Supernatural -- Season Finale -- "Sacrifice" -- 5/15/13

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts
Supernatural -- Season Finale -- "Sacrifice" -- 5/15/13

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Synopsis:

With Crowley (guest star Mark Sheppard) poised to undo all the good they've ever done as hunters, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) find themselves cornered. But with Kevin's (guest star Osric Chau) help, the Winchester brothers bound into one last play against The Demon King. Metatron (guest star Curtis Armstrong) initiates a plan with Castiel (Misha Collins) to take on Naomi (guest star Amanda Tapping) and the bureaucracy of Heaven. Alaina Huffman and Kim Rhodes also guest star. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Jeremy Carver (#823).

Episode 23 of 23

Jeremy Carver's 1st season as showrunner was overall solid. Much better than the 2 seasons with Sera Gamble as showrunner. Wasn't perfect, but good.
Old 05-16-13, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- Season Finale -- "Sacrifice" -- 5/15/13

That final sequence was extremely well done. I'm not sure how much I liked the finale, but I will say it surprised me. I expected the gates of heaven and hell to be closed and the show to reboot for next year. Couldn't have been more wrong about that.

I guess they've now learned how to cure demons and rescue people from hell. I suppose that's valuable. Taking away Cas's grace was really the only way his character could make sense as a season regular now, I suppose. Booger was surprisingly excellent as Metatron.
Old 05-16-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should have ended it with Crowley being cured. Instead, they just left him there.
Old 05-16-13, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So Metatron kicked the angels out of heaven?
Old 05-16-13, 05:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Liked it. Overall a very solid season. I like the rebooting the dynamic between the brothers... they are now more equals... I like Cas being stripped of his powers... as a series regular being so powerful was going to be a hindrance.

I'm in for another season. Can't believe this show has lasted as long as it has.
Old 05-17-13, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this finale was fantastic! I had forgotten about the "Carry on my Wayward Son" flashback intro, so that was a welcome surprise.

Man, Dean really gave Sammy some major trials blue balls. Sometimes i end up rolling my eyes when they both have a heart to heart (i guess because it feels a bit forced), but I thought both actors did an amazing job in this scene.

Crowley finally showing a glimmer of humanity was a nice touch too. And the final scene with the angels falling from Heaven? Very well done! Overall, a much better season than 6 and 7. Bring on season 9!
Old 05-17-13, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did the vampire from the end of season 7 who said "see you next season boys" ever show up this season?
Old 05-17-13, 10:47 AM

Yep, a very satisfying season finale and overall season. It's gonna be a long wait as usual!
Old 05-18-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Great finale. Although why Crowley showed up all alone to meet the Winchester boys is a bit of a headscratcher, I like when he was chained up, the way he got some of Sam's blood and made a tiny blood bowl in the cup of his hand to try to call up some of his demons (just a nice little twist on the series' established demon calling each other method).

And that was a great visual to end the episode. So is Booger the new "God" now?
Old 05-19-13, 05:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I met Curtis Armstrong this weekend at MotorCity ComicCon, he's a really great guy, and while not completely unexpected he told he was coming back next season.
Old 05-19-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It may take a misstep here and there, but somehow this show always manages to come through for me.
Old 05-20-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Man, Dean really gave Sammy some major trials blue balls.
Screw Sam, what about me? I've been wanting Crowley to get the axe for over two seasons. He's a good character and I really like the actor, but the character has overstayed his welcome on the show. He is too often, the go to bad guy.

Can someone explain to me why they didn't shut the gates of Hell? Was it just because Sam would die? The "we know so much" speech didn't make much sense and quickly turned into the standard Supernatural "You're my brother, man!" Speech Version 9.0. It's like saying don't bother curing HIV because we have the triple cocktail to manage the symptoms.

One thing I did learn from this episode, if I ever have someone bound in captivity, never, ever leave the room. That bit the captors in the ass three times in this episode.

PS. An now that The Speech has been given all we have to do is wait for one of them to start lying to the other "in order to protect him", because that always works out.
Old 05-20-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
They should have ended it with Crowley being cured. Instead, they just left him there.
I agree, have some close Hell and maybe end up in Heaven with Metatron.
Old 05-26-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It was an okay finale. Some of the speeches between Dean and Sam were a little pretentious and overwrought. I actually thought they were going to bump Crowley off, for the female demon to take over. Not the greatest Supernatural finale by any stretch, but this season was vastly improved over the Dick Roman arc from last season.
Old 05-28-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Loved this season - even with the couple of lows I felt there were it was still right up there with the best for me.

Maybe I'm crazy but it sure did feel like they increased the budget for this season in a lot of spots as well.

As always......can't wait for the next season!!! (Well, couldn't really say that after season 7 but...you know).