old 05-31-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix paid $200M to get these episodes.
Old 05-31-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
If people were that cheap, couldn't they just wait until all episodes have been released, then binge?
That kind of self control is hard to come by.
Old 05-31-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That scene between GOB and Tony Wonder pretending to be gay really made me feel uncomfortable, I thought they were going to start making out at any time!

IMHO I thnk Ann is cute, no idea why everybody rips on "her?"
Old 05-31-13, 02:06 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Netflix paid $200M to get these episodes.
Where did you get this number? They only paid $100M for 26 eps of House of Cards, about 3.9mil per ep. I heard it was 3mil per episode for AD. $200M sounds like way too much.

$200M is their annual orignal programming cost.

Last edited by dex14; 05-31-13 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Where did you get this number? They only paid $100M for 26 eps of House of Cards, about 3.9mil per ep. I heard it was 3mil per episode for AD. $200M sounds like way too much.

$200M is their annual orignal programming cost.
Guardian has an incorrect title the other day:
"Netflix stock falls 6% as Arrested Development garners mixed reviews:
Internet streaming company spent $200m on the high-profile original series but it's too early to tell if gamble will pay off"

Then in the actual article:
"Many investors have been betting that the series will accelerate Netflix's subscriber growth and provide further validation of the company's decision to spend about $200m annually on original programming in an effort to make its Internet video service as compelling as any broadcast or cable TV network."

Stupid British are stupid

$100m for House of Cards, $50m for Hemlock Grove, likely a little under $50m for Arrested Development
Old 05-31-13, 02:34 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Yea...AD would be around $45 mil
Old 05-31-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Just finished it. Fantastic. I think it really hit its stride between episodes 5-9. I think Gob's and Michael's were my most favorite arcs of the show, followed by Tobias'. I really am curious as to where they'll go with this now with that ending. Certainly left us with at least 2 major cliffhangers. Overall, it was an extremely ambitious undertaking by everyone involved. I think they pretty much hit it out of the park, despite the issues with having everyone together at the same time.
Old 05-31-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like some of the theories people are coming up with based upon the finale.
Spoiler:
  • The mistake Michael made was not by having sex with Lucille II, but by playing Thing in Tobias' Fantastic Four show. Before Gob forces him to swallow the forget me not, Michael is in a banana stand polo rather than the outfit he was wearing when trying to sleep with Lucille II. This also throw another theory into play that Michael might've put Lucille II in the banana stand (there's always money in the banana stand) to recover after she fell down the stairs due to her vertigo.

• One theory has Gene Parmesan being the "murderer" of Lucille II based upon him buying knives earlier in the season.

• Rebel's mother is actually Tracy Bluth's twin sister which means George Michael finally got sleep with a cousin and Michael slept with his niece.
Old 05-31-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Finished it and really enjoyed it, flaws and all. It's wildly ambitious and flails about but still made me laugh more than any other TV show I've watched recently.

I was a bit disappointed that there was so LITTLE closure - it just kind of stops, even though the final scene is quite brilliant. But Hurwitz sets so many balls flying in the air and has set up such an intricate network of interlocking plotlines that I was a bit put off to see he never really brings them all together into a satisfying climax.
Spoiler:
What the hell happened to Lucille 2 anyway and will we ever find out?

That said, so glad to see this show is back and hopefully it can return again - maybe without the cast split up quite so much or so clumsily.

Favorite episodes - all the Tobias and Gob ones, and the Maebe one turned out surprisingly good considering she's my least favorite character.

Worst episodes - I love Jeffrey Tambor but somehow the plots of his episodes never quite came together for me (Why did he and Oscar switch personalities so much? Was this ever explained?)

Best guest star - Ben Stiller did a terrific job bringing Tony Wonder back.

Worst guest star - Seth Rogen's George Sr is just bad, took me out of the show every time he appeared. Wiig did a much better job as Lucille.

Best development - I love how George Michael's character changed and grew up, of all the cast he probably "changed" the most.

Worst development - Not enough Buster, and his sole episode was kind of a letdown for me - the big hand felt just kind of overcooked and I didn't buy his relationship with Mrs Love one bit.

Last edited by The Antipodean; 05-31-13 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-31-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Guardian has an incorrect title the other day:
"Netflix stock falls 6% as Arrested Development garners mixed reviews:
Internet streaming company spent $200m on the high-profile original series but it's too early to tell if gamble will pay off"

Then in the actual article:
"Many investors have been betting that the series will accelerate Netflix's subscriber growth and provide further validation of the company's decision to spend about $200m annually on original programming in an effort to make its Internet video service as compelling as any broadcast or cable TV network."
I'm a first-time user of Netflix and subscribed just for AD. As much as I want to support Netflix because of AD, I have to say that I haven't found anything compelling about Netflix itself.

I currently have Amazon Prime because of the free shipping and I don't see too much more in Netflix that I don't already get on there.

I'll likely keep it an extra month just to say "thank you for AD," but after that, I'll cancel.
Old 05-31-13, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

My guess with the George Sr./Oscar thing is this:

Spoiler:
The macha root thing basically turns you into the opposite of what you are. George Sr. was dominant and in charge in the previous 3 seasons, but it turned him into a whiny sissy. Oscar was a whiny sissy when we saw him, so it turned him into the dominant and in charge one. That was my take on it.
Old 05-31-13, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
My guess with the George Sr./Oscar thing is this:

Spoiler:
The macha root thing basically turns you into the opposite of what you are. George Sr. was dominant and in charge in the previous 3 seasons, but it turned him into a whiny sissy. Oscar was a whiny sissy when we saw him, so it turned him into the dominant and in charge one. That was my take on it.
Spoiler:
The theories I've heard are all based upon the fact they were not eating maca root. One of the posts on the AD subreddit:

"So I was going back and watching the episode again when I noticed Marky Bark wearing this T-shirt when he first meets Lindsey. http://i.imgur.com/URncb7p.jpg

I was wondering what Qat is and did a little research and found out it's more commonly known as Khat, plant said to cause stimulant like effects. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat

In contrast nothing on the web about the maca root brings up any drug like effects except that its used as an aphrodisiac. I suspect Oscar was actually eating this and thats why he suddenly he was getting around so much through out the season. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepidium_meyenii (Maca wiki page)
"

Other posters pointed out:

"I don't know if this is significant but Oscar mentions a commode uphill from the maca root. I feel like somebody was eating shit. [...] I believe it has something to do with birth control that some women at the seminar were on. Their pee contaminated the maca, but Oscar sweated it out, George Sr. let it sit and now his testosterone is off the charts!"

"they could also be eating mescaline. Marky Barks mom mentions mescaline multiple times, the active hallucinogenic compound in some cacti that grow in the dessert. peyote, san pedro, perivuan torch. [...] Oscar had mescaline cacti growing outside his trailer in the lemon grove."

"Maca root was also word play. George Sr. had covered to Judaism when he did Caged Wisdom, a series of motivational tapes. He was also trying to get 'back on top' after the fall of the family, and Lucile going to prison, so he was taking the macher (which in Yiddish, means "big shot") route, trying to get back on top and not being the "best big brother ever". Macher route, maca root..."
Old 05-31-13, 06:56 PM
Banned by request

I assume that guy meant George's estrogen is off the charts, not testosterone.
Old 05-31-13, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I assume that guy meant George's estrogen is off the charts, not testosterone.
Wasn't it a fake out? He said George's testosterone was off the chart, but he meant it was so low it didn't make it onto the chart. He did mention that George's estrogen was high too, although he didn't say that was off the chart.
Old 05-31-13, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Oh right, right. There's so much packed into the season that I've already forgotten some of it.
Old 05-31-13, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Where did you get this number?
Google. Possibly that Guardian article.

Netflix is a good service. I pay $15/mo for streaming, and one DVD at a time. They have a lot of good titles. Wish they could spend a load of money on acquiring rights to stream a massive amount of quality movies. I'd gladly pay $50/mo for a premium service with a huge catalog of good movies.
Old 05-31-13, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

For $8/month and a great back catalogue of older movies, TV shows and of course the new original scripted programming, it's still one of the best bargains right now.

Even though they are paying good money for stuff like Arrested Development, the main weakness for Netflix Instant is new releases. Most of the new releases on streaming are either B movies, straight to video titles, or titles that are several months to a few years old.

I read an article that said they are slowly increasing their debt by spending all the money on the originals. I have to wonder if they have any profit margin right now or if they are in the Red.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.