Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Office -- Retrospective and "Finale" -- Series Finale -- 5/16/13

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Favorite Office character?
Michael Scott
33.10%
Dwight Schrute
9.86%
Jim Halpert
15.49%
Pam Beesly
5.63%
Ryan Howard
2.11%
Stanley Hudson
0.70%
Phyllis Lapin-Vance
0%
Angela Martin
0%
Oscar Martinez
0%
Kevin Malone
4.93%
Creed Bratton
19.01%
Meredith Palmer
1.41%
Darryl Philbin
0.70%
Kelly Kapoor
2.11%
Toby Flenderson
0.70%
David Wallace
0%
Andy Bernard
0.70%
Erin Hannon
0.70%
Clark Green
0%
Pete Miller
0%
Gabe Lewis
0%
Nellie Bertram
2.82%
Todd Packer
0%
Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration
0%
Other
0%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

The Office -- Retrospective and "Finale" -- Series Finale -- 5/16/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: The Office -- Retrospective and "Finale" -- Series Finale -- 5/16/13

I'm surprised at the lack of votes for Dwight. I voted for him because he made me laugh the most out of any of the characters. Found Jim the most likeable.
Old 05-17-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Old 05-17-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
Seinfeld an A? hmmm not sure about that but everyone is entitled to their opinion
I think you'd find yourself in a pretty small minority who think that it isn't but you're entitled to your opinion as well.

I agree with that Hollywood Reporter article from earlier in the thread. The show had some moments where it was brilliant and touching and all that but it never was really consistently good for very long. I think season two it was firing on all cylinders and that season is one of my personal favorites of any show. I always wished the show would be that good again but it just never was. Even season three while I think was still good was already becoming more inconsistent.

At the end of the day I think that The Office is a fun little show with a good cast but I don't think I'll find myself wanting to go back and revisit it. I never really cared too much to even check out the last few seasons after how disappointed I became in it fairly early on.
Old 05-17-13, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by windom
So did Daryl take his daughter to Austin or did she stay behind in Scranton?
As a follow up, does anybody care?
Old 05-17-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

The office is one of my top five comedies but I don't see myself watching it in reruns very much if rarely at all.

I'm not sure why, maybe because many story lines continue and it's not as much of a single story per episode show like Seinfeld is.

Also I remember the first season, six episodes that Carrell had very thin hair and starting season two his hair was relatively thick as it is now.
Wig, weave?
Old 05-17-13, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
This guy has an intereating take on the show's legacy. I can't say I disagree with him, except that I did think the first season was actually pretty good.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bas...arewell-524154
I think the first season gets a bad rap mostly because of the disaster of the pilot and it gets over shadowed by the greatness of the second season, but Diversity Day and Basketball would probably be in my Top 10 episodes and the rest I would say are either average or above average.
Old 05-17-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringo20000
I think the first season gets a bad rap mostly because of the disaster of the pilot and it gets over shadowed by the greatness of the second season, but Diversity Day and Basketball would probably be in my Top 10 episodes and the rest I would say are either average or above average.
Yeah, I agree - those are two of the best episodes in my opinion, too. I usually think of the first season as really an extension of the second season, anyway, since it is so short. I also think Michael was at his most sympathetic as a character in those earliest episodes.

Really, two seasons of the show's entire run are abbreviated - the first summer replacement and the fourth, which was killed by the writer's strike. In a perfect world, I think the show would have been five whole strong seasons, ending with the Pam and Jim wedding, with Michael in it to the very end. No ridiculous season long plot threads like Sabre, or extraneous silly characters that populated the show in later seasons. That would have left the show's legacy as among the best sitcoms ever.
Old 05-17-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I wonder if Kevin still plays in Scrantonicity II. Also since owning a bar, has his luck with the ladies improved?

Why did Oscar get Daryl's old office? I know he became head accountant. I'm surprised Dwight would promote him and not Angela.

Who's doing Daryl's old job now?

And how have Angele's cats adapted to living on Dwight's farm? Have they become outside cats or are they still kept indoors?

So many lingering questions...
Old 05-17-13, 10:25 PM

Did they just completely drop the Erin-Pete thing? It seemed like the writers wanted us to be rooting for them earlier in the season but I don't remember much if any followup.
Old 05-17-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

I wonder if the wedding was tacked on since the spinoff got canned... Dwight wasn't supposed to be married to Angela on "The Farm," was he?
Old 05-17-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I don't think they needed to tack on the wedding.
There was plenty of time to do the ending after the spin off was nixed.
Old 05-17-13, 11:26 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Would have liked to see a bit more of Michael in the finale. Other than that, thought it was pretty good.
Old 05-17-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I wonder if Kevin still plays in Scrantonicity II. Also since owning a bar, has his luck with the ladies improved?

Why did Oscar get Daryl's old office? I know he became head accountant. I'm surprised Dwight would promote him and not Angela.

Who's doing Daryl's old job now?

And how have Angele's cats adapted to living on Dwight's farm? Have they become outside cats or are they still kept indoors?

So many lingering questions...
No, there's really not.
Old 05-17-13, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
No, there's really not.
Exactly. Good Christ man, this isn't Lost.
Old 05-18-13, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringo20000
Those are two great episodes. I've been a fan of Tim Goodman since he gave a lecture in one of my journalism classes in 2001, and even more so when his championing of arrested development almost single handedly got the show a third season. But he's guilty of what many people are in my eyes (I know, personal opinions and all that), the pilot episode of the office was absolutely wretched, and with the very short season they lump all that together. Diversity Day and Basketball are two of the best episodes of the series, and the others - save the pilot - aren't too shabby either.

But I didn't even bother watching the finale. Like Goodman, the show died for me years ago. Hearing that John K will be in the new arrested development season made me cringe. I'm so sick of Jim and Pam I never want to see the actors again.
Old 05-18-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the finale, since this season has been notoriously bad with the exception of the episodes since Dwight took over.

I thought it was a touching ending and found myself laughing at most of the episode. I'd agree that Season 2 is the best, and Season 3 is probably my second favorite. For a show that lasted 9 seasons, though, it was really all over the place in terms of quality. It's not just that quality dipped but there didn't seem to be any quality control as a whole. That's not to say it's not a show I enjoyed the ride with but when it's on reruns on TV I don't tend to watch.

I didn't look at the number for the finale but given the show has been steady in the 4-5 million range I'm going to guess it wasn't much more than that.
Old 05-18-13, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

At the end Dwight said "I'm married to my former accountant." So I would assume she quit to spend more time with the kid.
Old 05-18-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Did they ever resolve the Kevin issue that Holly brought up (i.e. is he or isn't he retarded)?
Old 05-18-13, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm guessing this was probably mentioned, shouldn't Dwight and Angela's kid have been bigger? To me, he looked the same as he did in the previous episode.
Old 05-18-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Just finished watching this. After having watched the entire run as they aired, I definitely enjoyed the finale. I liked how it wrapped everything up, and showed us where these characters were heading. I like how this show always had recurring gags, and callbacks to previous episodes. The "Thats what she said" bit, the taking a mental picture bit that Jim and Pam did a couple of times. In the finale, I was pleasantly surprised to see Elizabeth the stripper make another appearance. last time we saw her was back in season 3 I think.
Old 05-19-13, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Good send off. Reminded me of the good old days of this show. Back when we were all in it but didn't know it.
Old 05-19-13, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
At the end Dwight said "I'm married to my former accountant." So I would assume she quit to spend more time with the kid.
But she was there for the workout so she still works there. Maybe Oscar got the office since he is campaigning for the senate.

BTW, what was Daryl's job? I think they said at one point after he left the warehouse but I sure can't remember it.
Old 05-19-13, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats
BTW, what was Daryl's job? I think they said at one point after he left the warehouse but I sure can't remember it.
I don't remember if his position ever changed but initially when Kathy Bates promoted him, he was still leading the warehouse but from upstairs.
Old 05-19-13, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
But she was there for the workout so she still works there. Maybe Oscar got the office since he is campaigning for the senate.

It's possible she was just there for the workouts despite no longer working there, because her husband-to-be is the boss and she has friends there. Brides normally amp up their exercise routine before the wedding.
Old 05-19-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Well plus Oscar is the Godfather to their son, so he's family in a way, as well as a close friend to Angela.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.