DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/610677-mad-men-man-plan-5-12-13-a.html)

DJariya 05-12-13 01:34 PM

Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
<img src="http://imageshack.us/a/img22/725/dondraper.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"/>

Synopsis:

Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce tries to placate competing clients; Pete is blindsided by an unexpected guest.

Episode 7 of 13

MikahC 05-12-13 03:13 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
Alexis Bledel is back?

Dragon Tattoo 05-12-13 09:54 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
"My mother can go to hell!"

Nice line considering the date. :lol:

bunkaroo 05-12-13 10:25 PM

Roger's second firing of Burt was gold.

majorjoe23 05-12-13 11:09 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 11688740)
Roger's second firing of Burt was gold.

That was amazing. "You stole my goodbye."

Red Dog 05-13-13 08:12 AM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11688705)
"My mother can go to hell!"

Nice line considering the date. :lol:

Pete and mom. :lol: Then him rolling over thinking a Kennedy boy just had been shot was part of her dementia. :lol:

Raul3 05-13-13 08:32 AM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
Roger was great.

Unfortunately they went back to this season average, or below, quality.

Tommy_Harn 05-13-13 12:48 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
Two of the best lines from this show in a long time for me:

1. The mother line, with Ted flying her there.

2. Ted- "I need something to eat".
Don- "What, the ice doesn't count?"

uteotw 05-13-13 03:24 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
Kinda liked how Joan saved the nice guy, but not really sure where they're going with that. Also liked Don's comment to Peggy about how they risked both companies just to listen to her complain again. I kinda knew anything would feel like a letdown after last week's...

Decker 05-13-13 03:51 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn (Post 11689432)
Two of the best lines from this show in a long time for me:

1. The mother line, with Ted flying her there.

2. Ted- "I need something to eat".
Don- "What, the ice doesn't count?"

I liked Rodger's crack at the meeting "Now that we've dispensed with gallantry..."

How great must John Slattery's life be? He jumps off Desperate Housewives and lands this part. He knows every week while Hamm and Kartheiser do the heavy emotional lifting, he'll be in a scene or two and be given all the best lines. It's the TV equivalent of being cast as Peter Venkman.

bluetoast 05-13-13 03:55 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
Although he directed this episode so it wasn't exactly easy for him this week. ;) He did a great job on both sides of the camera though.

Geofferson 05-13-13 03:57 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 11689913)
How great must John Slattery's life be? He jumps off Desperate Housewives and lands this part. He knows every week while Hamm and Kartheiser do the heavy emotional lifting, he'll be in a scene or two and be given all the best lines. It's the TV equivalent of being cast as Peter Venkman.

Yeah, Slattery's had an interesting career. I first remember him from Ed on NBC and a couple years later on the short-lived HBO show K-Street before he arrived on Wisteria Lane.

I saw that he also directed this week's episode of Mad Men.

Decker 05-13-13 04:02 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
I always enjoy the Grantland Mad Men Power Rankings, but this one really made me chuckle :


9. Pete Campbell (last week: 8 )

[Cue music: The theme to The Odd Couple]

"On April 14, Pete Campbell was asked to remove himself from his place of residence. That request came from his wife. Deep down, he knew she was right. But he also knew that someday, he would return to her. With nowhere else to go, he retreated to his pied--terre in Manhattan. Several years earlier, Campbell's mother, Dot, was widowed by the crash of American Airlines Flight 1. Now she needs a place to stay. Can an insufferable son being crushed by the pressures of a changing workplace and a penniless widow suffering from the early stages of dementia share an apartment without driving each other crazy?"

[Pete spears a sidewalk hot dog with the tip of an umbrella and presents it to his mother with disgust. She wanders off to set a teakettle fire.]

Decker 05-13-13 04:10 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/upl...plane-deal.gif

Jack Straw 05-13-13 08:14 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
I'm constantly amazed at how unlikable the creators of the show have made Don this season. Each show he seems to set a new low, and he wasn't exactly a prince to start with. He has gone from rudderless philanderer to just an outright creep only interested in himself and his own gratifications. He is really headed for tortured waters once his wife gets wind of what a slime he really is.

Numanoid 05-13-13 09:00 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
I think Draper will end up pulling a Hawkeye Pierce at the end of the run.

bootsy 05-13-13 09:05 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 11690335)
I think Draper will end up pulling a Hawkeye Pierce at the end of the run.

Not sure what this means but it doesn't sound promising for Draper.

RagingBull80 05-13-13 09:30 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
I thought this was a really good episode.

I wonder where they are going with the Bob character. I figured that they had something in store for him and then this episode solidified it.

Goat3001 05-13-13 09:37 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 11690240)
I'm constantly amazed at how unlikable the creators of the show have made Don this season. Each show he seems to set a new low, and he wasn't exactly a prince to start with. He has gone from rudderless philanderer to just an outright creep only interested in himself and his own gratifications. He is really headed for tortured waters once his wife gets wind of what a slime he really is.

He's Tony Soprano. As intriguing as he is, he's really just a fucking prick. And just like Tony Soprano he is more and more a prick each season.

Anyway, I don't post in these threads much and I rarely follow them despite being a bug fan of the show. I just wanted to come in here and say that Roger Sterling is one of the best characters in TV history.

majorjoe23 05-13-13 10:20 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by bootsy (Post 11690345)
Not sure what this means but it doesn't sound promising for Draper.

Jeez, kids today don't know their history. It means Don will be used as a pawn of the main villain, but will snap out of it and help repel the alien invasion with his bow and arrow.

It was a pretty big movie last year.

Astrofan 05-13-13 10:24 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 11690446)
Jeez, kids today don't know their history. It means Don will be used as a pawn of the main villain, but will snap out of it and help repel the alien invasion with his bow and arrow.

It was a pretty big movie last year.

How did Alan Alda act as a pawn for a main villain, use a bow and arrow and how was MASH a pretty big movie last year.

majorjoe23 05-13-13 10:37 PM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 

Originally Posted by Astrofan (Post 11690451)
How did Alan Alda act as a pawn for a main villain, use a bow and arrow and how was MASH a pretty big movie last year.

You're thinking of the tv remake. Donald Sutherland played him in the movie.

Numanoid 05-14-13 01:03 AM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
:lol: A lot of whooshing going on in here.

Luds 05-14-13 05:43 AM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
Not a big fan of this episode, but there were some great scenes.

Finally this boring cheating with the doctor's wife is about to end. They spent about 78% of this season on that, it ended up being Don not able to let go. I really didn't care for Pete so having him stuck with his mother and insecure at work is fine with me. Roger's scene was great, the 2nd firing. Same for Joan saving Bob.

mphtrilogy 05-14-13 07:31 AM

Re: Mad Men -- "Man With a Plan" -- 5/12/13
 
too much hotel stuff, not enough peggy, just the rigth amount of joan, and kyle chandler jr's storyline starting to make sense.. don really not looking good in all aspects of this ep, not really sure where they are going with his character at this point.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.